Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you need a manager?

I was listening to a Scripts and Scribes podcast and a manager by the name of Jesse Silver was on, and here's a conversation that went on, roughly transcribed (NOTE: I have questions below the quote, you don't need to read the quote if its too long):

HOST: agents are in the business of selling material more than finding new talent, because they have a lot more clients, I mean, unless you win the nicholl fellowship, you're prolly not on their radar, or not something they would take a chance on unless you get a referral, so they find a lot of their clients through referrals through managers

Lets say you find a new writer you want to work with, what's the next step:

JESSE: If they have a great script, well then absolutely, we're just gonna go get an agent, because we're just gonna go sell that script.

Then he talks about this one writer and his scripts was one fo the best things he ever read and he said, I knew it was gonna start his career. I don't know if its gonna sell, because its super tiny, but it is.... you will be a professional writer. And went and got an agent.

A splashy sale to a studio is easiest scenario for reps (for getting an agent I guess he means, tho doesn't he have to have an agent to make a sale?), because you get incoming calls right away, you have other studios start calling you, 'who is this guy, we gotta meet him,' and it takes care of itself. Then my main job at that point is making sure he has a lineup of new material to sell and advance his career, so we go right into development.

For someone who doesn't necessarily have a script that he can sell right away, we start developing one. And I try not to think about selling it, I try only to think about making a statement about this person and their writing and who they are and in some cases that has ended up with a sale. We just say lets write something really bananas, and then it ends up making a big sale and making a ton of money and launching the person into another category.

Sometimes its too weird to sell, but it still has enough value that that person gets a lot of meetings and now people know who they are, which gives me an opportunity to haev them write something a little safer for their next script, because now they have credibility as a creative and brilliant person, they can do something slightly safer that fits into sort of the kind of boxes of things that actually get made, and I find that works really well.

But its not until you have something to sell that I go to an agent.
    Now, I have two questions:

1. is it really that rare for agents to sign people based on scripts that are good but they don't necessarily think will sell, just to wait for the writer's next script? I could swear I've heard a lot of stories like that, tho it may have been mainly Nicholl winners.

Furthermore, isn't it standard practice to querry agents with screenplays?

2. How much does a writer really need a manager?

If you look at some of the stuff that the manager says, I feel its stuff that most people would know if you follow the trades and you listen to screenwriting podcasts etc.; Have at least two scripts before you querry, if something sells you should have more material so people can read it while there's buzz around you, be aware that your material is creating an idea of what kind of writer you are etc etc.

I feel that that's all stuff people who try to be informed screenwriters know about and can therefore manage their own careers in that way.

So why then would a guy need a manager?

Sometimes people say he helps you develop the script, but what if I don't want that? I feel I can be objective about my work and develop it fine by myself.

So what would be the benefits of a manager?

I suppose his contacts would be of value.
    Last edited by Dimitri001; 04-17-2016, 12:28 AM.

Re: Do you need a manager?

Great questions Dmitri. I look forward to the reading the responses from some of the more experienced writers on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitri001 View Post
      I was listening to a Scripts and Scribes podcast and a manager by the name of Jesse Silver was on, and here's a conversation that went on, roughly transcribed (NOTE: I have questions below the quote, you don't need to read the quote if its too long):

Now, I have two questions:

1. is it really that rare for agents to sign people based on scripts that are good but they don't necessarily think will sell, just to wait for the writer's next script? I could swear I've heard a lot of stories like that, tho it may have been mainly Nicholl winners.

Furthermore, isn't it standard practice to querry agents with screenplays?

2. How much does a writer really need a manager?

If you look at some of the stuff that the manager says, I feel its stuff that most people would know if you follow the trades and you listen to screenwriting podcasts etc.; Have at least two scripts before you querry, if something sells you should have more material so people can read it while there's buzz around you, be aware that your material is creating an idea of what kind of writer you are etc etc.

I feel that that's all stuff people who try to be informed screenwriters know about and can therefore manage their own careers in that way.

So why then would a guy need a manager?

Sometimes people say he helps you develop the script, but what if I don't want that? I feel I can be objective about my work and develop it fine by myself.

So what would be the benefits of a manager?

I suppose his contacts would be of value.
      I've had a manager for four years and the primary benefits have been 1) her connections to companies/people who would otherwise ignore me, and 2) her negotiation of options/deals for me (it's sometimes really good to have a middle-man handling things to avoid awkward or acrimonious situations with the producer and/or director who wants to option your script).

I'm sure others will have different take on the situation but that has been my experience.

