Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Have You Read & Enjoyed Recently?

What's it about, and who wrote it?
    It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Vampires and humans trying to survive after a zombie apocalypse pretty much screws the human population about as much as it can be screwed.

Larry Brenner.

Comment

The Grackle ... I wonder what that's about?
        Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Arghhh! I can't bite my tongue any longer and feel compelled to say Bethlehem is... Okay I don't want to be mean but it felt like it was written by someone pretty new to writing. It felt like it sold basically because of its concept.

Now I feel bad but couldn't help it after reading the "masterful screenwriting" comment!

Comment

Originally posted by Recreant View Post
            Arghhh! I can't bite my tongue any longer and feel compelled to say Bethlehem is... Okay I don't want to be mean but it felt like it was written by someone pretty new to writing. It felt like it sold basically because of its concept.

Now I feel bad but couldn't help it after reading the "masterful screenwriting" comment!
            It is a great story, and yes I kind of thought the same. I found many spelling mistakes in it. But it was pretty awesome. VERY awesome.

Comment

All I know is that when I was done reading it, I said to myself, "Now THAT is a movie I want to see."

I said the same thing about HIDDEN and MAGGIE, two other stellar (in my opinion) 2011 Black List scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
                All I know is that when I was done reading it, I said to myself, "Now THAT is a movie I want to see."

I said the same thing about HIDDEN and MAGGIE, two other stellar (in my opinion) 2011 Black List scripts.
                Hidden I'll agree on. I found Maggie to be a little boring.

Hidden, Grim Night, and Dead of Winter are my favorite horror scripts from the latest black list... although DOW is more of a thriller I guess.

Comment

I loved the first seventy or so pages of GRIM NIGHT but didn't care for where the writers eventually took it.

(SPOILERS:

I thought the writers did a great job setting up the dread-inducing notion that the Grims' visits were random... and then betrayed that notion by making the daughter a special/specific target.)

Comment

It's been around for a while but damn did I like PRISONERS. Awesome stuff. Anybody read THE TOMB? I hear it's a cool script.

Comment

Grackle is awesome

Looper is awesome.

Comment

I loved the first seventy or so pages of GRIM NIGHT but didn't care for where the writers eventually took it.

(SPOILERS:

I thought the writers did a great job setting up the dread-inducing notion that the Grims' visits were random... and then betrayed that notion by making the daughter a special/specific target.)
                        I didn't mind the daughter thing too much but then they totally messed up the ending. Once they fix that ending I think it'll be pretty awesome.

I heard Looper was bad but maybe I'll give that a shot. I'm still waiting to be impressed by Rian Johnson.

Probably not worth mentioning but Martin Helgeland's Slayer script has an awesome first 3 pages then it becomes kinda standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Recreant View Post
                          I heard Looper was bad but maybe I'll give that a shot. I'm still waiting to be impressed by Rian Johnson.
                          Yeah, I keep hearing so many great things about LOOPER, I've put it in my Next Read stack.

A few SCRIPTS I'VE READ RECENTLY and really, really enjoyed:
                          Cosmopolis (David Cronenberg)
                          Hidden
                          Noah
                          The Wheelman
                          Viral

MEH...Meh...meh... yawn...

Dead In the Water
                          Gangster Squad
                          Interrogation
                          White House Down

15 TO READ NEXT:
                          And Handled With a Chain (Nicholl 2010)
                          Angriest Man in Brooklyn (2011]
                          Bermuda (Nathan Brookes & Bobby Lee Darby)
                          Blockhead (Emily Fox)
                          Extraction (Robert Archer Lynn)
                          Five Against A Bullet (Alex Litvak)
                          Headshot AKA Bullet To the Head (Alessandro Camon)
                          Hell Bent... and Back (Rick Jaffa & Doug Richardson)

Jane Got A Gun (Black List 2011).
                          Looper (Black List 2010)
                          Run (Mike McCrary)
                          The Bloody Benders (Adam Robitel)
                          The Driver
                          Yakuza (Oliver Butcher & Stephen Cornwell)
                          ComphNumb

"I've been to Sugartown, and I shook that sugar down..."

Comment

WHEW! I've taken some time off from writing and thought I should start catching up on reading some screenplays. And I'm happy to say that there are SEVERAL scripts I read and absolutely LOVED. Out of the scripts I read so far, here are my top 25.

I can't recommend these ones enough.

A Scary Little Christmas (AKA Dear Satan) by Dan Ewen - A very warmhearted children's tale packed with nice comedic moments suited for both children and adults, could be the next "Nightmare Before Christmas" if done right.

Attack the Block by Joe Cornish - WOW! Very nice little creature feature with colorful characters and rousing action, haven't seen the film yet, but I plan on it!

The Avengers by Joss Whedon - Whedon tugs every superhero note in my heart with wonderful dialogue, extravagant action, and masterful storytelling. I loved every second I spent reading this script.

