No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BlacKKKlansman

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
    The sad part is there are more than a few people on here who not only have no problem with reading work from someone like him, but also don't think twice about sharing/promoting it. This is the America we live in now.
    Why are we still here? We can't we talk about a film and enjoy it without somebody going out of their way to find bad reviews to fit their own clearly veiled agenda.

This happened for Get Out, Wonder Woman, Last Jedi etc. We can't talk about any films like that without some bitter nobody peddling their racist and sexist views as "film criticism". I've had enough. This isn't the place it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
      Why are we still here? We can't we talk about a film and enjoy it without somebody going out of their way to find bad reviews to fit their own clearly veiled agenda.

This happened for Get Out, Wonder Woman, Last Jedi etc. We can't talk about any films like that without some bitter nobody peddling their racist and sexist views as "film criticism". I've had enough. This isn't the place it used to be.
      It's interesting. I see the changing tone as a microcosm of America at large. The more progress minorities and women make in society, the more people who are bitter at that fact will complain about it.

Movies are a reflection of society, so as a result of societal change we are seeing more minorities and women in lead roles. And the more of that there is, the more those same bitter people will complain and describe it as "an agenda," when it is nothing more than a mirror of changing times. And when there are certain "news" stations and websites going out of their way to reinforce that belief, the situation gets even worse.

That said, while I find it sad that certain people on here subscribe to that mentality, sharing reviews from a white supremacist (or at least someone who shares many similar views) is something I never thought I'd see here. Much like in larger society, it reflects a lowering of the level of shame when it comes to making arguments. DDPers should be better than that.
      "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
        It's interesting. I see the changing tone as a microcosm of America at large. The more progress minorities and women make in society, the more people who are bitter at that fact will complain about it.

Movies are a reflection of society, so as a result of societal change we are seeing more minorities and women in lead roles. And the more of that there is, the more those same bitter people will complain and describe it as "an agenda," when it is nothing more than a mirror of changing times. And when there are certain "news" stations and websites going out of their way to reinforce that belief, the situation gets even worse.

That said, while I find it sad that certain people on here subscribe to that mentality, sharing reviews from a white supremacist (or at least someone who shares many similar views) is something I never thought I'd see here. Much like in larger society, it reflects a lowering of the level of shame when it comes to making arguments. DDPers should be better than that.
        Man, I couldn't agree more. I just wasted five minutes reading half that "review" -- it was so much worse than I imagined. I can safely say I never thought I'd run into peddling of such BS at DDP. I guess there's really no place immune to it in today's America.

I also notice that the poster hasn't answered whether he's actually, y'know, seen the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by DLev24 View Post
          Man, I couldn't agree more. I just wasted five minutes reading half that "review" -- it was so much worse than I imagined. I can safely say I never thought I'd run into peddling of such BS at DDP. I guess there's really no place immune to it in today's America.

I also notice that the poster hasn't answered whether he's actually, y'know, seen the movie.
          Of course he hasn't. Go through Karsten's posts to realise he's a lifelong amateur contrarian.

Comment

Originally posted by DLev24 View Post
            Absolutely. The people who make the loudest arguments are often the ones who've done the least research. It tends to limit their credibility.

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
              LOL. Sure. What am I prejudiced against? Uniformity?
              No, as I said, your prejudice is - in making your fallacious ad hominem argument - against all of the 'top approved critics' on Rotten Tomatoes.

(The words 'top approved critics' are how Rotten Tomatoes refers to the subset of its 'approved critics' that Steve Sailer called "professional film critics".)

All I can say is, if {inhales} "the top approved critics" {exhales} in any field were comparably unanimous in their adulation over something, then I would say that those approved critics either suffered from a glaring lack of viewpoint diversity in their circle, or were motivated at least in part by other concerns besides aesthetic ones (e.g., the fear of being accused of "prejudice and/or bigotry"), or both.
              That, again, shows your false reasoning.

But that's just me.
              You may be correct about that.
              Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
              "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Re: BlacKKKLansman

Originally posted by StoryWriter View Post
                But... but... but, didn't we recently establish in the "Oceans" thread that two-thirds of the Rotten Tomatoes "top approved critics" suffered from "a lack of reasoning, and prejudice and/or bigotry"?