Comment

This first-person article by Justin Marks, writer of "The Jungle Book," may be helpful:

johnaugust.com/2011/get-a-manager

Comment

http://johnaugust.com/2011/get-a-manager

Comment

An agent won't sign a writer for "potential." An agent wants a script that's ready to put out on the market with minimal to zero tinkering.

Meanwhile, a manager CAN sign a writer for potential. They can help you get your current script ready for market. They can also help you develop your next script

You say you don't want someone to help you with your script. You can find a manager that's more hands off. But honestly you probably DO need help with your script.

Managers can offer valuable info on what's selling, what's not selling, etc. That saves you from wasting your time writing the 200th Robin Hood reboot script in the market.

Managers can get you general meetings with independent producers, production companies, studios etc which gets your name out about town and can lead to writing assignments.

And when the time is right, managers can give your script to potential agents to send out. Agents that may potentially sign you.

Managers are really important to new writers. Can you get by without one? Yeah. But it makes your life that much harder.

I can't imagine trying to get a career going without one.

Comment

Excellent article. Thanks for posting it.

Comment

I found a rep at CAA with an unsellable script [indie, dark, not for sale -- I wanted to direct it]. But -----------------> This was 5+ years ago.

I imagine a lot has changed since then. I doubt I'd find the same rep now based on the same material.

Secondly. You DO need notes. And I second the thoughts that you cannot navigate the industry the way reps do. They have information you cannot discover on your own. The rags don't tell the complete story of the town. The rags tell you what happened, not what's ABOUT TO HAPPEN. Big dif in terms of strategy.
                DOPE CITY

Comment

Originally posted by surftatboy View Post
                  I found a rep at CAA with an unsellable script [indie, dark, not for sale -- I wanted to direct it]. But -----------------> This was 5+ years ago.

I imagine a lot has changed since then. I doubt I'd find the same rep now based on the same material.

Secondly. You DO need notes. And I second the thoughts that you cannot navigate the industry the way reps do. They have information you cannot discover on your own. The rags don't tell the complete story of the town. The rags tell you what happened, not what's ABOUT TO HAPPEN. Big dif in terms of strategy.
                  By rep you mean agent, right?

Why do you say you doubt you'd get the guy now with the same material?

As a side note, you say you wanted to direct it, I also want to direct some of my scripts. You list it as one of the reasons why it was unsellable, have you gotten to direct it, or anything else, since?

What are your thoughts on how possible that is, coming in asking to direct a script?

Comment

1. Rep in regard to CAA? Yeah, they're an agency. No managers there.

2. Doubt I'd have the same reception as things have become far more 'bottom line' at CAA [all agencies] over the years. I remember when they still had x-mas parties and claimed a "CAA family". Those days are dead.

3. I didn't get to direct it, though they tried to help set it up [for me to direct]. We went to actors and financiers. I never directed it, like I mentioned; a buddy of mine had secured 12 mil for another writer/director around that time. Said he had someone for 1 mil for my film (I could have done it for less), but I was seriously interested. However, CAA was simultaneously pushing me to develop bigger/commercial sh*t. I got sucked into that and dropped the film after the talent they went to decided to do blockbuster type flick instead. From there I was in development hell for a year and a half. Meaning, I'd written nothing new, only developing potential pitches that never went anywhere due to people leaving companies and so forth. (Which is when I said "fvck this, I need to write something. Which I did. And sold it. Despite my agents telling me, initially, it wasn't viable.)

3a. You have to be your own agent regardless. YOU decide what you will write or not. Lesson learned (...that your reps don't know what will sell or not. No matter how adamant they are.)

4. I think it's entirely possible to direct your script. Especially if you secure your own financing. But don't expect your agent to be supportive. It's two years of your life. In fact, they'll probably drop you in the interim if you decide to go off and direct [an indie]. You have nearly zero chance of directing a studio film. Unless you're proven in some way. Otherwise zero chance...
                    DOPE CITY

Comment

Originally posted by surftatboy
                      You have to be your own agent regardless. YOU decide what you will write or not. Lesson learned (...that your reps don't know what will sell or not. No matter how adamant they are.)
                      This is not only good advice, it's a strong reminder that your agent works for you, not the other way around.

Comment

No, you don't need a manager.

There are many people, at all levels, from just starting out to established A-lister who do not have managers. The movie business existed before managers existed. They are non-essential personnel.

The one kind of rep I would personally say everyone absolutely needs to have is an attorney. But you'll find getting work very difficult if you don't have an agent or manager as well.

Even if you can't be objective and your scripts do need further work, there's no guarantee that a manager who wants to sign you is actually capable of giving you the notes you need to get it where it has to be. It seems to me that most people end up signing with a manager because it's their only option. Which probably has a lot to do with the growth of management companies over the past few decades. Some people end up being happy with the relationship. Others don't.

