Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing samples on Blacklist?

I have a screenplay that was purchased outright by an overseas production company several years ago. This screenplay won a major contest (PAGE) before it was purchased. I just learned that the production company is now out of business, so it won't be produced. I do realize that I can't sell the screenplay again (there was no clause where the rights would revert back to me under any circumstances), but I do think it's a great writing sample. So, is it worth posting on the Blacklist to get some attention? Is it even allowed to post a sold or optioned screenplay on the Blacklist site? Maybe it's not the proper forum for writing samples. Any thoughts?

Re: Writing samples on Blacklist?

How much you can circulate a script depends on the person who owns it. There's certainly a normal under-the-table distribution which happens for almost all scripts which people use to try and get jobs, but the black list seems to be on the edge of that, since it's actually advertising the script more broadly.

Normally I'd say ask the producer. Quite frankly, I think it's worth doing anyway - you should reach out to the producers and see if you can find out who controls your script, now. It might be as easy as the right person sending you an email saying, "we release all ownership claims on that script," but in any event the worst thing that happens is that they say no.

I believe the Black List has a place where you can indicate a production company attachment, and so long as you did so, I doubt they'd mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post
      I have a screenplay that was purchased outright by an overseas production company several years ago. This screenplay won a major contest (PAGE) before it was purchased. I just learned that the production company is now out of business, so it won't be produced. I do realize that I can't sell the screenplay again (there was no clause where the rights would revert back to me under any circumstances), but I do think it's a great writing sample. So, is it worth posting on the Blacklist to get some attention? Is it even allowed to post a sold or optioned screenplay on the Blacklist site? Maybe it's not the proper forum for writing samples. Any thoughts?
      I know this isn't the question you asked, but if you still have any contacts at the defunct production company, why not write to them and ask if they'll reassign the rights to you? If they're totally out of the business (with no intention of getting back in), they might figure they have nothing to lose.

The chances are probably pretty slim, but what does an email or letter cost?
      "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Thanks for the input. I have tried to contact the producer several times (to see about getting the rights back), but he doesn't respond. And the company went bankrupt.

Comment

If a production company is legally dissolved, then what happens to its assets (purchased scripts and the like)? It seems to me that your script wouldn't necessarily be tied up forever.

Comment

Working...
          X