What has been your favorite Summer movies so far?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What has been your favorite Summer movies so far?

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
    OUATIH
    Kill bill 1
    Pulp fiction
    Re dogs
    Django
    Deathproof
    Kill bill2
    Jackie Brown
    Hateful
    Inglorious Bastards

Oddly enough my "hate" for inglorious is the same reason that OUATIH made it to the top, the alternative history aspect. I hated the radical change of history so far "our timeline" but loved the aspect of the Manson family simply going to the house next door and finding something they were utterly unprepared for.
    Really wanted to love Hateful and should probably have seen it in the theatre, after several tries at home I haven't made it to the end. Loved kill Bill 1, felt ripped off by 2. Jackie brown left no impression on me what so ever

Surprised you have Inglorious as your least favorite. I thought that opening scene was really strong and I liked that Annabelle Wallis character. I really liked the alternate history thing. Manson was actually angry at the former owner of the house where Sharon Tate stayed. Not even sure why he went ahead and ordered everyone killed when they weren't who he was angry with. I've watched a lot of Hong Kong action movies, so I wasn't that impressed with the Kill Bill movies. I've sen it done way better. I liked Pulp Fiction the best because it kind of reminds me of the seemy underbelly of Hollywood...all these struggling desperate characters. The Bruce Willis segment was the best one.

Comment

47 Meters Down and Angry Birds 2 had some disappointing results this weekend. Some of these sequels to hit movies haven't done so well.

Comment

saw this on twitter, so it must be true:

Top 10 grossers of 2019 so far:
        1. Comic book adaptation
        2. Remake of animated movie
        3. Comic book adaptation
        4. Animated movie, part 4
        5. Comic book adaptation
        6. Remake of animated movie
        7. Us
        8. Action movie, part 3
        9. Animated movie, part 3
        10. Animated movie, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
          saw this on twitter, so it must be true:

Top 10 grossers of 2019 so far:
          1. Comic book adaptation
          2. Remake of animated movie
          3. Comic book adaptation
          4. Animated movie, part 4
          5. Comic book adaptation
          6. Remake of animated movie
          7. Us
          8. Action movie, part 3
          9. Animated movie, part 3
          10. Animated movie, part 2

That's not very good for writers that aren't in the inner circle. Barely any originals and the writer of Us is already a hot writer. I wish I was around for the spec boom 90s when napkins were selling for 4 million dollars.

Comment

Just saw "The Kitchen." Yikes.

It's a shame that 47 Meters Down didn't do better. I like it way better than the original and if we're being honest I even liked it more than that Blake Lively shark movie (which I liked). That location is beautiful and made me wonder if those underwater caves with the statues are a real location. It's somehow way more terrifying than the original. And that heroine was pretty badass (minor spoiler) especially in that final scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
              What has been some of your favorite summer movies? Which ones surprised you or you felt were under rated?

Which movies are you looking forward to in the next few months? You can include streaming movies too.
              Midsommar

The Nightingale.

Looking forward to The Lighthouse.

Comment

Originally posted by nmstevens View Post
                Midsommar

The Nightingale.

Looking forward to The Lighthouse.

Hmm. Haven't seen those yet. I guess I should keep them in mind.

Comment

All my favorites were the "indies"...

Blinded By the Light
                  Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
                  Yesterday

Comment

It's interesting what audiences went in droves to and which ones they rejected. Like the one you listed "Blinded by the light." Not a lot of people showed up for that one, even though that Bohemian Rhapsody was a monster hit. Angel has fallen did really well, but Ready or Not disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                      That's not very good for writers that aren't in the inner circle. Barely any originals and the writer of Us is already a hot writer. I wish I was around for the spec boom 90s when napkins were selling for 4 million dollars.
                      I consider "US" a sequel to "GET OUT" and so did America... not 1 out of the blue original.

Comment

I consider "US" a sequel to "GET OUT" and so did America... not 1 out of the blue original.

Yeah, the climate not favoring originals is not so good for us common folk. A lot of us aren't in the Marvel comics writing team or the tentpole rewrite appointed writers.

Comment

I was catching up on all the leftovers of the Summer movies today and I saw a trailer for the Joker. Holy Cow. You would think the Joker is hard role to play, but they seem to always be able to find someone to really knock it out of the park. Jack, Heath.... Obviously, I haven't seen this new movie yet, but Joaquin looks great....exactly what I'd want to see in a Joker movie.

Comment

Not defending the original vs. franchise output of Hollywood but disagree on US. No more a sequel than NORTH BY NORTHWEST is a sequel to THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH.

1939, considered one of the greatest years in movie history. Could only find top 5 but:

1 - Adaptation
                            2 - Adaptation
                            3 - Adaptation
                            4 - Original
                            5 - Adaptation

So, while everything has changed since then, how much is it really different?

Comment

Working...
                            X