X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Throwdown: Hamboogul vs. Jeff Lowell

BDZ,

So you vote for SAMPLE A, right?

And yeah, I'm sure we'll read about Jeff's spec sale about GRUMPY DIRTY OLD MEN in May.

Comment

I challenge BDZ.

Comment

Pro vs. pro, eh? Another interesting challenge would be pro vs. self.

Any of the pros wanna take a one-hour stab at a scene, turn around, and take a totally different stab? Might just be interesting to see two different but competent ways something could be written.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
          I challenge BDZ.
          Dear God,

I don't ask for much. I've been a good boy. Please make this happen.

Comment

JL V. BDZ ... whoa!

(Ham - should we do a little side wagering on this one?)
            Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
              JL V. BDZ ... whoa!

(Ham - should we do a little side wagering on this one?)
              I'm 100 percent certain JL is kidding. However, a dream match up for me would be to have a three way writing contest between me, BDZ, and his writing partner where we each have to write in the Robotard voice.

Comment

I challenge BDZ.
                Bring it.

But first explain it.

Slowly.

I have no idea what this is as I always skim threads.

But after that, bring it.

Comment

Oh, sh!t.

Someone gives us a premise. We each have an hour to write a few pages. It's the honor system - you don't have to start when you get the premise, but when you sit down to write, you have an hour.

Comment

Oh, sh!t.

Someone gives us a premise. We each have an hour to write a few pages. It's the honor system - you don't have to start when you get the premise, but when you sit down to write, you have an hour.
                    How about I PM you both and you both send me something by Friday?

Edit to add: If both people are cool with that, I was thinking of going through last year's Blacklist scripts and randomly picking a premise from it. And you both have to write the opening 3 pages or so... It could be a start of a feature but should still have some nice payoff so it can perhaps stand alone as a shorter story.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
                      How about I PM you both and you both send me something by Friday?

Edit to add: If both people are cool with that, I was thinking of going through last year's Blacklist scripts and randomly picking a premise from it. And you both have to write the opening 3 pages or so... It could be a start of a feature but should still have some nice payoff so it can perhaps stand alone as a shorter story.
                      Just start a new thread and post the premise. If the hour doesn't start until they're actually writing, why not let everyone see the premise early? Then they can PM you their pages by Friday to be posted.
                      Looking to take the "Bono" off my screenname.

Comment

I'm 100 percent certain JL is kidding. However, a dream match up for me would be to have a three way writing contest between me, BDZ, and his writing partner where we each have to write in the Robotard voice.
                        If I'd seen this post before JL posted above, I would say he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who kids about such things. See? I was right!

As for you in a three-way (sounds kinky) with BDZ and his writing partner (competing in the Robotard voice, no less!), you are a glutton for punishment aren't you, bubbalah!

I believe the Vatican carries hair-shirts in your size.

ETA: Ham? What happened to the threads with practice runs? Where you invited us to join in? I just realized I never made a copy of my attempt at using Star Wars dialogue in a scene. Dumb, I know. But I sort of like my charcaters. Is there a way to retrive it?
                        Last edited by sc111; 04-12-2011, 10:57 AM.
                        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Just read through this entire thread, including Jeff's short story (my boss thinks I'm working diligently on budget projections, hyuk hyuk!)

Kudos to Ham for setting this up and to Jeff for being a great sport. Also to the others who posted their versions.

I like both A and B, think the writing is excellent, but I feel B works better as an adaptation. Changing the protagonist and the POV in B highlights the ironic twist of the concept, and it feels fresher and more original. But honestly, both versions are solid.

Thanks, guys!

Late Night Writer
                          ooops... back to work.

Comment

sc111,

I asked sarajb to put it in moderation mode so it's hidden. i didn't want to confuse the DDers with multiple threads in this section when the other three threads were just me messing around, trying to figure out a format that worked.

So it's not deleted. Just hidden.

Comment

sc111,

I asked sarajb to put it in moderation mode so it's hidden. i didn't want to confuse the DDers with multiple threads in this section when the other three threads were just me messing around, trying to figure out a format that worked.

So it's not deleted. Just hidden.

Okay -- I'll shoot Sara a PM and see if she can paste it in an email for me. thanks!

Comment

Hamboogul vs. Lowell

... sounds like a damn monster movie.
                                Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Working...
                                X