Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2019, 03:06 PM   #21
Friday

Default Re: Yet another movie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julysses View Post
I think the dog is a different dynamic than kids

maybe the dog signifies someone that has trouble in relationships and the children relate to a need for matrimony or stability?

you know what they say about having a gun in the 1st act?

They are sometimes a package deal. I just saw a movie recently where the dog and a little girl were used to tug at our heart strings. Art of Racing in the Rain. There was also another dog in the park movie that used the exact same device. It works every time. It really doesn't matter the profession. Female protagonists are usually caring and misunderstood.......or they were a mess and selfish...then shown the light...and are now caring. Whether it's a kindergarten teacher or a jaded businesswoman who doesn't have time to date, it usually goes down the same garden paths.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:25 PM   #22
Julysses
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Female protagonists are usually caring and misunderstood.......or they were a mess and selfish...then shown the light...and are now caring. Whether it's a kindergarten teacher or a jaded businesswoman who doesn't have time to date, it usually goes down the same garden paths.
with fade in to fade out, studios are writing commercially... anything not produced by a studio is up in the air, even at that it's really the notes and development that can fail.

if you had a studio head or exec or whatever in here I'm sure they'd say something like: it doesn't matter what has be done before, it matters what makes money ...which is basically what audiences empathize with

as for female protag being Business women... in the 80s there were a lot. My guess would be that it signifies independence and to be appreciated for their femininity... usually it's packaged with the fish out of water structure of self discovery, sexuality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
They are sometimes a package deal. I just saw a movie recently where the dog and a little girl were used to tug at our heart strings. Art of Racing in the Rain. There was also another dog in the park movie that used the exact same device. It works every time. It really doesn't matter the profession.
guess the dog is the protagonist in the movie? ... wonder what his character arc is and what emotional problems the dog overcomes
Julysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:49 AM   #23
Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julysses View Post
with fade in to fade out, studios are writing commercially... anything not produced by a studio is up in the air, even at that it's really the notes and development that can fail.

if you had a studio head or exec or whatever in here I'm sure they'd say something like: it doesn't matter what has be done before, it matters what makes money ...which is basically what audiences empathize with

as for female protag being Business women... in the 80s there were a lot. My guess would be that it signifies independence and to be appreciated for their femininity... usually it's packaged with the fish out of water structure of self discovery, sexuality

guess the dog is the protagonist in the movie? ... wonder what his character arc is and what emotional problems the dog overcomes

The dog seemed to be the narrator. He probably had an arc, but I wasn't paying as much attention as I was to the human arcs of the family he was with.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote