No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Please allow me to extend a public mea culpa to Franklin and The Black List...

Earlier in this thread I posted a late-night rant about how I thought this new venture wasn't worth it, that it probably would amount to taking advantage of writers, that it ain't any better than contests, and so on. Franklin was generously civil in his reply, and that was that for me.

Until... enticed by the success stories, Franklin's continuing responsiveness and professionalism on these threads, and the Black Friday discount for professional reads, like a cheap, hypocritical jerk I went ahead and sent in a rewrite of my (co-written) script, WRONGFUL. It was all very smooth and easy, and it was only $70 ($25 + $45) to take a shot at something potentially really big.

And I feel genuinely humbled and extremely excited that it just got an overall score of 9:
    https://www.blcklst.com/members/script/5205
    Last edited by marcal; 11-30-2012, 01:34 PM. Reason: layout

Comment

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Originally posted by marcal View Post

Earlier in this thread I posted a late-night rant about how I thought this new venture wasn't worth it, that it probably would amount to taking advantage of writers, that it ain't any better than contests, and so on. Franklin was generously civil in his reply, and that was that for me.

Until... enticed by the success stories, Franklin's continuing responsiveness and professionalism on these threads, and the Black Friday discount for professional reads, like a cheap, hypocritical jerk I went ahead and sent in a rewrite of my (co-written) script, WRONGFUL. It was all very smooth and easy, and it was only $70 ($25 + $45) to take a shot at something potentially really big.

And I feel genuinely humbled and extremely excited that it just got an overall score of 9:
      O....M.... G! Congrats on the 9! That sure is a lot of co-writers on one script... how in the world do four people agree on what goes into any one script?
      "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Congrats man. It's an incredibly valuable service. You made the right call.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
          O....M.... G! Congrats on the 9! That sure is a lot of co-writers on one script... how in the world do four people agree on what goes into any one script?
          Thanks. I pitched and then did a page-one rewrite of Jon/Eric/Marc's script. The three of them know Marty Tankleff, the subject of the story (Marc even appeared on the Oprah about Marty), and they introduced me to Marty too. You can read about his case at www.martytankleff.org

After a lot of research and many drafts, thankfully they were happy with what I ultimately did with the script...

Comment

Thanks. I pitched and then did a page-one rewrite of Jon/Eric/Marc's script. The three of them know Marty Tankleff, the subject of the story (Marc even appeared on the Oprah about Marty), and they introduced me to Marty too. You can read about his case at www.martytankleff.org

After a lot of research and many drafts, thankfully they were happy with what I ultimately did with the script...

Congratulations, that's terrific. An interesting case indeed. I remember it. I've been to Dannemora in January. The closest I ever want to get to life at the arctic circle.
            Seven years dungeon --- no trials!

Comment

Franklin: Several people are reporting their third paid read is taking a lot longer than their first and second reads.

Question: Do the paid readers know they're first (or second? or third?) paid reader? Do they prioritize first and second reads over the third read?
              "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
                Franklin: Several people are reporting their third paid read is taking a lot longer than their first and second reads.

Question: Do the paid readers know they're first (or second? or third?) paid reader? Do they prioritize first and second reads over the third read?
                Paid readers have no idea whether they're first, second, third, or twenty third. I suspect this is coincidence, and an understandably vocal minority not being representative of the entire population.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
                  Paid readers have no idea whether they're first, second, third, or twenty third. I suspect this is coincidence, and an understandably vocal minority not being representative of the entire population.
                  OK, thanks for clarifying!

Comment

I paid for 2 reads at the same time when I first signed up.
                    Got one after 17 Days... Got the other after 24 Days

Then went for a third read
                    came back after 11 Days.

...So that's my experience from a data POV.

Comment

On my THE RETURN, I have 37 impressions, 2 downloads and 1 paid BL read. How the heck can I turn impressions into other downloads/reads?

https://www.blcklst.com/members/script/5196
                      http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
                        On my THE RETURN, I have 37 impressions, 2 downloads and 1 paid BL read. How the heck can I turn impressions into other downloads/reads?
                        My impression is...only a high rating, 8 or above, will generate additional downloads. Keep in mind, it's not only the number of downloads (some choose to view on the site) or the grand total of impressions or overall rating that counts. If you catch the attention of just one manager and agent (both of which can't rate the scripts) on the BL, they WILL contact you to see if they can take your script around, or to see what else you've got.

It seems that many of us have received 8's or 9's, and from there it's a matter of timing...I'm curious, have any of the Top Uploads received a 10 yet? I'd be curious what constitutes the mountaintop...

Comment

https://www.blcklst.com/members/script/5196

I'm going to download your script and try to read it over the weekend. Will give you some feedback when finished. Premise sounds very interesting. I like you didn't take the safe route most these kind of scripts do.

Comment

One thing I'm confused about. Maybe it has been made clear, or maybe not. Would a 9 basically insinuate this script is on the level of say, BRAVEHEART or HEAT? (I know it depends on the genre, just using examples to get my point across)

And would an 8 insinuate the script is on the level of TAKEN?

I ask this because my understanding is the scripts are being judged not only for the writing, but concept and marketability of Hollywood standards. If so, there's a lot of 8 and 9's being handed out, which means there is a SH*TLOAD of talent that hasn't been exposed to the industry, meaning the blacklist is about to change the landscape of Hollywood.

I know it depends a lot on the genre. But what people have been saying forever is, most writers aren't that good. And most can barely write a competent story. My belief has always been there are tons of great writers out there, but very few great storytellers. There is a big difference between the two.

This isn't to critique the site, I'm just really curious what standards are being used? Because the Blacklist is about to change the model of Hollywood if I'm inferring correctly. Which is great.

What are the exact numbers regarding scripts that have received 8 or 9 in the past month?

Comment

Originally posted by Deion22 View Post
                              I'm going to download your script and try to read it over the weekend. Will give you some feedback when finished. Premise sounds very interesting. I like you didn't take the safe route most these kind of scripts do.
                              Thanks, Deion. I tried to make it very clear in the logline that this is brutal material, graphic sex and violence but it has a lot of heart and soul. I bled on every page writing it. If you are a fan like me of THE WALKING DEAD (and I wrote THE RETURN way before I had even heard of TWD)my script is right up your alley.
                              Last edited by LIMAMA; 12-01-2012, 02:33 PM. Reason: me
                              http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Thanks, Deion. I tried to make it very clear in the logline that this is brutal material, graphic sex and violence but it has a lot of heart and soul. I bled on every page writing it. If you are a fan like me of THE WALKING DEAD (and I wrote THE RETURN way before I had even heard of TWD)my script is right up your alley.

This is an awesome script! I read it before I really got to know LIMAMA, and the moment I read it I knew she won my heart! My sick, depraved heart
                                Seven years dungeon --- no trials!

Comment

Working...
                                X