Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken Atchity. "The Story Merchant"

I've seen old posts about this guy, but anyone have any recent dealings?

I'm not getting a great vibe.

Thanks for any info you have and enjoy the long weekend.

Re: Ken Atchity. "The Story Merchant"

The old posts tell you all you need to know. Don't pursue this. This business is hard enough when people are on the up and up... this is asking for trouble.

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=59365

If it walks like a duck...

Comment

Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post
      I've seen old posts about this guy, but anyone have any recent dealings?

I'm not getting a great vibe.

Thanks for any info you have and enjoy the long weekend.
      Listen to your vibe. Seriously.

Comment

Does anyone know what happened to Mike Kuciak?

He worked at Atchity's company for awhile, and then left to start his own lit management company. He got some movies set up, but I haven't seen much from him lately. Is he still working?

Comment

My experience with his was catastrophic... he has no juice, and seeks credit for 0 effort.

I lost out on my first studio producer credit because of him-- BEWARE!!!
          "The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely." ~Jung

Comment

Originally posted by markerstone View Post
            My experience with his was catastrophic... he has no juice, and seeks credit for 0 effort.

I lost out on my first studio producer credit because of him-- BEWARE!!!

Oh geez. I'm so sorry that happened to you.

The guy is providing me "notes" on a project without being asked for said "notes."

Stupidly, I queried him on a project. He started reading, then responded that he was "loving it" and wanted me to call him. I emailed twice to nail down a time. He didn't respond. Finally, I just called the schmuck. When I brought up the fact that he ignored my emails, he said, "we're swamped here."

Ooooookay. Then he proceeded to tell me that my execution "needs work" and he'd be providing me with notes. I don't want his friggin' notes!

I know what comes next: A request for money, no doubt. I'm wondering if I should just email this guy and tell him to forget he ever saw my script.

What was I thinking??

Comment

I just emailed him with a "thanks, but no thanks." And bcc'd my attorney for good measure.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Comment

Ahh, the response: (I also told him I didn't appreciate getting the "bum's rush" on the phone.)

What's going on is that we were on a 4-day holiday here and the notes to you were going out today. We've produced 30+ films to date. How many have you produced? I will trash your notes and script as instructed, having wasted our time putting them together for a person with the depths of anger you're displaying here. Good luck with your life, and lighten up!

Comment

Margo - Thank you for posting all those details of your experience. It's really helpful for the rest of us also trying to break into the business, and part of what makes this site such a valuable resource.

It certainly seems like Ken needs you far more than you, or any of us, need Ken.
                  Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
                  "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post
                    I just emailed him with a "thanks, but no thanks." And bcc'd my attorney for good measure.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.
                    was he charging you for the notes? if not, what did you have to lose from accepting them in the spirit they were intended? even if you assume that guys like Ken are on the bottom of the food chain (maybe he is), they can still have a valid reaction to reading a script and tell you what was working for them and what wasn't. and you can choose to accept or disregard some, all, or none of those reactions.

it feels like you went to Defcon 1 when a Piper Cub accidentally flew into protected airspace

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                      was he charging you for the notes? if not, what did you have to lose from accepting them in the spirit they were intended? even if you assume that guys like Ken are on the bottom of the food chain (maybe he is), they can still have a valid reaction to reading a script and tell you what was working for them and what wasn't. and you can choose to accept or disregard some, all, or none of those reactions.

it feels like you went to Defcon 1 when a Piper Cub accidentally flew into protected airspace
                      This is terrible advice.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!!

You do not deal with scam artists as you will be scammed.

Comment

That's a good question, Joe. But that said, I didn't get a good feeling by the way he spoke to me and also, being on this site for a reason, I have to seriously consider what others have said.

Also -- when someone tells you to call them, and you try to nail down a time, how long does it take to send back a quick response? (i.e., "Noon, Tuesday.) But that's a whole different thread.

I will say that I responded that I wasn't trying to be contrary. I just didn't understand his process. If the notes were sans fee, I'd be happy to review. But I told him that I wasn't interested in paying for coverage.

Didn't hear back. Of course, I really didn't expect to.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
                          This is terrible advice.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!!

You do not deal with scam artists as you will be scammed.
                          Agreed. If he sends you those notes and you (even independently of his notes) make any changes he happened to suggest, flash forward to Mr. Achity coming out of nowhere claiming some sort of credit if the movie ever does get made.
                          https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
                          http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Originally posted by ProfessorChomp View Post
                            Agreed. If he sends you those notes and you (even independently of his notes) make any changes he happened to suggest, flash forward to Mr. Achity coming out of nowhere claiming some sort of credit if the movie ever does get made.

My blood ran cold reading this. ;-)

Thanks, PC.

Comment

Also, he's like 72. If you're 72 and pedaling scammish stuff like that...probably not a good sign...

Comment

Working...
                              X