X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The BlackList - Television Pilots

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
    A few things I'm wondering...

When you received the 7 and 8, did you receive 'views' on your logline when they came back, assuming you made them public? Are all the reviews visible? Or only the 7 and 8? Does your average include the 3 and 4? If your weighted average does include the low scores, it probably brings your average down quite a bit, right?

Those are some pretty huge swings, and I know Franklin stands behind his readers, but if I was an industry pro, I'd be questioning the quality of the 'opinions.' Granted, I don't know the entire history of your spec, so I'm basing my comments on yours.

How much did you end up spending on the reviews and how many months did you pay the listing fee? What was the order of the review ratings? Which came first? Did they provide expedited service on the discounted review? Or did you have to wait another three weeks?

I think I would've asked for the low scores to be removed instead of included, because the difference between any of the other numbers is significant enough to warrant their removal, imo. And of course, I don't know if TBL offered that already.
    Hard to say how much I spent. Sitcom reviews are $30 a pop plus $25 a month for hosting. Since a review can take 3 weeks, it's quite easy to spend $50 - $75 on hosting alone. However - since those swings were so wide- I was offered a few half price reviews AND one of those reviews was free for scoring an 8. (But I think THAT review was a 3, so go figure.) Yeah, those low scores knocked me off the Top page.

No on the expedited review thing. In fact, I received an apology email saying they were so backed up they were going OVER the 3 week deadline - However, they offered a month of free hosting as apology.

I can't really argue with the reviews. I didn't think there was anyone who 'didn't get it.' I understand its debatable what kind of lifespan a show like Handy Andy could have. All comedy is extremely subjective. Especially mine, it turns out. It's a very non-traditional sitcom. Hard to know if it would work on TV week to week.

Obviously I've had my ups and downs with the blacklist, but I will say this: The customer service is excellent. I report a problem and I get a response and resolution immediately. Very impressive.
    "I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
    - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Seriously, their customer service is instant, gracious and helpful. Kudos! Blacklist, you are the Zingerman's of screenwriting!

Comment

so many more places to help you break you in nowadays... used to just be the Nicholl... it's great.

Comment

Originally posted by earthbound88
          I have an issue that I don't want to start a new topic about and it kind of fits in with the discussion on this thread, so I thought I'd post it here. I don't know whether I have a real complaint or if I'm just being overly sensitive about this. I'm looking for some unbiased opinions.

I recently posted a pilot of mine on the Black List. It's a dark comedy involving subject matter that wouldn't generally be seen as comedic (think Nurse Jackie and her drug addiction or The Big C and the way it deals with cancer). The pilot received an 8. I was impressed with the coverage, the reader caught subtleties and was able to address what I was attempting to do and how well they felt I achieved that.

After I applied my free read I got for getting an 8, I received a 4. Reading the evaluation, it's clear that what's going on with this one is that the reader was incredibly offended that I was attempting to approach this subject matter from a somewhat comedic perspective. There are several specific criticisms, but they largely boil down to: "You shouldn't be joking about this, this isn't something to laugh about, this is a serious issue that you shouldn't be taking lightly." The reader wasn't saying that the comedy was done poorly, but that it was wrong to attempt to include anything comedic at all. Basically, my take on the subject matter was apparently inappropriate and incorrect, and the reader informed me on how to approach it correctly.

So I guess what I want to know, am I wrong to be bothered by this or do I have a legitimate criticism with my evaluation? I feel like my script never had the chance to be reviewed appropriately as the reader had an extremely strong bias against the premise to begin with. At the same time, I understand how easy it would be for the reader to claim that this is all just his subjective opinion, and that it's an opinion that may very well be shared among others.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for here, maybe I'm just looking to vent. On the bright side, the four point difference does entitle me to half off on my next read. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
          What was the subject matter?

Comment

Anyone know what the turnaround time is on pilot reviews right now? Thanks!

Comment

I submitted for two at the beginning of September -- got one back a week ago, still waiting on the other.

Comment

Thanks and good luck on your second review!

Comment

Two recent (as in the last week) episodic pilot success stories:

1. Mike Young (STILL) was a Black List referral to the Sundance Labs' Inaugural Episodic Lab, and he was selected as a participant.

2. Shawn Boxe (CLEAN) was discovered by Issa Rae's Color Creative TV via the site.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
                    Two recent (as in the last week) episodic pilot success stories:

1. Mike Young (STILL) was a Black List referral to the Sundance Labs' Inaugural Episodic Lab, and he was selected as a participant.

2. Shawn Boxe (CLEAN) was discovered by Issa Rae's Color Creative TV via the site.
                    Thanks Franklin... small correction, it's called BLEACH and it is now available online -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HulPn8hlyT4

Comment

Anybody have current thoughts, feelings, experiences?

Comment

Yes. I uploaded a pilot (THE REPORTER--check it out, hire me, etc.), paid for reviews, scored 7s and 8s, used the notes to do a rewrite, and got listed in the 2015 Black List TV Writer's Staffing Book. The following week I signed with a manager at 3 Arts. And now, I'm going on generals around town. All within the space of about 6 months of first uploading the script.

I'd say it works--I got actionable notes and they publicized the script. Plus, you know, that other stuff.

Comment

Good to know.

Comment

Did you just post a pilot, or did you upload a bible as well?

Comment

No bible. Just the pilot.

Comment

Working...
                              X