Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manager showing my first screenplay this week

I'm a comic book artist with two graphic novels in various stages in the film development process. One with Mosaic Media and one being shown round. Eight months ago the manager suggested I write a screenplay -- which I did -- and he went out with it this week to a half dozen contacts.
    Since I both write and draw my books he suggested some artwork for the screenplay. So my screenplay PDF has 8 concept pieces of art imbedded into the actual pages. I was hesitant because I've read numerous times to never include artwork in a script but manager insisted saying his contacts would love it. I think he's right -- it does look pretty sharp. I've never seen a script like it anywhere.
    The script is a big tentpole, big budget, franchise concept at manager's request since that's what's selling.
    I would expect to hear something on Monday the 10th or that week.
    Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: Manager showing my first screenplay this week

In this situation, I think it's a fine idea to buck the "rules" and send out a script with artwork.

Those "rules" mostly exist for submitting to agents and managers anyway. That's when you want to look as professional as possible. But now, you're in a vague territory where your work is almost like pitching.

In any case, GOOD LUCK!

Comment

This sounds really interesting. Let us know how you make out and good luck, Raff!

Comment

How to you feel about the screenplay?

Comment

Originally posted by Farnsworth View Post
          How to you feel about the screenplay?
          I feel great about it. The structure is really good. 115 pages (without the artwork) First 10 pages are really exciting. Second act starts on page 28, third act starts on page 80. Good arc for the main protagonist. Lots of action. Lots of tender moments between hero and his wife. Great ending.
          When manager sent it around to his partner and inner circle -- we got back minimal notes -- which was weird but manager very much pumped.

Comment

Sounds great - best of luck to you!!

Comment

Another interesting bit is that the screenplay started with a logline which manager liked a lot. Title he didn't like but we found a better one eventually. Still the title we have now isn't super killer -- but oh well. It's tough finding a title that isn't taken by something else.
              We then went to 25 page treatment that got refined a lot. Then I wrote the screenplay and found that I didn't have enough material. The screenplay was only about 100 pages -- too short. Eventually I found the problem -- my ending wasn't spectacular enough. That's why the story was only 100 pages so far. Adding on a more spectacular ending pushed it to 115 pages.
              Several polishes later I couldn't find anything more to do to it. Good enough to send out manager agreed.
              The whole process took 7 months.
              Alfred Hitchcock once said "Now that the movie has been written we can add in the dialogue." Couldn't agree more. That was my process too.

Comment

kick ass buddy - good luck to you!

Comment

So you have two graphic novels yet you had trouble with material for the screenplay. How did that happen? Did you sort of adapt your way out of the material in the graphic novels, or was the plot a bit thin in the novels themselves?

So these graphic novels are not yet published?

This all sounds very interesting. I'm just drilling you for more info.

Comment

Originally posted by Farnsworth View Post
                    So you have two graphic novels yet you had trouble with material for the screenplay. How did that happen? Did you sort of adapt your way out of the material in the graphic novels, or was the plot a bit thin in the novels themselves?

So these graphic novels are not yet published?

This all sounds very interesting. I'm just drilling you for more info.
                    Devoid of Life (science-fiction/horror) was published by Image Comics last year.
                    Manifestations (supernatural thriller) is being shown around in LA in graphic novel form but doesn't have a publisher yet. A few parties are being talked to for paper publishing though.

I wouldn't call it trouble. It was my first screenplay. Minor blip.

Comment

Originally posted by Raff View Post
                      Devoid of Life (science-fiction/horror) was published by Image Comics last year.
                      Manifestations (supernatural thriller) is being shown around in LA in graphic novel form but doesn't have a publisher yet. A few parties are being talked to for paper publishing though.

I wouldn't call it trouble. It was my first screenplay. Minor blip.
                      Hey Raff, just saw some images from Devoid of Life. Nice work!
                      TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

It's hard to gauge a page from a graphic novel and how it translates to movie length. I know a screenplay page should equal one minute of screentime but a graphic novel page is different.
                        Both GN's are in the 120 page area though.

Comment

Originally posted by hscope View Post
                          Hey Raff, just saw some images from Devoid of Life. Nice work!
                          Thank you, sir.

Comment

Hey, if it worked for the MATRIX, why not?

I think you're totally fine here, since you're a published GN artist (at least that's the impression I get).

Have you considered writing this as a GN? Studios love source material.
                            Ever thus to deadbeats.

Comment

Originally posted by NoTalentAssClown View Post
                              Hey, if it worked for the MATRIX, why not?

I think you're totally fine here, since you're a published GN artist (at least that's the impression I get).

Have you considered writing this as a GN? Studios love source material.

Yes, in fact it will be a graphic novel. The screenplay includes the comic cover as well as the concept art which are scenes from the graphic novel.

Comment

Working...
                              X