Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low budget films - location, location, location

Premise - large number of locations is a budget killer for low-budget films.

Which is more accurate;

#1 - A successful writer of low-budget films wrote that write what you want in the first draft and it's in the rewrites where you'll scale down the number of locations to their budget.

or

#2 - A development exec said he'll pass on the script immediately if the number of locations are many. So the writer won't even get a chance at that rewrite. Do studios do this?

Thanks.

Re: Low budget films - location, location, location

Originally posted by socalwriter1 View Post
    #1 - A successful writer of low-budget films wrote that write what you want in the first draft and it's in the rewrites where you'll scale down the number of locations to their budget.

or

#2 - A development exec said he'll pass on the script immediately if the number of locations are many. So the writer won't even get a chance at that rewrite. Do studios do this?
    #1 is more accurate. If someone likes the story/movie enough to want to make it but wants to squeeze it into a smaller budget, they'll find ways to make it a less expensive production.
    With scenario #2, some development execs might pass on a script solely on the basis of location excess, but it's not often that this would be the only or primary reason for rejection. It's possible that they just have a specific type of production in mind at the outset and either your script is a match or it isn't.

However there's an inherent logic to examine in your premise, insofar as a script with many locations is less likely to be the basis of a low-budget film.
    "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Premise - large number of locations is a budget killer for low-budget films.

Which is more accurate;

or

Thanks.
      My experience is more in line with #2.

But maybe not for reasons that you think.

In my opinion, the best limited-location scripts use their limits as part of their concept. Something like the original "Purge."

If it's just a function of trimming a little off the budget, yes, writers will be asked to combine scenes, reduce locations, that kind of thing. That sort of thing happens on every project.

But when you're in low-budget land, producers are usually going to look for stuff where the aspects of the film that allow for a low budget feel organic to the concept.

This is especially true because a lot of low-budget places like Blumhouse haven't (traditionally) engaged in much development with their original projects (sequels may be another matter). They're not going to go on a fishing expedition to see if they can drastically reduce the budget of something while keeping what they love about it.

Development people at those companies are looking for scripts that don't require a ton of work to get where they need to be. When you're making movies for $2m a pop, you simply don't have the resources to spend a lot of time tinkering with scripts that may not end up going.

Comment

Hmmm, interesting thought Ronaldinho. I guess the solution is to go back and reduce the number of locations before I submit my current script to that low budget house. Sleep is over-rated anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
          ... when you're in low-budget land, producers are usually going to look for stuff where the aspects of the film that allow for a low budget feel organic to the concept.
          Very good point because low-budget production houses aren't shopping around for something that could possibly be turned into a low-budget project with a bit of work, they're looking for projects which by their nature are low-budget and there are plenty of properties in that category in circulation and looking for a buyer.
          Last edited by DavidK; 05-11-2017, 08:42 PM. Reason: sp.

Comment

Thanks guys for your insights.

So, besides limiting the number of locations, keep as many scenes in the interior during the day as possible, use very few exterior scenes and even less exterior night scenes... any other location tips that I can use to keep the budget down?

Comment

So, besides limiting the number of locations, keep as many scenes in the interior during the day as possible, use very few exterior scenes and even less exterior night scenes... any other location tips that I can use to keep the budget down?
              The answer will always be "it depends" because ... well, because it depends. There's nothing wrong with having more exterior scenes, but it depends on how well you can access and control the location. For example, if you are shooting at somebody's ranch without any restrictions and you can control the location sound, then there's nothing wrong with lots of exteriors, as opposed to an urban or downtown environment where you have limited control over everything.

Contrary to 'logic', interior scenes aren't always easier to shoot in the day because the external light is constantly changing. So, if you can see windows or doors, there can be a lot more technical work required to control lighting for continuity purposes.

It's not so much about what balance you have between interior and exterior, or day and night, but about what the actual locations are, how much control you have over them, and the recording complexities of the scenes in terms of lighting and sound.

Comment

I guess the solution is to go back and reduce the number of locations before I submit my current script to that low budget house.

What Ronaldinho was saying is that low budget producers seek out scripts with CONCEPTS that organically lead to fewer locations. Something like 10 Cloverfield Lane, or any home invasion thriller.

If you have a story that isn't contained at the conceptual level, and you try to squish it into two locations, it will probably read flat and repetitive.

I wouldn't worry about tailoring one script for multiple markets. Time is too short. If you want to sell to low budget producers, then craft a new script that speaks to their needs. Build it from the ground up with a concept that necessitates few locations.

With that said, if you set out to write a low budget script, and now you're thinking "Well, I didn't need them to have that conversation at a football game" then sure, do a draft where you tighten things up. But don't do it just because you think that a particular producer will keep a tally of your locations during his/her read.

Comment

Ronaldinho, DavidK, Bunker... you guys are good. Mucho thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X