X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does this slang word mean?

i've heard this on MTV a few times: "Aw man, you're such a tool."

what in the hell is a tool?
    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Re: What does this slang word mean?

A chump...a fool...a loser.

Comment

oh okay, cool. damn, i'm slipping.
      One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Uh ... I think it means *penis*, as in *dick*. That has always been my perception of the word.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Comic's got it: it's the same as calling someone a "schmuck" or a "putz".

Comment

Right, but with the definite distinction of being "used."

"he's such a tool" means he's a dick, and he's not even a self-directed dick.

Comment

thanx guys...and somebody in the office jus told me also its been around since the late 80's. i guess people are using again....i heard Turtle say it on Entourage the other night also.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Re: Word of the Month: "tool"

Originally posted by writerly
                now here's one, what does "kicks" mean?
                You mean, as in "get your kicks?"

I suppose kicks = jollies = thrills = adolescent(ish) satisfaction
                Just one more reason to get hammered tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles
                  i guess people are using again....i heard Turtle say it on Entourage the other night also.
                  To the best of my knowledge, 'tool' never fell out of common usage. Once Beavis and Butthead utter it, you might as well carve it on Khufu's pyramid, it's timeless.

It's funny how some slang lasts, and other passes swiftly, though. I know a guy who still calls women 'gals' (he's mid-thirties) which always strikes me as something my grandfather should say, right, hopelessly squaresville daddy-o ...

And yet I hear people of all ages use the word 'guy' and it has no real 'slang' aspect right?

"Guy" and "gal" ... I assume they're the same vintage, the co-equal gender terms ... and one's always current and one's hopelessly dated?

Why does some slang fade even among its age group, those who originated or embraced it, and some pass into the common language?

Someone tells me 'dude' is an old-timey Western phrase (though it's changed meanings) ...

"Gay" seems to be an insulting cast-off phrase even among teens with gay friends: "stop being gay" etc. How'd that happen?
                  sigpic
                  "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
                  that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
                  -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Dude now belongs to the stoners.

Cool
                    Awesome
                    Sweet

These have been around awhile and seem to be sticking.

Throw in some random Swells and Nifties just for that ol' time flavor.

Fly is out. Fresh is dead.

Now it's Banging, Hot, Sick....

So, just Chillax.

"I'm down, I've got the 411, and you are not going out and getting jiggy with some boy, I don't care how dope his ride is. My mama didn't raise no foo'!"

"We're all immigrants now, man."
                    - Zia (Patrick Fugit), "Wristcutters: A Love Story"

Comment

Dude belongs to us all.

As a rule, if a slang word finds its way to scripted drama, it's dead to the "cool kids."
                      They cursed us forever, making us prefer dreams to lives.

Comment

Urban dictionary http://www.urbandictionary.com/ is sometimes useful for slang. If you use Firefox, you can just type "slang query" into the location dialogue box.

Comment

In the Dictionary of Contemporary Slang, it lists "tool" as a "fool...like many other words designating the male member, tool has the secondary meaning of a stupid (male) person."

Comment

You are right, Scriptwriter.

What always happens is that a word starts out with a specific meaning, and then a lot of people use it indiscriminately and it winds up collecting some secondary meanings.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Yeah, but (absent a slang dictionary, so I'm winging it) couldn't "tool" originate as something like ... a mindless instrument (used by another) ... and hence a fool ... then THAT was extrapolated to mean a male sex organ?

There're even expressions such as: "he's not the sharpest tool in the shed" etc.
                              sigpic
                              "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
                              that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
                              -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Working...
                              X