Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If an executive leaves....

So, long long story here, but I am in the middle of a pitch with a production company on board, and a more senior/ writer/ producer with previous credits and a show under their belt... Anyway my question is, what happens if the point executive/ producer leaves the company. Does the project go with them, or stay with the production company? Or is it ever split? I need to chew this over with my manager but thought you might all have some insight before I have that conversation so I have an idea of what to expect.
    thanks!

Re: If an executive leaves....

Have they actually bought the pitch yet? Is there an attachment agreement with the exec? If they bought it, then chances are it's staying there unless the exec negotiated for it. If he is attached to the project by name and was bringing it in, chances are it can stay with him. If it's neither, then you're still free to shop the project to whomever and wherever you want.

Of course every situation is different. Are company A and company B at the same studio?
    Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Originally posted by LRic54 View Post
      So, long long story here, but I am in the middle of a pitch with a production company on board, and a more senior/ writer/ producer with previous credits and a show under their belt... Anyway my question is, what happens if the point executive/ producer leaves the company. Does the project go with them, or stay with the production company? Or is it ever split? I need to chew this over with my manager but thought you might all have some insight before I have that conversation so I have an idea of what to expect.
      thanks!
      If it's an executive employed by the company, it would most likely stay with the company, anything an exec develops or works on at a company is the company's.

Comment

If this is a studio, all projects stay with the studio. If it is a production company, depends on the executive's contract and whether he/she are invested enough to continue with the project.

Comment

This actually happened to a client of mine. The executive left, and the project remained with the production company. The head of the production company didn't like the project, but at the same time was being very difficult in giving us the go ahead to move this project out. Since there is no paperwork, if they really wanted to hold us back, they could say they are still attached because they gave us ideas and worked on the script with us.
          --------------------------
          http://www.screenwritingcompass.com
          Anonymous rep guiding screenwriters.

Comment

Working...
          X