But if anyone tells you that you need one, they don't know what they're talking about. It's really up to your own discretion and options.

Comment

Originally posted by juunit View Post
                          No, you don't need a manager.

There are many people, at all levels, from just starting out to established A-lister who do not have managers. The movie business existed before managers existed. They are non-essential personnel.

The one kind of rep I would personally say everyone absolutely needs to have is an attorney. But you'll find getting work very difficult if you don't have an agent or manager as well.

Even if you can't be objective and your scripts do need further work, there's no guarantee that a manager who wants to sign you is actually capable of giving you the notes you need to get it where it has to be. It seems to me that most people end up signing with a manager because it's their only option. Which probably has a lot to do with the growth of management companies over the past few decades. Some people end up being happy with the relationship. Others don't.

But if anyone tells you that you need one, they don't know what they're talking about. It's really up to your own discretion and options.
                          1000% depends on how connected you are.

Not trying to fluff up, just make a point: I'm severely connected. To the point that it's likely the most any writer could hope for. And yet, I still prefer to have a rep, because...

1. I don't have time to keep up with industry fuss.

2. I don't have access to the degree of fuss [info] an entire agency/firm does.

3. Being your own advocate is not nearly as good a strategy as other [legit folks] speaking on your behalf.

4. A team is better at strategizing than one dude.

5. I very well cannot pull the same favors an agency/firm can.

And a whole slew of other aspect which slip my mind [while rushing a response while packing my house to move].

If you're a writer at the level of getting incoming calls [for eveything worth writing], then, sure, maybe you can circumvent reps.

In principle, I agree, reps are an unecessary middle man. However, in practice, they're normally worth the price of admission.

*having said that. I'm trying to leverage a deal sans reps [lawyer only]. I may or may not be able to pull it off. On the other hand, I wouldn't know where to begin re: the staffing positions they're currently working on my behalf.

...Said by a writer who has worked (behind the scenes) selling other writers. Meaning, I was enough a part of the deal(s) that the commissions we're split 50/50 into my bank accnt and my partner to the tune of mid 6 figures each per year. A solid little run [going back to writing sucks. Lol]

Still... A rep is a solid move. And I'd recommend it as a first choice for most. Unless... you used to be an agent/manager and still wish to work that angle. Still, I'd maybe co-rep myself in that situation (meaning, ghost rep myself -- which is what I'm kinda doing now.)

Whatever works. Bottom line.
                          DOPE CITY

Comment

Originally posted by surftatboy View Post
                            1. Rep in regard to CAA? Yeah, they're an agency. No managers there.

2. Doubt I'd have the same reception as things have become far more 'bottom line' at CAA [all agencies] over the years. I remember when they still had x-mas parties and claimed a "CAA family". Those days are dead.

3. I didn't get to direct it, though they tried to help set it up [for me to direct]. We went to actors and financiers. I never directed it, like I mentioned; a buddy of mine had secured 12 mil for another writer/director around that time. Said he had someone for 1 mil for my film (I could have done it for less), but I was seriously interested. However, CAA was simultaneously pushing me to develop bigger/commercial sh*t. I got sucked into that and dropped the film after the talent they went to decided to do blockbuster type flick instead. From there I was in development hell for a year and a half. Meaning, I'd written nothing new, only developing potential pitches that never went anywhere due to people leaving companies and so forth. (Which is when I said "fvck this, I need to write something. Which I did. And sold it. Despite my agents telling me, initially, it wasn't viable.)

3a. You have to be your own agent regardless. YOU decide what you will write or not. Lesson learned (...that your reps don't know what will sell or not. No matter how adamant they are.)

4. I think it's entirely possible to direct your script. Especially if you secure your own financing. But don't expect your agent to be supportive. It's two years of your life. In fact, they'll probably drop you in the interim if you decide to go off and direct [an indie]. You have nearly zero chance of directing a studio film. Unless you're proven in some way. Otherwise zero chance...
                            You're saying he secured 12 mil for a writer who was becoming a first time director with his own script?

If that's so, I'm assuming it wasn't his first script, probably a more established guy, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitri001 View Post
                              You're saying he secured 12 mil for a writer who was becoming a first time director with his own script?

If that's so, I'm assuming it wasn't his first script, probably a more established guy, right?
                              To be clear: That was not an agent nor manager. Was a buddy of mine who is a screenwriter/director who dabbled in producing at the time. Kind of a jack-of-all-trades type'a dude.

I don't remember who the director was. I think he'd done a short. One of those shorts that's a [huge looking] proof of concept with flashy VFX like SUNDAYS.
                              DOPE CITY

Comment

Working...
                              X