I seem to remember the conclusion (of some) was that since two-thirds of these top approved critics were men, they couldn't possibly write a worthwhile or unbiased review about a movie starring women. And that they were "in fact" bigots.

I'm glad they redeemed themselves.
                No, that thread was primarily about gender bias, which is not the same as false reasoning, or prejudice, or bigotry.

Do you have evidence of correlation or causation between gender bias and critics' approval of BlacKkKlansman?
                Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
                "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Not a fair comparison. This movie is overtly political. I imagine almost all of the positive reviews addressed its political message. People are just objecting to the opposing view point.

Everyone is free to ignore and not engage in these arguments but it's dishonest to label anyone you disagree with as a bigot or white nationalist.

Comment

Originally posted by ScreenRider View Post
                    Not a fair comparison. This movie is overtly political. I imagine almost all of the positive reviews addressed its political message. People are just objecting to the opposing view point.

Everyone is free to ignore and not engage in these arguments but it's dishonest to label anyone you disagree with as a bigot or white nationalist.
                    I looked up Steve Sailer and the websites he writes for after UpandComing brought it up. Turns out Steve is pretty racist! So what is your point?

Is condemning the Klu Klux Klan a strong political statement? I thought we agreed as a species that the KKK are the worst.

Comment

I mean. The movie is "overtly political- in condemning racism and white nationalism in the form of the KKK. Its "political message- could be boiled down to exposing how horrific and ridiculous the KKK's views are. I guess you could also throw in the depiction of racist police officers in the 1960s. Which anyone who is being honest can agree is real.

I'm genuinely curious what you see as the valid opposing viewpoint to "racism is bad.- Because the poster who linked to the "review- made no mention of anything related to the actual filmmaking, so it was certainly not a disagreement about the quality of the movie.

Comment

You know what's funny? I haven't even addressed the content of Sailer's review. The only thing I've addressed is his background. And the fact is he is a regular contributor to a white supremacist website and regularly espouses white supremacist views. Knowing that, I don't take anything he says seriously because I know it is coming from a place of hate.

If you are willing to disregard the influence that his background has on his views, then it implies very strongly that you may share those types of views yourself. And if you share similar types of views to those of a white supremacist/KKK/Nazi, you have no place in civilized society. You should stick to sites like Breitbart and Stormfront where you belong.

The people who fought and shed blood and died in WWII knew who the enemy was. People like you have either lost sight of who the enemy is or you agree with their views and are trying to normalize them. Decent people do not have to sit back and accept this attempt at normalization. America is not going backwards.

Comment

I looked up Steve Sailer and the websites he writes for after UpandComing brought it up. Turns out Steve is pretty racist! So what is your point?

Is condemning the Klu Klux Klan a strong political statement? I thought we agreed as a species that the KKK are the worst.
                          Sailer writes about IQ differences between the races. It might be controversial but it's a point of view argued with data and not a call to violence or some white nationalists agenda. In fact the Bell Curve types believe East Asians have a higher IQ than whites, so by your definition he would be racist against white people.

The film doesn't just condemn the KKK. It makes a controversial political statement by conflating the KKK with its current political enemies. The same way that you are conflating anyone who deviates from your dogma with racists who commit violence.

Comment

It isn't a dogma, it's basic human morality.

Comment

The film doesn't just condemn the KKK. It makes a controversial political statement by conflating the KKK with its current political enemies. The same way that you are conflating anyone who deviates from your dogma with racists who commit violence.
                              In case you missed it:

*Donald Trump was the first presidential candidate to be endorsed by the KKK.
                              *Donald Trump refused to condemn the KKK during his campaign before being pressured into doing it.
                              *Donald Trump refused to condemn the Nazis and KKK members marching in the streets at Charlottesville before being pressured into doing so. He then walked it back not long afterwards.

There is very little effort needed for conflation.

Comment

This thread devolved into "very fine people on both sides- territory in a meager three pages.

Comment

Working...
                                X