THIS will be the biggest flop of the year.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THIS will be the biggest flop of the year.

THIS IS THE MOVIE TITLE---> How Do You Know <---THE MOVIE TITLE IS THIS

Why? Well according to THR, it has a shocking $120 million total production price tag. Thankfully they got it down to $100 million due to tax breaks, BUT, you still have to add in marketing, so you can knock it back up to a total cost of about $150 million.

With a mid-level budget releasing on an empty Spring weekend this movie wouldn't do very well, so why they put $150 million into this with a plan to release it during the Holidays, opposite Tron, The Fighter, and Yogi Bear and coming off hold overs from Narnia and The Tourist is just....inexplicable. I mean I can't even wrap my head around what on earth Columbia Pictures was thinking.

This flick will be lucky to pull in maybe $15 million and open in 4th or 5th place, if it even does that well. And we know romcoms aren't an international draw, so the final worldwide box office for this piece of expensive poop will be around $50 million, meaning Columbia threw $100 million down the drain.

Whomever greenlit this film with this cast, on this budget, and set its release date at this time should, and likely will be, fired.
    Last edited by scripto80; 12-09-2010, 04:10 PM.

Re: THIS will be the biggest flop of the year.

I was about to post WHAT IS THE MOVIE, DUMMY? When I realized that How Do You Know was the title, not a rhetorical question.

I totally forgot that movie existed.
    Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by scripto80 View Post
      How Do You Know. Why? Well according to THR, it has a shocking $120 million total production price tag. Thankfully they got it down to $100 million due to tax breaks, BUT, you still have to add in marketing, so you can knock it back up to a total cost of about $150 million.

With a mid-level budget releasing on an empty Spring weekend this movie wouldn't do very well, so why they put $150 million into this with a plan to release it during the Holidays, opposite Tron, The Fighter, and Yogi Bear and coming off hold overs from Narnia and The Tourist is just....inexplicable. I mean I can't even wrap my head around what on earth Columbia Pictures was thinking.

This flick will be lucky to pull in maybe $15 million and open in 4th or 5th place, if it even does that well. And we know romcoms aren't an international draw, so the final worldwide box office for this piece of expensive poop will be around $50 million, meaning Columbia threw $100 million down the drain.

Whomever greenlit this film with this cast, on this budget, and set it's release date at this time should, and likely will be, fired.
      I agree, this one is completely impossible to understand, I don't know how this movie could be budgeted at this level under any circumstances, totally insane.

Comment

Do you have a source on that budget/ a quote? Wikepdia lists the movie's budget at $ 60 million (still way too high though)

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
          I was about to post WHAT IS THE MOVIE, DUMMY? When I realized that How Do You Know was the title, not a rhetorical question.

I totally forgot that movie existed.
          LMAO.

But anyway your last statement pretty much sums it up. No one knows much of anything about this movie. I've seen quite a few commercials, but none of them tell me anything about the movie, other than the fact that it has a cast no one cares about right now (except Paul Rudd anyway). Speaking of, THR mentioned the cast alone cost $50 million. Yeah I....don't really have much to say about that because I think the number speaks for itself.

Comment

Originally posted by scripto80 View Post
            How Do You Know. Why? Well according to THR, it has a shocking $120 million total production price tag. Thankfully they got it down to $100 million due to tax breaks, BUT, you still have to add in marketing, so you can knock it back up to a total cost of about $150 million.

Whomever greenlit this film with this cast, on this budget, and set it's release date at this time should, and likely will be, fired.
            You can't be serious, right? You have me reading through this and there's no movie mentioned...

EDIT: Okay... I'm not the only one here

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

You guys are cracking me up. This is like a friggin Abbott and Costello moment here.

OK, I've edited the first post so the title is more clear now.

Comment

Y'know, this is kinda weird...but I've heard this rumor that some people over forty still go to the movies.
                "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                  Y'know, this is kinda weird...but I've heard this rumor that some people over forty still go to the movies.
                  When they go to the theater the kids that work there swarm them like the old man at the end of Logan's Run.

Comment

This is a romcom? The billboards for it don't convey that impression at all. I figured it was a stupid comedy.
                    "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
                    ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by Slappynipsy View Post
                      When they go to the theater the kids that work there swarm them like the old man at the end of Logan's Run.
                      Yeah, but people over 35 already know, or don't care!

I would compare this to 'He's Just Not That Into You'..... except that had a strong advertising campaign and was based off of a popular book. $178 mill worldwide was a good take.... just don't see that happening here.
                      Words... they don't arrange themselves.

Comment

I agree that the timing is way off. Pardon the pun, but how do you know the film would not have done well in Spring? Because it looks like a the perfect Valentine/Spring movie. Not my cup, but it just has that Spring flowery vibe to it.

It's been said that The Tourist will likely be 2010's last mushy nugget.
                        "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                        - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Nobody around here has ever seen TERMS OF ENDEARMENT, I'LL DO ANYTHING, BROADCAST NEWS or AS GOOD AS IT GETS ?

This is James L. Brooks. One of the greatest screenwriters in Hollywood history. Pretty damn good director, too.

F*uck the budget. I don't really understand what that has to do with anything. If too much was spent, that's the studio's problem. It has nothing to do with the movie experience. It didn't cost me a dime.

As for the release timing, it makes perfect sense to me. It's counter programming against films like TRON and TRUE GRIT.

And again, this is James L. Brooks with Jack Nicholson. I really don't care if Brooks's last effort was off the mark. The guy made his bones many times over.

I'll watch anything the guy puts out.
                          Last edited by prescribe22; 12-09-2010, 08:15 PM.

Comment

It's a small film, with a big budget.

The problem is, some writer-director likes to make small films... but as time goes on, they want to make more money and take more time and hire bigger stars (which are required because the story is small). And you end up with a film like this (or any number of others) that attract mostly a small, older audience who may go out to one film for the holidays.

But that same older audience saw TRON way back when, and will probably check that out instead. Or maybe see one of the other small movies competing for their ass in the cinema seat.

Though this is Jim Brooks who specializes in films like this, and mostly has success with these films, I think it would make sense if small films had small budgets. That way, if one flopped in the cinema, it could still make its money back on video & TV deals.

But what usually happens is small films become more expensive with each film, until you end up with a small film that costs as much as a mass audience appeal genre film.

- Bill
                            Free Script Tips:
                            http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

It would obviously work out better for the studio had the budget been smaller.

But that cat's out of the bag. No going back now.

I just hope people don't write this movie off as some lightweight romantic comedy even if the trailers may portray it that way.

That's not what Brooks does.

The marketing may suggest otherwise, but you can bet this film has some hefty emotional twists. That's Brooks's bread-and-butter. His comedy cuts against a very painful painful emotional grain.

It's really, really, really hard to do what he's done.

Outside of folks like Richard Curtis and Billy Wilder, there aren't many who have hit the emotional notes Brooks's has without becoming maudlin.

Look, it may end up being a dud (I really don't know anything about the movie itself). Maybe Brooks has lost his touch. I don't know.

But I would implore everyone to give it a chance before blowing it off.

This guy is one of the reasons I got into screenwriting, so I'm definitely going to check it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X