Bethlehem by Larry Brenner - A surprisingly well written Vampire movie and even better Zombie flick, I wonder why something like this hasn't been thought up before?

Django Unchained by Quentin Tarantino - Possibly the best blaxploitation/western film we're bound to get in our lifetime, Tarantino definitely delivers the goods with this one!

Elysium by Neil Blomkamp - HANDS DOWN the best original sci-fi script I've read, EVER. Blomkamp you magnificent bastard, you've really outdone yourself on this one.

The Ends of the Earth by Chris Terrio - A surprisingly strong character study and one of the best romantic films I've read. Almost brought me to tears.

Gangster Squad by Will Beall - One of the greatest L.A. crime-noir's I've come across that I actually LOVED with great dialogue and even better action, I look forward to seeing this when it hits theaters.

The Grey by Joe Carnahan and Ian Mackenzie Jeffers - A strong tale of survival packed with an interesting lead character, and plenty of great suspense. Really dug this thriller.

Hidden by Matt Duffer & Ross Duffer - Finally, a good horror movie where I was actually scared. Loved that twist ending.

High School by Erik Linthorst, John Stalberg Jr., Stephen Susco - A nice little stoner comedy that had more than it's fair share of LOL moments.

Horns by Keith Bunin - A very well written, tragic, superhero tale with a nice horror twist; it's on par with "The Crow" for me.

I, Alex Cross by Kerry Williamson, Marc Moss - A nifty little crime-thriller with one of the BEST villains I've read about in years. Definitely worth a read.

Lore by Jeremy Lott & Cory Goodman - A neat sci-fi/fantasy movie shrouded in arousing mythology and loaded with wonderful characters, could very well be the next Men in Black franchise.

Martyrs by Mark L. Smith - A well-crafted remake of Pascal Laugier's film packed with efficient scares and effective violence, but be warned, it's not for the faint of heart.

Motor City by Chad St. John - An insanely well-written action movie with, get this, hardly any dialogue! This silent action-thriller grabs you from the opening image and doesn't let go until its wickedly explosive final, definitely worth the read.

Noah by Darren Aronofsky and Ari Handel - A beautifully written and exceedingly ambitious take on the story of Noah and the Ark. Aronofsky's tale is dark, poetic, and astonishing. Expect this one to garner some awards.

Norm The Movie by Sam Esmail - Aside from "Stranger than Fiction" this script has the most unique premise I've ever read for a dramedy and it delivers in both laughs and tears. This author's one to look out for!

Olympus Has Fallen by The Rothenbergers - Nice White House invasion movie in the vain of "Air Force One", I choose this one over "White House Down" because I found Olympus to be slightly more realistic in terms of action, that and it's not a straight beat-for-beat "Die Hard" carbon copy unlike WHD.

Paradise Lost by Stuart Hazeldine, Lawrence Kasdan, and Ryan J. Condaln - A more action-orientated tale of the Bible's oldest and longest story dealing with the battle between Heaven and Hell, Paradise is EPIC in scope and visuals, but may discourage those who are looking for the next "Passion of the Christ".

Sequels, Remakes, & Adaptations by Sam Esmail - One of the best and clever heartwarming comedies ever written! Was literally blown away by this authors writing.

The Catch by Jamie Nash & Bradley Paul - A very suspenseful and well-written Found-Footage creature feature that took me by surprise with its intriguing monster, nail-biting scares, and riveting action sequences.

The Faces by Eric Reese - A really good horror film with well-fleshed out characters, frightening images, and an exciting third-act. Would recommend this one to any hardcore horror fan.

Unt. Aja Project by Franck Khalfoun - A nicely contained thriller with an excellent protagonist and intriguing plot, I feel this one's more for those who enjoyed such thrillers as "Premium Rush" or "Eagle Eye".

XOXO by Mark Heyman - Fatal Attraction for the Facebook generation indeed, this well-paced erotic thriller doesn't hold back on suspense and thrills, it's a guilty pleasure of a script that I found myself thoroughly enjoying from beginning to end.

Now I still have a lot more scripts to read, but these are just my top 25. Well, for now anyway.
                            "Please Don't Spear me!"

Comment

Headshot AKA Bullet To the Head (Alessandro Camon)
                              I covered three different drafts of HEADSHOT, including one that was written when Silvester Stallone came on board to play Jimmy. It was interesting to see the changes made to reflect Sly's involvement. And I mean MAJOR changes to the story and characters.

The development process is powerful. Extremely powerful.

Comment

I covered three different drafts of HEADSHOT, including one that was written when Silvester Stallone came on board to play Jimmy. It was interesting to see the changes made to reflect Sly's involvement. And I mean MAJOR changes to the story and characters.

The development process is powerful. Extremely powerful.
                                Changes for the better, or...?
                                @MacBullitt

Comment

Working...
                                X