Best SciFi Screenplay at Austin 2009. Worth a look.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best SciFi Screenplay at Austin 2009. Worth a look.

Austin film festival awards the Best SciFi "The Sensitivity Program" by John Harden and Skot Christopherson. Check out John's webpage. http://www.bwtc-movie.com/tsp.html. Beyond interesting, this one will be optioned and sold soon...MARK MY WORLD...exceptional premise. My kind of script animal. Excellent concept!

Congrats guys. f

From their web page:

"The screenplay for THE SENSITIVITY PROGRAM revives the women-in-prison genre with a wild twist. You want some adjectives? How about "smart?" Or, "funny?" Or, "sexy and action-packed?"

Holy crap, I sure do wish I could tell you the premise! I will say that when my writing partner Skot Christopherson and I pitched this to a film-festival panel of industry types, their eyes lit up like a row of compact fluorescents. First comment: "What's your phone number?"

If you're an industry type whose eyes have been looking droopy and clouded, maybe you need to read THE SENSITIVITY PROGRAM. Drop me a line. Serious enquiries only, please. "

Re: Best SciFi Screenplay at Austin 2009. Worth a look.

Couldn't happen to a pair of nicer guys!

Comment

this sounds like a superfun script!

Skot has a blog, here, go visit.

http://hangalanternonit.blogspot.com/

from his blog:
      Good GOD, I had better post something!

Yeah, I'm back from Austin, with many, many stories to tell and pictures to show. I'll start unspooling them as soon as the crushing amount of work I blew off in order to go to Austin eases up a bit. And my epic hangover dies down.

It was an amazing weekend.

Oh hell, I'll give you one right now as a preview. In the Driskill Hotel, the heart of the Screenwriter's convention, I was taking a tiny elevator to an out-of-the-way meeting room for a seminar on agents with Gayla ("no, I am not reading scripts") Nethercott. There were three of us in there, then it stopped, and then there were eight of us, shoulder-to-shoulder, all badged attendees. Everyone was dead quiet, as often happens in elevators.

I had little reason to be quiet. 24 hours previous, The screenplay I co-wrote won it's category, beating about 675 others. I was in a darn good mood. So I counted everyone and dropped down to my best Don LaFontaine: "Eight screenwriters-- riding a tiny elevator... heading to a room nobody has ever heard of..."

Big laughs. Some guy looked up at me and said, perhaps seriously, "Hey, I'm going to use that idea!"

I replied "You only have a movie if it ends... in... the... same... elevator!"

I get the feeling that somewhere out there (alright, probably in LA) seven laptops are blazin' away right now.

Comment

Nice trophy!
        "I talked to a couple of yes men at Metro. To me they said no."

http://wagstaffnet.blogspot.com/

Comment

As co-writer of the second or third best science fiction screenplay at Austin, let me just add that when Skot was kind enough to let me hold his trophy after the awards ceremony, I wanted to run away with it. Those things are really cool. I recommend winning one if you ever get the chance.

Seriously, though, Skot and John are super nice guys, and they deserve any success they get from this.

Comment

This has to be one of the most exciting, absolutely weird things that has ever happened to me. John too.

Here's a bit of trivia: John and I submitted "The Sensitivity Program" to the Austin Film Festival after we finished what we considered the final draft. That festival is the ONLY competition we submitted it into.

And here's another bit of trivia, one that our fellow finalists and semi-finalists couldn't quite believe: The submitted MS was 138 pages long. At a finalist panel in Austin no less than Shane Black and Lawrence Kasdan told me that was way too long. But it won. Can't explain.

Anyway, the real reason I wanted to post here is to thank all of you for your kind words. I got a huge kick out of meeting, hanging out with, and drinking free Dos Equis with other writers in Austin, and I look forward to what this forum has to offer (I just got here!)

--Skot Christopherson

Comment

Where's the link?
              "People spend so much time focusing on rescuing the princess, they forget how much fun it is to fight the dragon."
              - Simon Pegg & Nick Frost, DAVE

Comment

Originally posted by loopdesign View Post
                Where's the link?

er... link to what?

--Skot the noob

p.s. can one post images here? I have a nice one of carcar with her hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Skotc View Post
                  er... link to what?

--Skot the noob

p.s. can one post images here? I have a nice one of carcar with her hardware.

The title of the post is Best SciFi Screenplay at Austin 2009. Worth a look. So I was expecting a link to the screenplay mentioned, ie. a means to "look" at the screenplay, per the wording in the post. Otherwise, a more accurate title might be something like, "Hey, my buddies won the Sci-Fi category at Austin with their script, The Sensitivity Program." Do you see how that works? The subject references the content contained within the post.
                  Last edited by loopdesign; 11-03-2009, 10:50 AM.
                  "People spend so much time focusing on rescuing the princess, they forget how much fun it is to fight the dragon."

Comment

Congrats, Game.
                    http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by loopdesign View Post
                      The title of the post is Best SciFi Screenplay at Austin 2009. Worth a look. So I was expecting a link to the screenplay mentioned, ie. a means to "look" at the screenplay, per the wording in the post. Otherwise, a more accurate title might be something like, "Hey, my buddies won the Sci-Fi category at Austin with their script, The Sensitivity Program." Do you see how that works? The subject references the content contained within the post.
                      Um... I didn't start the thread: I was told about it. I can see why that would seem a bit confusing.

I actually joined DoneDeal so I could read & reply. Which is why this is all a wonderful (if slightly baffling) surprise. So when you think about it, thank god it wasn't posted, because it would have been done without our knowledge.

Posting the MS... I'll have to consult my partner John. Co-written, All decisions have to be straight is down the line, you know how it goes. Oh, and I have to figure out how to post things here too.

--Skot

Comment

Um... I didn't start the thread: I was told about it. I can see why that would seem a bit confusing.

I actually joined DoneDeal so I could read & reply. Which is why this is all a wonderful (if slightly baffling) surprise. So when you think about it, thank god it wasn't posted, because it would have been done without our knowledge.

Posting the MS... I'll have to consult my partner John. Co-written, All decisions have to be straight is down the line, you know how it goes. Oh, and I have to figure out how to post things here too.

--Skot
                        Ah, didn't realize you were the writer. Congrats on the win.

Comment

--Skot
                          Congrats. (From one of the 90% who didn't make it past the first round.)

You can't really post a script here. I think some people, me included, expected it to be posted on the website based on the first post.

If you're getting some heat, it's probably best not just to put it out there. Let the industry people who are interested feel like they're getting a semi-exclusive sneak peek.

Comment

Welcome, Skot!

Comment

Hey, thanks. Happy to be here.

So yeah, we're taking some good advice and are going to pass on linking the script for the time being. And I get the feeling the people we're talking to about it would like it if the MS wasn't too widely distributed beforehand. I hope y'all understand.

--Skot

Comment

Working...
                              X