X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many to query...

Hi guys,

I'm Raven, kinda new to the board.

I'm querying right now and I was wondering...is it a faux pas to query more than one agent/manager at a time at the same agency?

In the lit world it's a BIG no-no! In screen world...not too sure?

thanks

Re: how many to query...

Originally posted by raven View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm Raven, kinda new to the board.

I'm querying right now and I was wondering...is it a faux pas to query more than one agent/manager at a time at the same agency?

In the lit world it's a BIG no-no! In screen world...not too sure?

thanks
    There aren't any hard and fast rules, per se.
    Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Comment

Blanket the town with your query!

(Welcome!)
      What's a girl to do, when the chocolate ice cream and batteries run out?

Comment

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MrTsuvykUZk

Comment

"Tone is now engaged in a furious Google search for Leighton Meester's keester." -- A friend of mine

Comment

thanks guys,

I'll confetti the town.

NYNEX. Cool.

Thanks Alice babe, you're sweet. 2 chocolate kisses to you!

QualityControl ~ I likes your style. Remind me to buy you a drink!

Ralphie. I'll vote for you to set me free. Rap on brother!

xx

Comment

Here's a thought.

If I was an Agent and you sent me a query, with my name at the top I would assume you selected me as your target (within the agency) for one reason or another, maybe I rep writer's you enjoy or find similarities with? But if Henry in the next cubicle got the same boilerplate query but with his name on it, I might (stress might) think twice about your sincerity, or at least your professional focus.

Personally, I'm with everyone else, and say, go for it. But if this is within the same Agency, I'm not sure if I would. Rather, I don't see why you would.

Just something to think about.

Comment

I've queried more than one agency at the same agency, and I've done this at more than one agency. It lead to one agent who liked my script and is sending it out.

Could it possibly offend someone somewhere that you queried more than one person at the same firm? Yes, it could. But seriously, who cares? It's in your interest to find people interested in your work, and therefore you need to contact as many people as you think are necessary.

I'll also note that when I lately targeted companies, I only bothered to query/contact those whose PRODUCED or SOLD work was reasonably similar to my own work.

Comment

I would focus more on managers than agents, as they are, generally speaking, far more approachable. But of course, a super hook could get you a request from anywhere, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by seh View Post
                    I would focus more on managers than agents, as they are, generally speaking, far more approachable. But of course, a super hook could get you a request from anywhere, IMHO.
                    I think it's a myth managers are more approachable than agences. Approach them both. The worst anyone can say is no.

Comment

Alveraz,
                      I'll take that into consideration. Thank you

NYNEX,
                      I only bothered to query/contact those whose PRODUCED or SOLD work was reasonably similar to my own work.

Yeah, that's so true. Spot on! I'm also targeting managers who rep actors that I thought of while writing the script. Also, I'm sure agents/managers get that often enough...the same query floating around. You'd think, right?

Seh,
                      I'm hoping my concept gets them. Newbies need that super-hook/concept. I just want them to read it. It's all about that right person.

You guys are great! It's so wonderful to be exchanging advice and stuff with fellow screenwriters, you have no idea. I don't run into a lot of screenwriters where I'm from.

Swoooon.

Comment

If you've done enough homework to be targeting the right reps, then each query should be slightly tailored to the person you're writing anyway, whether they're at the same agency as another query or not. Nobody likes to feel like you sent them a form letter. So, regardless of where it's going, you throw in just a line or two about what you know of their clients or past projects, and why you think you and your script fit in.

I think if you do that, you're a lot less likely to rub somebody the wrong way if they happen to find out you've queried another agent/manager at the same house. After all, reps do know that new writers are just trying to get a foot in the door.

That said, especially with smaller places, I'm not sure how productive querying multiple reps at the same place will be. There are places where the reps work quite closely together and share client information, and in those cases, a multiple query just wastes your postage and their time, and makes you look like you didn't spend any effort looking into how the company runs things. So do your research and make sure there's a point to hitting up more than one person, before you bother.
                        The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter -- it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. - Mark Twain

Comment

Jillybob,

Beyond sound advice, I will most definitely take that into consideration.

I'm trying to hit managers/agents/producers that rep actors and directors that I believe will fit this particular script. It's sooooo much homework (...wait, there's no sleepy face smiley face here? snaps) sometimes I get wiped out just doing the research.

thanks so much for the advice and the heads-up.

I luv this bouncy little grape/face/grape thing.

Comment

Originally posted by raven View Post
                            Jillybob,

Beyond sound advice, I will most definitely take that into consideration.

I'm trying to hit managers/agents/producers that rep actors and directors that I believe will fit this particular script. It's sooooo much homework (...wait, there's no sleepy face smiley face here? snaps) sometimes I get wiped out just doing the research.

thanks so much for the advice and the heads-up.

I luv this bouncy little grape/face/grape thing.
                            You've already figured it out, Raven. My script is being sent out by a big agency precisely because I contacted the managers and agents of producers, actors, and directors who worked on similar projects.

I think the reps of actors, directors, and producers are probably more open to reading scripts than literary agents. Literary agents focusing on selling or getting assignments for existing clients, while the reps of producers, actors, and directors have to read incoming scripts to help set up projects for their clients.

Comment

NYNEX,

That's so great to hear about your work! I wish you every blessing and success in the coming months, to get the RIGHT director/producer and cast to bring your script to life. I'd be pissing my pants.

What a feeling.... makes me happy just thinking about it.

btw, how long does it usually take for an agent/manager to respond to a query. Last time a studio asked to read my script it took around 3 days to get a reply. Is that about right?

thanks NY,

nite.

Comment

Working...
                              X