Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Shot

Some tonally-uneven spots (unnecessary scatological humor) aside, I was surprised how much chemistry Charlize and Rogen had.

The highlight for me was when Rogen's character said: (highlight to reveal) I'm worthy of love. At that point, I was in, and I wanted them to be together.

Anyone see it?

Also, unfortunately the diet Coke I had kicked in and I missed the ending. I can't find spoilers online. Would anyone care to tell me if they ended up together, and if so, (highlight to reveal) did she have to give up her career?

Re: Long Shot

She almost gets assassinated by a... long shot.... but Seth Rogen takes the bullet for her, but they can't be together in the end due to her job so just like in The Bodyguard they go their separate ways...

Comment

That is not what happened. Despite what a dork he is, she accepts him as he is, and they live happily ever after. I really enjoyed the movie. I've been going through some bad times, and that movie cheered me up and made me laugh.

Comment

I must have seen a different cut, because I was being 100% serious.

Comment

Interesting! I guess they decided to make it lighter, which I'm glad they did.

Comment

i haven't seen it yet, but i think i might actually have to since i'm writing a rom-com.

i have always hated the fact that rom-coms, have to some degree, put funny guys with knock-down gorgeous women that you just cannot believe in a million years they would get together.

like, Cameron Diaz and Ben Stiller. i mean, what was wrong with Brett Farve, he was a nice guy in the movie.

anyway, sideways there for a mo, this looks a little more believable... i'm not sure yet.

and, Joaneasley, i really hope things turn around for you.
            FA4
            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
              i haven't seen it yet, but i think i might actually have to since i'm writing a rom-com.

i have always hated the fact that rom-coms, have to some degree, put funny guys with knock-down gorgeous women that you just cannot believe in a million years they would get together.

like, Cameron Diaz and Ben Stiller. i mean, what was wrong with Brett Farve, he was a nice guy in the movie.

anyway, sideways there for a mo, this looks a little more believable... i'm not sure yet.

FA4
              Well Cameron - Mary tells us -- She's a 49ers fan!

Comment

Thank you, FinalAct.

Joan

FA4

Comment

I think Charlize Theron elevated the material to make it feel like there was chemistry. When you throw in an Oscar caliber actress who can make those around them better. The actress that played her Chief of Staff was also very good.

If you left before the ending, you missed the best line.

(spoilers)
                  Seth Rogen, once Charlize Theron is President in the couple confessional said "You won't believe who killed Kennedy. It's not who you think!
                  Charlize Theron: Don't you dare!

Otherwise, it was solid, but I've seen better romantic comedies this year.

Comment

FA4

I was thinking the same thing. No way, Charlize goes for a guy like Seth in real life. She's dating pretty boys like Sean Penn and Stuart Townsend. Seth dressed like a slob and didn't even bother to properly groom. Ok, I can go for it if the guy is the kindest sweetest man in the world who rescues kittens and orphans...and saves people. But, Seth's character isn't even that nice in the movie. I will say that I can at least buy Ben Stiller because he has that dorky cute thing going. In real life, he's been with the most beautiful women, even when he wasn't that famous.

If you're writing a rom com, you might want to check out some of the foreign films that they show at your local Laemele like I love U hater. I feel like recently the overseas imported rom coms are better because they aren't afraid to be genuine and over the top with the love stuff. You don't see the great relationship movies like Pretty Woman, When Harry Met Sally, Wedding Crashers anymore. Every rom com these days are too self conscious and cool for school to really go deep. I am entertained, but it doesn't make me think about it after I leave the theater like some of those great rom coms of the past. Or check out the older stuff like Audrey Hepburn's "Love in the Afternoon."

Comment

Don't you people live in LA or NYC? Or anywhere. All I see is beautiful women with ugly guys. In fact, Julia Roberts only married ugly guys for like a 10 year period there.

Seth in real life is a good looking mensch and successful. His wife is very attractive too right?

Charlize keeps saying all the time how she cant' find a man and it's because she's so pretty I bet, good men don't approach her. Just the jerks like Sean Penn who if you tell me is better looking than Seth in 2019? I don't know... I disagree.

This is fun!

Comment

Sean Penn is living off the perception of being a hot guy bad boy back in the day, lol. I've never seen Charlize with a non-hot guy (past or present). But, Jennifeer Lawrence is more all over the map. You wouldn't believe how well Kevin James does. Even before he was famous. The guy is like a beautiful woman magnet. Julia Roberts only dated Kyle Lovett (which lasted a short minute), but she returned immediately to dating good looking guys and her husband is a good looking guy from a rich family.

I have seen some mismatched couples at these fancy restaurants. I assume the guys are super rich.

Comment

Plus, I don't believe it when hot actresses say that no guys approach them. I think they just say that to be relatable. I see aspiring actresses get hit on left and right as they are just trying to go about their day.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                            She almost gets assassinated by a... long shot.... but Seth Rogen takes the bullet for her, but they can't be together in the end due to her job so just like in The Bodyguard they go their separate ways...
                            Originally posted by Joaneasley View Post
                            That is not what happened. Despite what a dork he is, she accepts him as he is, and they live happily ever after.
                            I always thought you had to know your ending before you start writing, because you're writing towards it. I guess not in this case. Pick your own ending!!

Comment

No doubt the writer had a particular vision, But the studios do test screenings and focus groups. If the people in the focus groups give thumbs down, the studio will often make the changes that keep the audience happy.

Comment

Working...
                              X