Do screenwriting agents rep novelists too?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do screenwriting agents rep novelists too?

Originally posted by EnsconcedinVelvet View Post
    This is what I want to do. I have a book w/Big 5. I would love to get into rewriting dialogue. Any advice surftat?
    Well... I should point out that it took this writer 10 years to get there. I should also point out that it's not just dialogue polishes, but a full rewrite of what they feel isn't working.

This writer was originally signed off of a short story -- published in Harper's magazine, then quickly had a feature script [in addition to a novel or two]. From there the writer got said script made with a legendary [albeit long since his prime] actor as the lead. From there he did a job for a big director. That film never got made. From there he did a few rewrites. A couple sold specs. From there he did another job for said director [said director loved him -- that's the other thing -- this writer is EXCELLENT in a room. Not overly dramatic, more laid back classy, worldly, exclusive vibe. And fairly good looking, could pass as an actor. Which helps actors dig him too, and they do. He became friends with the A-list actor of the film I'm about to mention] Which leads to the next film, an adaptation for said director who requested him. This film was critically acclaimed and on track for an Oscar nom. But wasn't to be. Was instead nominated for Golden Globe best pic. Don't recall if it won, I don't believe so. From there he did a few other gigs before landing the 100k a week gig which began as a two week job and turned into 9 weeks -- mind you, on a script that sold for 1.5 mil. He's not credited on it.

So, just understand that it takes time. And it's a ton of work in the interim. I've also seen novelists turn screenwriters turned back to novelists, as it wasn't a world they fit neatly into.

Speaking of work. He did free work on that 100k a week gig. They came back and asked for a days worth of work as a favor. It turned into 3-4 days. The agent suggested he do it for free to get in their [studio] good graces as their deadline was too close to for business affaires to fuss with the deal -- if I recall. Was a few years back.

What should you do? Good question: Do you currently have a book-to-film agent? Is your book a movie? Can you adapt it yourself?
    DOPE CITY

Comment

Working...
    X