Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

Possibly looking for new representation and wondering who I should target.

Me, I've sold 18 feature specs, done writing work for Miramax and Gold Circle Entertainment, and my last two MOWs received the highest ratings the network's ever had... keep in mind it was ****ty Lifetime stuff lol.

I specialize in horror, thriller, and comedy and am 30 years old.

Any suggestions?

Re: Help

You've sold 18 features, are 30 and come here asking who would be a good rep? Man, you've lived many lifetimes for a screenwriter. By now you shouldn't have the least problem finding someone to take you on.

Comment

Dude, I wish I had your problems...

want a cookie?

or a banana peel. Just trip on it outside the steps of CAA and I'm sure you'll run into an agent that will gladly take you on. Heck, they may ask you if you want one just to spare themselves a lawsuit.

Comment

You'd have better luck asking one of the many producers you've worked with for a suggestion/reference.

Comment

Maybe if you were to tell us the names of some of the stuff you've had produced, we can better help you target an agent?

Comment

At this point, it seems prudent to remind you that you don't work for representation - they are service providers FOR YOU. If you want them to come knocking, start using the relationships you've developed and the lessons learned to produce the stuff you really want to see shot.

Comment

I smell a banned ex-DD'r.
              "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

medavidson. there have been four tv movies and a small indie sex comedy with limited theatrical release. still working my way up.

Comment

Jesus, eighteen?

That' a lot of sold screenplays.

1. How'd you even go this long without an agent? Nobody ever mentioned it at a meeting or anything?

2. Still know anybody over at Miramax? Sure they could help you out.

3. At this point even just a couple cold calls to some agencies might suffice. Pick a couple names and go for it!
                  Write.Sell.Repeat.

Theoretically...

Comment

I have an agent, I just want one that actually does something. all the 18 sales were through my own contacts.

Comment

Originally posted by sumyoungguy View Post
                      I have an agent, I just want one that actually does something. all the 18 sales were through my own contacts.
                      Yeah, um, that's how it works almost everywhere.

Comment

Okay so you're saying the situation I'm in is how most agents are? Here's my situation:

In the last year, he has not sent any of my specs out, has not got me one meeting with a producer, has not introduced me to anyone new, and on my last project (with the same company I've been working for over the years) I actually got HALF of what I'm usually paid to do the same job.

In that same year, I've sold a spec on my own and set up 4 writing assignments. the agent still takes ten percent of every deal I set up.

Is that your experience with every agent?

Comment

Originally posted by artisone View Post
                          Yeah, um, that's how it works almost everywhere.
                          Um, no, it absolutely does *not*.

Between this statement and some previous horrifying advice from your reps that you've posted, I truly hope you can find better yourself some better representation one day.

To the OG:

Yes, with your creds, you deserve better. MUCH better.

Time to start making some calls and asking for referrals from your contacts. Just that simple.

Comment

Working...
                          X