Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Girls

I liked the pilot as well, but the second episode didn't do anything for me. Way too much talking and not enough action.

How to Make it in America was a lot better than this.

Comment

On CNN this morning I caught a discussion of the show's story editor/writer, Leslie Arfin, who is being criticized for her tweets which are described as "ironic racisim." Apparently, reviews of the show have pointed out there are no minority characters (other than a homeless man) even though it's set in Brooklyn where "whites" are a minority. Here's an article in the Atlantic discussing Arfin's tweets:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/enter...-racism/51338/
      Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Interesting article sc111 though I disagree with the part about the 'no such thing as ironic racism.'

Satire (even if its expressed through bad jokes) should be sacrosanct.

Context is important and the ability to poke fun at most taboo hurtful subjects is healthy, because it takes away their power to injure.

If, under that rule, some of the jokes are lame or elitist or whatever, it doesn't mean they shouldn't exist.

(not saying you feel that way, just responding to the article)

Comment

the "sapphire" tweet was unfortunate and just plain stupid.
          i have to say, i watched the girls pilot, then game of thrones. realized at the end of GOT - theres a black dude! realized that was a first for that show too, and in a night of watching HBO i saw exactly one black person.

Comment

Jason Mamoa isn't exactly white, nor are most of those desert dwellers. But you're right, there's not a whole lot of color on that show.

But there's Treme at least. And True Blood.

So I guess the moral is, all of the black people live in the deep South.
            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
              On CNN this morning I caught a discussion of the show's story editor/writer, Leslie Arfin, who is being criticized for her tweets which are described as "ironic racisim." Apparently, reviews of the show have pointed out there are no minority characters (other than a homeless man) even though it's set in Brooklyn where "whites" are a minority. Here's an article in the Atlantic discussing Arfin's tweets:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/enter...-racism/51338/

Sarah Silverman can do ironic racism bits, this bunch can't pull it off in any context.

Comment

Well, I became intrigued when I saw it discussed on CNN so I checked it out. What I find bizzare is that the offending tweet in response to criticism of Girls -- that Arfin didn't feel the film Precious represented her -- was simply clueless. Unless she's possibly advocating "separate but equal" entertainment. But I'm not sure what she meant by it. The moral of the story -- think before you tweet.
                Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

I'm not going to discuss the tweets, but why the hell does the show have to represent minorities? They choose the characters they want for their story.

Comment

I was discussing the unfortunate tweets. But, as to your question -- the same criticism has been made about "Friends" and "Sex and The City."

There was an absence of people of color even as background extras for street scenes. (After such criticisms, SATC, in later seasons, threw in a couple of interacial flings the leads had.)

As for "Friends," I don't recall ever seeing any minority in the background getting a cup of coffee at the cafe they hung out at.

If you live in the New York metropolitan area, it's sort of a contortionist trick to be able to conduct your life and never pass a person of a minority race on the street or in a store or restaurant. The demographics prove otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
                      I'm not going to discuss the tweets, but why the hell does the show have to represent minorities? They choose the characters they want for their story.
                      I don't think anyone should have to represent minorities among the main characters, if writers want to focus on your own group fine, but to have virtually no minorities anywhere in a show set in NYC is like filming in Atlanta and not have any white folks on the streets downtown. It just doesn't ring true. Ultimately by not putting them in they are missing out, while diversity isn't a requirement, introducing some people of different backgrounds make it look less than like the setting was really in Morristown.

Comment

I still think it's a clear case of PCBS (Politically Correct BullSh*t). And it is very unfair to the show, because once you create the possibility in people's minds that the show might be racist, it doesn't matter what you say afterwards, the damage is done.

We aren't talking of a show with black characters eating watermelon and fried chicken (btw, there's a hilarious bit by David Chapelle on the subject.)

It's not about demographics. You choose the characters you want for your story, and cast them how you see fit. I don't believe in "passive racism", at least not in this case. Accusing Girls of not representing the demographics of NYC it's like accusing House MD of not representing the practice of medicine in a realistic way.

Comment

I still think it's a clear case of PCBS (Politically Correct BullSh*t). And it is very unfair to the show, because once you create the possibility in people's minds that the show might be racist, it doesn't matter what you say afterwards, the damage is done.

We aren't talking of a show with black characters eating watermelon and fried chicken (btw, there's a hilarious bit by David Chapelle on the subject.)

It's not about demographics. You choose the characters you want for your story, and cast them how you see fit. I don't believe in "passive racism", at least not in this case. Accusing Girls of not representing the demographics of NYC it's like accusing House MD of not representing the practice of medicine in a realistic way.

I was very clear when I mentioned demographics and said nothing about major characters.

Is it that difficult to hire Black, Latino and Asian extras to walk down the street or be in line at a coffee shop?

It has nothing to do with being politically correct.

"Sanitizing" New York scenes of all minorities who would normally be strolling in the background is really weird to me. Especially since I grew up in the New York metro area.

Comment

There's no such thing as "political correctness". It's a myth created to further a political agenda. There's just people having opinions that other people don't like.

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
                              There's no such thing as "political correctness". It's a myth created to further a political agenda. There's just people having opinions that other people don't like.
                              You can't be serious...

@sc111: "sanitizing" is a very charged word, and shouldn't be used lightly.

Comment

@sc111: "sanitizing" is a very charged word, and shouldn't be used lightly.
                                Now who's being politically correct?

Comment

Working...
                                X