X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Script Shadow Shafts "slaughter"

I don't know what to say.

There is no doubt that the writer did not want to be reviewed. Of course he should have said "no", but from what I read, anyone who believes that there was grey area also believes OJ was innocent.

I think people are trolling. That's why message boards become exhausting because people want to extend conversations as opposed to being real.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
      Hi, Michael. While I agree with most of what you've been saying in the numerous Scriptshadow threads, I have some questions about the post I've quoted.

How does this apply--if at all--to writers who aren't working on spec? If they're doing work for hire, do they own copyright of their work at some point before they turn it in, or the work belongs all along to the producer/studio/whoever paying them to write it?

So, legally, can they grant or deny permission to distribute the screenplay?

Thanks.
      http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ09.pdf

I'm not Michael - but thought the above link might help shed light on your questions.

The answer to your last question is likely NO, unless you have a contract saying otherwise.

Comment

Yeah, I think "legally" Eads didn't need to get these particular writers' permissions because they probably don't own the script.

HOWEVER

It doesn't matter. Eads called himself a writer at one time, and writers don't do that to other writers. Maybe producers do so maybe Eads is just doing some OJT, and thinks this is the route to go.

Given the machinations that Eads used--ignoring one writer's definitive reluctance for a review, and then keeping the review up well past reason just 'cause he could--I'd say that he's a weasel.

And, yes, I would say that to his face. I don't write anything I wouldn't personally say to someone.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
          Yeah, I think "legally" Eads didn't need to get these particular writers' permissions because they probably don't own the script.
          Legally, he needs the studios' permission. I can guarantee he's not requesting that before posting.

Comment

Even if the script legally belongs to the studio the writers are being named. That gives them more than enough grounds to show harm.

Comment

Originally posted by HomerS3 View Post
              Legally, he needs the studios' permission. I can guarantee he's not requesting that before posting.
              Well, yeah, that's understood.

Even if he had the producers' permission (do they own it, or does the studio?), it doesn't matter 'cause, as mentioned before by better than me, it hurts the writers.

HH

Comment

Well...what more can be said?

I've gone from loving Scriptshadow, to liking it, to being on the fence, to despising it... I'm seriously bummed/surprised Carson turned out to be such a douchebag. Guess you never get to know someone's true character until they're given a certain amount of power/responsibility.

What's that quote? With dreams come responsibility.. something like that.

Comment

And if I've got the right title, looks like authorship is Treman Falls Productions, LLC, employer for hire, with the rights belonging to Sandra Gordon, Top Bunk Entertainment (though this looks like it's for a treatment only).

There's an earlier registration from 2007 that has Nathan and Bobby listed as the authors, with all rights held by Slaughter, LLC.

HH

ETA: I'm not in any way shape or form trying to imply or otherwise say that what Eads did was right. 'Cause it's not. I was just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by RobWriter View Post
                    http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ09.pdf

I'm not Michael - but thought the above link might help shed light on your questions.

The answer to your last question is likely NO, unless you have a contract saying otherwise.
                    OMG, I totally thought your post was from michaelb! Sorry about that, hehe, and thanks for the link.

Just to be clear, I didn't meant to justify Carson's attitude or question the writers'. I'm just thinking that it's the studios and prodcos who own the material Carson is distributing and reviewing publicly, and so far they haven't done much about it. Considering what happened with the Mediafire Beast, my guess is the studios don't really care much about some guy's blog. Again, I think Carson's reviews have little consequence, which should be a relief for everyone here.

That's not to say they aren't questionable and that someone who can't spell, let alone write, should show more respect for writers and their work.

Comment

OMG, I totally thought your post was from michaelb! Sorry about that, hehe, and thanks for the link.

Just to be clear, I didn't meant to justify Carson's attitude or question the the writers'. I'm just thinking that it's the studios and prodcos who own the material Carson is distributing and reviewing publicly, and so far they haven't done much about it. Considering what happened with the Mediafire Beast, my guess is the studios don't really care much about some guy's blog. Again, I think Carson's reviews have little consequence, which should be a relief for everyone here.

That's not to say they aren't questionable and that someone who can't spell, let alone write, should show more respect for writers and their work.
                      No problem - I'll take being confused for michaelb any day.

By not taking any active steps to stop Carson/SS, studios, writers, prodcos - anyone who holds the copyright in the reviewed/distributed scripts - are essentially building one of Carson's main defenses in the event there ever is a lawsuit.

And there's the rub - who really wants to step up and waste money suing him - the financial incentive just isn't there. When one of his reviews actually does harm a deal or is done despite a C&D letter from a major player, then I would expect a lawsuit happen.

Comment

Originally posted by RobWriter View Post
                        No problem - I'll take being confused for michaelb any day.

By not taking any active steps to stop Carson/SS, studios, writers, prodcos - anyone who holds the copyright in the reviewed/distributed scripts - are essentially building one of Carson's main defenses in the event there ever is a lawsuit.

And there's the rub - who really wants to step up and waste money suing him - the financial incentive just isn't there. When one of his reviews actually does harm a deal or is done despite a C&D letter from a major player, then I would expect a lawsuit happen.
                        I posted something (not directed at you) but I am really, really, really trying to maintain my DD New Year's resolution to either be helpful, or be quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
                          I posted something (not directed at you) but I am really, really, really trying to maintain my DD New Year's resolution to either be helpful, or be quiet.
                          I just LOVE this resolution.
                          sigpic

Website
                          Tweets
                          Book

Comment

I saw it. It was helpful.

Comment

Heh, but that's no fun!
                              http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

... Carson is distributing and reviewing publicly, and so far they haven't done much about it. Considering what happened with the Mediafire Beast, my guess is the studios don't really care much about some guy's blog...
                                Carson is more of a moving target. I wouldn't assume they don't care. I personally think they're likely building a tight case against an unknown quantity, who has already exhibited no-holds barred behavior, so they're exercising intelligent caution. It's only a matter of time.
                                Last edited by asjah8; 01-08-2013, 09:49 PM.
                                life happens
                                despite a few cracked pots-
                                and random sunlight

Comment

Working...
                                X