No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When you query ...

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
    Actually, no it doesn't. It may list some, but it's incomplete and often outdated. FWIW.
    Yup. And is it just me, or is Studio System not much better these days? I really don't get how they think they can justify that price tag.

Comment

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post
      Yup. And is it just me, or is Studio System not much better these days? I really don't get how they think they can justify that price tag.
      As a former employee, I can assure you it was never really that great.

That said, it was always better than IMDB Pro.

Comment

I got a "very interested" read request from a producer who has worked on many of the biggest films in my genre.

So, to keep me in check, how often do read requests turn into no replies or rejections. It must be like 98% of the time, right?

So far, I think I've only sent 3 or 4 queries.

Comment

100%. Now you have no pressure. Congrats on the request. Assume it's always a no. I mean they only read the logline correct?

How long is the script now?

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
            100%.
            Okay, great. I will abandon all hope.

It's 139. I will probably do a soft future revision on it. But I wanted to go out with it now and see how it fares. I figure everyone's gonna have notes, and I can tailor it to a specific person or people if interest arises, rather than constantly tinkering.

Comment

Keep that sh1t under 110, Sorkin.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Merrick View Post

It's 139. I will probably do a soft future revision on it. But I wanted to go out with it now and see how it fares. I figure everyone's gonna have notes, and I can tailor it to a specific person or people if interest arises, rather than constantly tinkering.
                  I don't know what genre/type of script this is, but 139 is going to be tough to get traction on. Even if a prodco or creative exec or manager liked the script itself, they would still have to justify that length to their own people. That's hard to do with an unsold writer. You're talking about 29 pages over the industry's acceptable page count of 110 (or less).

Something to keep in mind, is that people look for reasons to say no -- 139 gives them one.

Best of luck with whatever you decide, though.

(Just to give an example. I got a read request from a prodco last night -- on the release I signed I had to list the title, logline, and page count. There's a reason they do that -- because there's never a time in this process where page count won't come into play. It indicates budget, shooting time, audience demographic...)

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
                    I don't know what genre/type of script this is, but 139 is going to be tough to get traction on. Even if a prodco or creative exec or manager liked the script itself, they would still have to justify that length to their own people. That's hard to do with an unsold writer. You're talking about 29 pages over the industry's acceptable page count of 110 (or less).

Something to keep in mind, is that people look for reasons to say no -- 139 gives them one.

Best of luck with whatever you decide, though.

(Just to give an example. I got a read request from a prodco last night -- on the release I signed I had to list the title, logline, and page count. There's a reason they do that -- because there's never a time in this process where page count won't come into play. It indicates budget, shooting time, audience demographic...)
                    This.

One of the first things a reader will do is see how many pages are in the PDF. If they see 139, chances are they're not reading. Especially if they check the next one and see that it's 103. They're passing and moving on.

Do yourself a big favor and cut it down. Chop out scenes, get rid of unnecessary dialogue, cut down your action lines to 1-2 sentences. Do everything you can to give yourself a chance.

Comment

You guys missed it a few weeks back, we got him to cut it DOWN to 139. But yes, I agree. We all agree. Merrick real name is Maverick!

Comment

Thank you. Yes. I know, I know. My final draft essentially started at 240 pages and with several rounds of editing, I got it down to 139.

At least I didn't start querying with the longer versions. A few industry people have read it now, and a couple didn't mention length. A couple mentioned that it could be slimmed down slightly.

I had to a choose a point at which to query, otherwise I'd be tinkering forever. I went out with it to a few now and waiting to see if I hear anything.

I'm writing for myself here, but I'm open to notes of knowledgeable people who understand it (and most do). If I get negative reactions, I can retool before sending again.

For now, I need to go out with this one. It for sure will get some retooling before it's produced. I already have some notes from trusted sources to work into it. But I didn't think they were fatal before starting to send out.

Comment

240 pages????????

Comment

It's a long story (figuratively speaking), and it was covered at length in another topic on this board. I wrote it in a general word processing program, left-justified without script formatting. And once I transferred it into a screenwriting program, you can imagine, it was hellishly long. So, I took a few weeks to hack it down.

It's fine - I haven't gotten any comments of: "you dumb ****! this is insanely long!"

Worst I've gotten so far is: "this could be a tiny bit shorter."

Comment

Merrick has heard all of this ad nauseam now. It's been discussed almost endlessly in other threads.

I know he appreciates the advice & comments, but he's a grown man. He's clearly been made very aware of various things including the length of his script. But he's simply looking to move forward and start his querying.

Let's let him do that; then he can report back in the coming weeks & months and let us all know how it played out.
                              Will
                              Done Deal Pro
                              www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Merrick View Post
                                It's a long story (figuratively speaking), and it was covered at length in another topic on this board. I wrote it in a general word processing program, left-justified without script formatting. And once I transferred it into a screenwriting program, you can imagine, it was hellishly long. So, I took a few weeks to hack it down.

It's fine - I haven't gotten any comments of: "you dumb ****! this is insanely long!"

Worst I've gotten so far is: "this could be a tiny bit shorter."
                                I believe I have told you it's way too long. And in my opinion it is. I think plenty of people have stated it's too long without having read any pages, and they're right, imo.

IMHO, this needs to be well under 120 pages. You can easily get it down below that. I do think you can.

No one is going to call you a dumb ****. No one here wants to see you fail, but I think it's clear that you have it in your mind that it's done despite the advice.

And that's fine. It's your screenplay. You get to make those choices.

But another important thing is that you should not be sending this out until it's perfect. You should not be thinking you'll get notes back from producers. That's not how it works. Maybe I misread your statement, but that's what it sounds like you expect.

At least it's not the way it works here in the US. If it's too long and too overwritten and has too many characters, they will pass even if there are good moments and some good dialogue. They will not offer you notes to correct anything.

Even when my spec went to Sony TV and the Exec had his entire staff read my feature to potentially adapt it into a TV show, they did not offer notes. The said that it was good writing, a good concept but, in the end, it was too close to another project.

They don't give you notes. You may never even know why they passed other than, "it's not for me," that's why it has to be literally your very best effort. It needs to be perfect.

It's great to hear that industry people have had positive reactions. I hope they move forward.

Really wishing you the very best, Merrick.
                                FA4
                                Last edited by finalact4; 10-10-2019, 01:57 PM.
                                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
                                X