Will you consider rating my blcklst hosted script?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Will you consider rating my blcklst hosted script?

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
    posts that are not offensive but [that] make no sense without the offensive crap that they refer to.
    The story of my life.

Comment

My appologies for derailing this thread.

But my initial post regarding his logline was meant to draw his attention to a typo I noticed. A misplaced "the" if I remember correctly.

NYNEX then edited that typo out of his logline just before posting that there was nothing wrong with his logline. And that's when things got derailed.

Comment

Title: Conquista

Logline: In modern-day Miami, JUAN Ponce de León seeks redemption for the atrocities he committed against Native Americans, while keeping the Fountain of Youth from humanity. Things are complicated when the man Juan betrayed for eternal youth returns for revenge.

https://www.blcklst.com/members/script/7537

Thanks all!

Comment

Re: Conquista-- sounds cool-- I wanna see it!

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
            Re: Conquista-- sounds cool-- I wanna see it!
            Thanks! Feel free to take a gander. IRONICALLY, I had it up before on the BL. Got HORRIBLE reviews for the most part and a crummy log line apparently. Took it down- totally rewrote it, have a good log line, and so far 11 impressions with no downloads. The previous script had like 8 downloads in the first week.

Very weird.

Comment

Few things:

1) Woohoo, posted a script "Bonito & Valenzuela", and got a 8/7/9/8=8. Anyone with an active membership is totally welcome to read it and PM me a review, and industry pros feel welcome to rate.

2) I've talked to Franklin extensively about how the site works, and ideas for the future. He and his team are working very hard to incentivize free industry ratings to help supplement the paid ratings, while keeping them fair. It's a delicate, complex task. Fair ratings can vary quite a bit regardless of source, but the variance becomes less statistically significant as more free ratings are added from industry pros. I wouldn't lose hope based on a single poor review, but I would try to address the criticisms, and possibly reupload once fixed. Franklin has laid out tips for that in separate threads.

3) I'll try to check out a few scripts from this thread as well, though I unfortunately am a writer and not an industry pro, so I can't rate ya... only PM you with feedback if desired. Seems like most of the scripts here are a few months old and no longer hosted, so if you have something to read, holler at me on here...
              Last edited by OCeeBee; 05-07-2013, 12:41 PM.

Comment

THE HOTLINE

Dark Comedy

Logline: A young humanitarian bent on saving the world loses sight of his goal when he gets caught up in the big business of a for-profit suicide hotline.

https://blcklst.com/members/script/7925

Waiting on the second paid review. First paid reviewer had some really nice things to say about it. Got a 7 overall - was dinged a little for the way it wrapped up, so we revised it and uploaded a new version.

Love these boards, been lurking around a while.
                http://twitter.com/gregbrainos
                http://www.facebook.com/greg.brainos

Comment

I'm new to the forum and enjoying the posts.

I have two separate scripts with 8 ratings on the Black List site. Thanks in advance to everyone who wants to give them a read:

FIDDLE WITH DANGER

Action Comedy

Logline: A smitten and big-hearted Wall Street trader finds a discarded violin and unwittingly involves a privileged harpist and an innocent homeless pal in a high stakes game of keep away from determined thugs who want the instrument for themselves.

Review: "A solid action flick ... The characters are memorable and the plot flows nicely ... The script could attract the attention of a strong action producer who wishes to tackle a high-budget thriller."

https://blcklst.com/members/script/8116

SPRING TRAINING

Dramatic Comedy

Logline: A carefree major league baseball broadcaster looks up a past girlfriend and discovers he's the father of a precocious ten-year-old girl.

Review: "This is a very well written and well-paced script. Skip is a fantastic and charming lead character that could easily garner interest from actors ... A heartfelt story with realistic emotional moments, this script is fairly close to being ready for production."

https://blcklst.com/members/script/5967

Any advice on how best to attract attention from agents and managers will be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by dpetroskey View Post
                    I'm new to the forum and enjoying the posts.

I have two separate scripts with 8 ratings on the Black List site...Any advice on how best to attract attention from agents and managers will be appreciated.
                    No advice, but congrats! You should be highlighted in that weekly email that goes out to the pros. That you've got two highly rated scripts certainly should help you get noticed.

Actually, I guess I do have some advice: others have used the "success" on the Blacklist site to query managers. They've touted the scores of the scripts, and a few have gotten reads. You may want to think about doing the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Weems View Post
                      No advice, but congrats! You should be highlighted in that weekly email that goes out to the pros. That you've got two highly rated scripts certainly should help you get noticed.

