No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Is 'theme' really everything?

Originally posted by jonpiper View Post
    ... The two images taken together are metaphors that define a character who has arced. At the beginning he is lost and confused. At the end he has purpose and a clear goal. ...
    No fair. You saw the movie, didn't you?

Originally posted by jonpiper View Post
    ... These metaphors may or may not express the theme. It depends upon what the theme of the story is.
    But wouldn't these metaphors be a big waste if they didn't express theme? The better the movie, the better the link between theme and arc.
    "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
    - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

Originally posted by TwoBrad Bradley View Post
      No fair. You saw the movie, didn't you?

But wouldn't these metaphors be a big waste if they didn't express theme? The better the movie, the better the link between theme and arc.
      I didn't see the movie, but those metaphors are obvious when taken together. By itself, the opening one could just be the protag looking for an address. The second metaphor gives away the writer's probable intent.

The question is do these metaphors express the theme of this particular screenplay? The protag may arc like this in many stories, each with different themes, no?

This kind of character arc is not a waste. It adds a layer to the story and to the protag, but does it necessairly express theme? I don't know the answer. Just answering your question with a question.

Comment

To quote Liz Lemon "for a movie called Somewhere it didn't go anywhere"

Somewhere has a character arc it's just subtle. It was a movie I found myself thinking about long after it was over. Anyhow, carry on.

Comment

Theme isn't everything and yet it is. Clearly, there are other elements to worry about. But there's little doubt that theme is embedded in the most important scenes of every good script.
          "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
          - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
            Theme isn't everything and yet it is. Clearly, there are other elements to worry about. But there's little doubt that theme is embedded in the most important scenes of every good script.
            The most clear and lucid definition and manifestation of theme comes from the characters resolution of his one dilemma, the choice he has to make. And it's binary: the old flawed way or the new way....or between two things he is "torn". So the character introduction should always hint at these two things and sometimes the character introduction is the opening image. The character arc is linked integrally to the theme. He or she changes and makes a new choice based on those values and then the resolution/aftermath is where you get to play god. The conclusion of the statement of them comes from the resolution.

You kill someone out of vengeance and you are a hero (maybe Death Wish)
            or
            You kill someone and you lose your soul (Maybe Blade Runner or Unforgiven) - Very different theme--killing is not right or justifiable or...violence doesn't solve anything (specific theme depends on details)

That's why usually you can't write a perfect opening image until you nail your ending and character (and arc and resolution. Or if the opening image is a visual metaphor for the story then the intro to the character is where you would capture the two sides of the character and arc which should necessarily be related to the theme.

Off top of my head....Color of Money...after VO...you have whiskey and money and he is seducing her with whiskey. Whiskey might be a vice but more importantly, now it represents his job, selling whiskey...he has to earn an honest living and maybe even have time to follow through with the seduction of the woman. BUT BUT BUT eventually there will be loud SOUNDS behind him of a good player hitting the pool balls...and finally it will call to him...this new life or the old life. And then isn't the last image or idea of the film: I'm back.

It's all there. And it should be. If you have an intro to a character that is not capturing this, then it's not the right intro. Start later when the character is revealed.

Just taking a quick break. Cool thread.

Comment

Working...
            X