This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LA Neighborhoods

Who cares about affordable, I can't afford it here. So, question again, what's
    a nice clean beachy area to live near LA. Clean, not weird. Santa Cruz is
    weird, not doing that again. No Venice for me.

Charli

Comment

Santa Monica kicks Malibu's ass.
      "I dub thee: Sir Non Sequitur." - sc111

Comment

I had a friend who stayed in a studio apartment in Malibu -- part of a rich couple's house. In exchange for helping take care of the cats (!) and a little housework, she got a very reasonable rate. I believe she found this deal on a public (not computer) bulletin board somewhere.

There's all kinds of possibilities.

Comment

This is insane. It isn't the crime rate but the quality of the stores??? The sick part about that is he's right. Crappy neighborhood = crappy supermarket and a crappy neighborhood supermarket is a quality of life issue.

Okay, if I were moving to NYC, I sure as hell wouldn't pick the Bronx as the area to live in. Yeah, crime happens everywhere, but it happens in some areas more often than others. Not all of NYC is unsafe, but chances are sh*t will happen more often on the Lower East Side (Alphabet City) than the Upper East Side.

I would think anyone moving to LA to get their writing off the gorund should also consider the return address on the envelopes they send. Maybe I'm a snob, but Compton is not the message I want to send to people who are very much into status. The people responding to a script know where Compton is and they know where Malibu is and they know the difference between them.

LA is style over substance. It always has been, and that is a part of the game that can't be ignored. I know there are many who will disagree, but in the 5 years I lived out there (I wasn't a wannabe writer then) I played that game.

Comment

The city of Compton is too far south and west, much closer to Long Beach than it is to most of the studios. Industry people wouldn't want to live there for that reason alone.

There are industry people who live in the High Desert (Palmdale), or the Inland
            Empire (Riverside) and make long treks in to work every day. Some writers do this too, driving in or taking the train when they have meetings. It would probably limit networking opportunities, though. Housing is cheaper in these way out locales, but it isn't really cheap anywhere in the LA area.

If you're a TV writer, the fartherst north you're likely to work is Santa Clarita, where JAG and CSI were based. CSI may still shoot up there. The farthest south you're likely to work is the Raleigh Studios in Manhattan Beach. Boston Public and the Practice used to shoot here. The OC and CSI Miami still do, maybe Boston Legal, too.

You can draw a crooked line, north by northeast, connecting the major studios, starting with Sony in Culver City, going north to Fox in West LA on Pico, moving east to Warner Hollywood and Paramount, going north through the pass to Universal, then east again to Warner and Disney. Most of the important stuff happens within five miles, on either side, of this crooked line.

Living in this area can probably help your career, assuming that you can meet the right people and fit in with the right crowd. Having real talent and doing good work matters more.
            If you really like it you can have the rights
            It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Okay, if I were moving to NYC, I sure as hell wouldn't pick the Bronx
              A good friend of mine lives in the Bronx. The nice bit. He swears by it. I've been there twice. It looked pretty respectable.

Then again, my friend was brought up in Belfast. Everything's relative
              Blog: http://writinglounge.blogspot.com
              Email: kidcharlemagne108[at]yahoo[dot]co[uk]

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless

Comment

L.A. is an interesting diverse city that should be visited a number of times before even considering a move there. Look for a recent post by Tao in "Screenwriting" on the realities of the current industry for writers. Enjoying writing is critical, but only a part of the recipe.

There is absolutely no valid reason whatsoever for a mom with unevaluated writing skills to even try to convince anyone they know best for themselves and think moving is the way to shortcut success routes in screenwriting. There is virtually no chance of success statistically, and I am not one of those "ra ra" people who tell people with families to follow your dream and move to such a place. First you need reality assessments. You will be so utterly buried in the level of competition and hopelessness of the industry before you have built a reputation, it may level a tremendous cost to you and your family, and I don't mean just financially. A few years of hard ass work and quality feedback, then, who knows?

If you want the "great adventure" then by all means knock yourself out. If you want good advice, then listen to those who know and develop your writing for a few years until there are credible industry contacts saying you would benefit with a move to L.A. More and more you can make very deep industry contacts via the web and networking on an occasional trip into town. It's about the work, not the commode location. Once your work is getting attention, you will be capable of making intelligent decisions on how accessible you need to be to L.A., which your manager and agent will be able to counsel you on far better than yourself.

Best of luck in considering your situation

FC

Comment

I'm not in Los Angeles, so I hesitated to respond, but I thought it might be helpful to share an observation that surprised me during a recent trip down there that included visiting several areas. If you have allergies, you might consider going out ahead of time to explore or moving to a temporary place and spending some time in a neighborhood before you buy. I don't know what it was, but different neighborhoods triggered my allergies more than others, and not even Claritin could stop them. L.A. has a lot of beautiful and interesting-looking plants (including some really cool twisty trees), but not all of them may be friendly to you.

Another thing I noticed is how dry my skin got, but that's to be expected, I suppose.

Comment

No matter how many threads you read about the industry, or people tell you what the story is out in L.A., you don't really "get it" until you live there. Even after just a few months, the picture of what the real deal is about the biz, and L.A., becomes clearer. That can be good, or it can be bad. Depends on the person.

Landis

Comment

Jesus man, LA is just a town...move here if it feels right to you. 95% of the entertainment people in LA or those pursuing gigs are non-natives. It's like any other place on earth...plenty of opportunity for the motivated individual. If it ends up bumming you out, move away.
                      Most of my friends are writers or musicians, some working in the biz, many not, but everyone's pursuing their art or craft at some level. The point is, move here if you're compelled to. The reality is, that unless you're freakishly talented and persistent and lucky, making a buck in entertainment in Los Angeles is rough.

But so what? It's rough everywhere. Every job worth pursuing is hard.

As far as quality of life, I live in LA and have a small daughter. She goes to a great public school, has tons of friends...everyone's happy. Many of the parents are writers, mini-producers, execs, whatever...but also teachers, caterers, pizza shop owners, bankers, trust fund geeks...

Eventually you figure out they're all just people. Even the ones that appear to have "made it" aren't any happier than you are.

Eventually you figure out this town isn't the big, evil suck hole it's made out to be.

It's just a place. So come on out.

...just make damn sure you can tell a story.

Comment

i would move out there in an instant. Anyone want a brit passport? Maybe you are a peace activist and want the FCO fannying about after your last hoorah? If so, PM me.
                        The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

First, advice was asked for, advice was given. I don't care what your opinion of what my advice is to the lady. Of course it is her business to do what she wants to, and no one has inferred otherwise.

Take the amount of money it takes to find safe housing for a family, feed and clothe them, get them in safe schools, pay for transportation, not to mention a solid job that actually will pay enough to accomplish even half that...in Los Angeles.

I know many people who have done what she is doing that had multiple college degrees that failed in less than a year because they had no solid plan for their success for future. Every one of those people would echo my advice here.

Comment

i didnt want to make a new thread for this, but can anyone tell me how far Santa Monica is from the USC area (during rush hour too)? Any info on that would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

USC to Santa Monica? At rush hour? DEATH FIRST.

kullervo

Comment

that bad huh? im starting school at USC but dont want to live there, so I just wanted to know if there was any hope of living in Santa monica

Comment

Working...
                                X