Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fargo

All right ... Am I the only one who thought that Fargo was unsatisfactory this year? Lots of spoilers ahead, if you care.

Notice that I did not say "crappy" or anything really derogatory. I thought that the characters, for the most part, were interesting and even fascinating. But things never developed for some of them. The female cop (the former chief), who could have been the protagonist, became almost peripheral.

And Ray, the scoundrelly ne'er-do-well who started out as a parole officer, and also had protagonist potential, gets killed along about midway in the story. The Hispanic female cop, who was also an interesting character, never seemed to develop fully as a character in the story, either.

And how about that first episode, in East Germany? Was it even related to any later characters and events? I watched the episode a couple of times with the intention of remembering the faces of the characters. But many years went by before the next episode, which picked up in the usual Fargo locale, and I could never make any connection of the East Germany stuff with the later episodes. Did I miss something?

And in the last episode, when an assassin kills Ray's brother five years after the primary events are over, I thought that the assassin was the deaf accomplice of Ray's dead girl friend Nikki. But I was not sure. I simply could not recognize him - and maybe that was just my fault. I looked up the series on the internet and learned that I was right. The assassin was Nikki's accomplice. But, jeez, so many uncertainties and undeveloped threads. What the heck?

I read in the internet article that the series is going into hiatus for, I think, three years. That probably means that it will never return.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Re: Fargo

Yeah, the assassin was the deaf accomplice. Don't know why he waited 5 years though. My wife and I are/were big fans of the series. We did not like this season either. At times it was mildly interesting but scenes and dialogue took too long. It is my belief they stretched 5 episodes into 8. I have this same complaint with Netflix Marvel shows really paced for 8 episodes but stretched for 13.

I thought Nikki was kind of interesting and unusual when in the beginning she kept causing an issue in Ray's planning. She seemed impulsive and amusing. Suddenly she shifted to being able to easily handle a cadre of globally connected mob types. But yeah, I found it to be weak all the way around.

Comment

Thanks for replying, purplenurple.

I was beginning to think that I was the only person who watched the series.

The plot lines remained undeveloped or had gaping holes. I think that the writers threw together some episodes that had the same characters, with little regard to development of characters and plot. The deaf accomplice must have been a computer whiz of some kind, or they knew somebody who was, because all of a sudden Nikki had the goods on the bad guys.

Just ridiculous.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

I am watching but I have like 4 episodes left. I'll weigh in properly when I'm done but for now it's pretty 'meh'. Though I have really been enjoying David Thewlis.

Comment

Thanks for joining in, ConnorNoden.

----------

On Twitter @RolandRayStroud

Comment

Amazing cast but the weakest season thus far. To be fair though, Season 2 was a tough act to follow.
            NOTES / COVERAGE
            15,000+ Screenplays
            [email protected]

Comment

Working...
            X