Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O, Austin, Where Art Thou?

Is this the week to hear from Austin? Just curious.

Re: O, Austin, Where Art Thou?

Next week.

I feel your pain.

Comment

They said letters would go out after Labor Day.

I'm waiting, too.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

I'm also waiting. I didn't submit a script this year, but I did submit my latest short movie.
        Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

I'll see that and raise you. I entered a screenplay and a trailer for the trailer competition.

Comment

I sent a change of address note to Dawn, who runs the screenwriting program. She replied and said (writing) letters would go out next week. I received that e-mail yesterday, Monday 8/28.
            Reaction time is a factor, so please pay attention.

Comment

Ah, so they don't make the congratulatory phone calls over Labor Day weekend anymore?

Comment

I'm waiting for that letter, and I'm already wearing my face.

I will feel good if my teleplay entry just didn't get cut down in the first wave of casualties.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

I had the impression that the results being sent out this week are the final results.

Comment

Here's how it went in 2004, when I was last privy to the whole process:

At this point, they had whittled it down to the semi-finalist level. So first there were two sets of letters sent out more-or-less simultaneously: for those who didn't advance at all, and those who advanced to the second round but went no further. Semi-finalists got calls in the same week or so that the letters went out, but that was it for a while -- the finalists had not yet been decided. Then a few weeks later, finalists got calls. And then the actual winners were announced at the festival.

The place where sanity is lost is that time when a lot of the letters have arrived, and those who haven't received one are trying to figure out if it means they're about to get a call, or if their mail is just slow. And, of course, some letters always get lost along the way, which is just ... mean.
                    The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter -- it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. - Mark Twain

Comment

So any envelope we receive from Austin this week will contain nothing but the broken pieces of our dreams, is that what we're saying?

Comment

Hey now...the envelope might tell you that you advanced to the Second Round which is akin to the Nicholl Quarterfinals. If that's the case, then you're all good. AND, if you advance to the 2nd Round, you get a nice discount off the badge price...and people ooh and ahh over you at the festival. Not panelists. The panelists probably won't ooh and ahh, but other writers will.

Comment

I got my ding letter today -- but I'm in San Antonio so they probably get out faster to here.

If you read every third letter in the text they include a secret message. Mine said: "We held your submission back because exposing its glory to the world would crush the spirits of all artists for the rest of time."
                          Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

Last year I got the ding letter and a call:

"Hey, congratulations on making it to the second round. By the way, wanna take advantage of our special festival discount for writers as excellent as yourself?"

Thanks, but I'm still holding out hope for that $500 travel reimbursement this year.

Comment

Um... not to be harsh, but "second rounder" at Austin is hardly equivalent to the Nicholl quarterfinals. That's not fair to the Nicholl quarterfinalists. Practically everyone who writes a coherent script makes the "second round" at Austin. I'm sorry for saying it -- I love Austin and have gone to the semifinalist party before, and had a great time -- but the "second round" is bogus. It's a coupon to get people to come to the festival. Too many people make that cut for it to be worth anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X