Actually, I guess I do have some advice: others have used the "success" on the Blacklist site to query managers. They've touted the scores of the scripts, and a few have gotten reads. You may want to think about doing the same.
                      Yeah, definitely mention your BL scores in query letters. But don't restrict yourself to managers. Target agencies as well. I got a ton of script requests doing this. And oddly enough, I got far more requests and responses from agencies.

Comment

Hey everyone; hope all is well! I recently got a review for my new script. It got a 7/10 overall; not an 8, but I figure it's just one point away

Title: The Savior

Genre: Crime Drama/Crime Thriller

Logline: A washed up jazz musician must protect a troubled young woman and her son through the course of a night from her gang leader ex-boyfriend, all while he battles an even more powerful foe – his profound desire to kill himself.

Strengths (from BL review):
                        Ellis' journey to find meaning in his life is incredibly touching. While a premise like this easily could have fallen into melodrama and false emotions, by centering his growth on protecting this young woman, it all feels genuine. The dynamic between the two leads is fantastic. Alicia is constantly getting Ellis in trouble and the conflict that is generated is always organic, never manufactured. Everything is rooted in character.

Link: https://blcklst.com/members/script/8533

The script has received several downloads since being included in the Friday e-mails; here's hoping this'll pique some more interest

Have a great weekend!
                        Last edited by UpandComing; 06-05-2013, 11:51 PM.
                        "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

I just posted another script, AFPAK. The review hasn't come in yet but here's the logline:

An emotionally scarred CIA officer joins forces with a hardened Afghan warlord to hunt down a terrorist leader responsible for the death of the Warlord's son, in this modern interpretation of Leo Tolstoy's Hadji Murad.

https://blcklst.com/members/script/8925

Thanks for looking...

Comment

I have a couple of scripts on The Black List if anyone likes fantasy and wants to check them out.

DESTINY OF THE SWORD
                            https://blcklst.com/members/scripts/view/8575

Era: Ancient Times
                            Locations: Village, City, Castle, Forest
                            Budget: Blockbuster
                            Genre: Romantic Fantasy
                            Pages: 130

Logline: After witnessing the death of his family, a forgotten prince emerges from years of hiding in order to save his family’s kingdom and the woman he loves from an evil army led by his long-lost father.

IN DREAMS WE LIVE
                            https://blcklst.com/members/scripts/view/8960

Era: Present
                            Locations: Real World (Multiple Locations), Dream World
                            Budget: High
                            Genre: Action & Adventure, Fantasy, Supernatural Thriller
                            Pages: 112

Logline: Struggling with the death of his father, a man begins to see him in his dreams. However, he soon discovers that demons are attempting to use him as a portal to the real world.

Thanks.
                            Jeremy
                            Last edited by Jeremynt; 06-25-2013, 09:01 AM.

Comment

I'm in a little bit of a quandary. I sent my newest spec to Andrew Hilton and he came back with a glowing review and a double 'consider'. He said the script needed basically nothing. Buoyed by his comments, I posted it to BL yesterday, paid for a review, and within three hours it came in - at a 6.

I'm kind of light on cash at the moment and I can't really afford another 50 or 100 bucks for more reviews. Plus I'm concerned now that subsequent reviews may not be any better, or even worse. I understand the subjectivity of the reader but based on the review compared to Andrew's, I think the reader may have skimmed it. Especially since the review came back so quick.

From what I've been able to glean any score under an 8 makes the thing pretty much dead in the water.

Based on this information: Should I pony up another 50 bucks for a second review or just take it down now? The reviewer had problems with things Andrew liked the most and I trust him a great deal more.
                              We gain our innocence by taking yours.

Comment

Originally posted by AE35-Unit View Post
                                I'm in a little bit of a quandary. I sent my newest spec to Andrew Hilton and he came back with a glowing review and a double 'consider'. He said the script needed basically nothing. Buoyed by his comments, I posted it to BL yesterday, paid for a review, and within three hours it came in - at a 6....Should I pony up another 50 bucks for a second review or just take it down now? The reviewer had problems with things Andrew liked the most and I trust him a great deal more.
                                Can't tell you what to do about buying another review, but you should definitely not take it down if you've paid to host it for the month. You can always hide the Blacklist review and the score, and if it's tagged an industry pro might find it when searching. If I were you I'd post a link to it here, and that might generate some reads.

However, it sounds like you'd have better luck querying and mentioning the consider you received.

Comment

Working...
                                X