Will you consider rating my blcklst hosted script?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Will you consider rating my blcklst hosted script?

Happy New Year all! Wishing you whatever your version of success is in 2013...

Not sure how many people are still reading this thread (hopefully at least some producers/managers/agents ), but thought I would throw my hat into the ring.

My script is as follows:

Title: The Patron

Genre: Psychological Thriller

Logline: A poor young artist accepts the patronage of a beautiful, older socialite, but must find a way to break free of their arrangement when her demands become progressively alarming.

Strengths (from BL review):
    This is a well-written screenplay wrought with sex and drama. The plot moves at a good pace and the tension increases consistently with every scene. Additionally, the story has a developed cast. Mike’s needs and personality are displayed quickly in the first act. His relationship with Lisa is especially charming and its development feels realistic. Also, Victoria is a fun and seductive character and could garner interest from actresses looking to transition from younger roles.

Link: https://blcklst.com/members/script/5469

The script has received several downloads since being included in the Monday/Friday e-mails; here's hoping this'll pique some more interest

Have a great weekend everyone...
    Last edited by UpandComing; 01-12-2013, 05:04 PM.
    "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

@ upandcoming -- great review! Good luck in finding it a home!

Comment

Thanks, coffeywriter! All the best to you this year!
        "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

I'm coming to the end of the road with my Western, VENGEANCE IS NOT THE LORDS. The highest rating I've managed to get is a 7 overall, so I'll be pulling it when the current month expires. I'll take the lessons I've learned and move on. It did score 132 (83%) on the Fresh Voices - they say scripts scoring 140 or above will be considered for industry promotion, so it's probably a near miss there too.

Here's the review I referenced:

Anonymous reviewer (Completed)
          Rate the reader: Show to public:

PREMISE
          7/10

PLOT
          5/10

CHARACTERS
          6/10

DIALOGUE
          7/10

OVERALL
          7/10

Era: 1800s

Locations: Dirt Road, Box Canyon, Cherry Creek, Pleasant Valley, Daggs Brothers Mansion, Hash Knife Headquarte

Budget: High

Genre: Western

Pages: 93

Logline:
          At the close of the 19th century, a bloody feud erupts in Arizona between two families fighting for control of grazing rights.

Strengths:
          This script has a very impressive tone and voice. The spare, controlled, minimalist sensibility of the writing authentically captures the period and landscape of the hardscrabble west. It also lends itself well to the kind of people who inhabited that landscape; men of few words who were trying to carve out a place for themselves in the world by whatever means necessary. The opening scene in particular is a great example of the kind of powerful, sparse scene description that is found throughout the script that gives it an engaging, unique, almost poetic tone. The script feels well researched, and though at times the details can become cumbersome, overall, there is a strong realism that grounds the story. There are nice quiet moments in the script that give us time to appreciate the landscape and the isolation of the characters in their environment. The strength of the writing and tone make this script a surprisingly fresh take on the western genre.

Weaknesses:
          The story structure in this script needs work. There are too many jumps forward in time which lets a lot of the tension out of the narrative. Though this may be based on actual events, the narrative needs to be shaped and condensed for it to work as story. For example, it feels odd for Ed to be in Wyoming for a chunk of the script and then reappear, especially since he is ultimately the protagonist of the story. Pace is also an issue in places. For example, when Ed changes horses four times in each direction on his way to kill Tom and back, it's not clear why we need to see each change. What is it adding to the story? Also, it's not clear in this sequence why Ed needed to change his clothes each time he changes his horse. There are a lot of ancillary characters and it can be hard to keep track of them all. Either they need to be fleshed out more and given more specific characteristics, or they need to be combined with other characters. Links to websites and other author notes in the scene description are distracting and not necessary at this stage of a project.

Prospects
          This script has an unique voice and impressive overall tone. The story needs to be more structured and the pace needs work, but on the strength of the voice alone, this script has the potential be successful with the right development.

https://blcklst.com/members/script/4237

Comment

It sounds like a strong story. And there's a ton of interest in these types of scripts lately, especially with the success of Hatfields and McCoys. If your average is near 7.0, I'd keep it up an extra month.

judging by the amount of praise, it looks like the reviewer really dug it, despite his issues. Maybe if others saw his response, it'd pique their interest.
            I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by madworld View Post
              I wonder, since it's a paid read (and forgive me if this has been asked) but do the readers read the entire script?

Will they, for example, stop on page 10 or 47 or 70 if they think the script is subpar, or do they continue to the end for their review?
              I doubt my reader read my entire script - maybe scimmed parts of it.
              www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
              http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                It sounds like a strong story. And there's a ton of interest in these types of scripts lately, especially with the success of Hatfields and McCoys. If your average is near 7.0, I'd keep it up an extra month.

judging by the amount of praise, it looks like the reviewer really dug it, despite his issues. Maybe if others saw his response, it'd pique their interest.
                My average is only 6.0. My first rating was a 6, then I got a 5. After reading the critiques, I went through the script and trimmed the description and dialogue, and rewrote some scenes to clarify a few things. The rewrite drew a 7, but the next rating came back a 6.

I don't see a point in another month. The current month expires on Feb 2, so it will be up through January.

Moving from my experience to a general point, if you do rewrite a script it's best to delete it from the site, then upload under a different title, perhaps something like MY SCRIPT REVISED so the previous ratings don't pull it down.

Comment

Originally posted by kenklmn View Post

Moving from my experience to a general point, if you do rewrite a script it's best to delete it from the site, then upload under a different title, perhaps something like MY SCRIPT REVISED so the previous ratings don't pull it down.
                  I assume that any previous ratings vanish when the script's taken down. They're attached to the project, not the bare title.
                  "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                    I assume that any previous ratings vanish when the script's taken down. They're attached to the project, not the bare title.
                    Your projects scored high, so don't take them down. If you stop getting downloads you can always pause the hosting to stop the billing, then start them again (whether or not you rewrite) at a later time.

Comment

Originally posted by kenklmn View Post
                      Your projects scored high, so don't take them down. If you stop getting downloads you can always pause the hosting to stop the billing, then start them again (whether or not you rewrite) at a later time.
                      I didn't know that was an option. Franklin - can you confirm?
                      "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

I have a billing matter related to this: I suspended hosting on my script with 6 days left. I was under the impression that I could "unsuspend" the script at any time and use the days I had left without incurring any further charge. This turned out not to be the case. I unsuspended the script--lost the 6 days--and was immed billed for another month. I wrote the support e-mail on this yesterday, still no reply. So today I "suspended" the script yet again and since the charge has already hit my account, asked if I could put another script in its place and get my 6 days back without being charged anew. TBD....
                        http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Yeah it only stops the billing renewal.

It would be great if you effectively paid by day.
                          Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

I just stepped away and lo and behold, on my AOL addy there is refund from the BL for $5 (equal to the 6 days when I suspended hosting on the script). That's okay, but I still don't know if I can swap the script that I suspended with another one without getting hit for another $25 bucks for the month.
                            http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                              Everything goes, impressions, downloads, ratings - it's a clean slate.

I've pulled one and re-hosted, there wasn't a problem with it being uploaded under the same name either.
                              Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
                                I just stepped away and lo and behold, on my AOL addy there is refund from the BL for $5 (equal to the 6 days when I suspended hosting on the script). That's okay, but I still don't know if I can swap the script that I suspended with another one without getting hit for another $25 bucks for the month.
                                It'll charge you automatically, but it sounds like Franklin is willing to reimburse. I need to do the same - good to read.

Comment

Working...
                                X