Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not in it for the money?

That a bad thing to tell a potential manager or agent?

Re: Not in it for the money?

Yes. Don't do it. You want to make a good first impression, not a bad one. You may not be in it for the money, but they are.
    http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

I can't lie to them. Writing for me is more therapeutic than "Hey, read my screenplay cuz I wanna make millions". This year alone, I've done a few free-writes for one reason - To have something to do. Can they take higher commissions than 10%? I wouldn't mind cutting off 40, or maybe 50.

Comment

Originally posted by Bense18 View Post
        I can't lie to them. Writing for me is more therapeutic than "Hey, read my screenplay cuz I wanna make millions". This year alone, I've done a few free-writes for one reason - To have something to do. Can they take higher commissions than 10%? I wouldn't mind cutting off 40, or maybe 50.
        So why are you approaching agents or managers at all? Just sit in your room and toil away, if that's the reason you're doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeb View Post
          So why are you approaching agents or managers at all? Just sit in your room and toil away, if that's the reason you're doing it.
          I don't go out of my way to approach anyone anymore. They want to meet me because they've liked my writing.

Comment

Let's not be overly righteous here.

If you have some passion projects fueling you, that's fine, and it's fine to let a prospective manager or agent know that money isn't the reason you write.

But you'll take it won't ya.

Probably also fine to let them know that second part, too.
            "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

I don't go out of my way to approach anyone anymore. They want to meet me because they've liked my writing.
              So how'd they see your writing in the first place, if you never approach anyone and don't give a **** if you get paid?

Writers who don't want to be compensated... You must be a studio plant, sent to convince writers they really shouldn't want *ANYTHING* for their work. Rates? Quotas? Poppycock.

Seriously, if you can't see how ridiculous the whole concept is, I feel sorry for ya.

I'm out...

Comment

Originally posted by mikeb View Post
                So how'd they see your writing in the first place, if you never approach anyone and don't give a **** if you get paid?
                I notice that a producer wants an action script, so I send them an action script. They like it and refer me to a colleague who's a manager. I am definitely not a studio plant. I'm just a guy who doesn't really care about making money doing this writing thing. money ain't a thang

Comment

That a bad thing to tell a potential manager or agent?
                  Of course. Don't talk about money at all, until they are asking you if you will take an offer that is on the table.

If you are a great writer who turns out marketable material, no one will give a sh!t why you do it, they will just be happy they can commission your stuff after they sell it. Why do you think anyone out there would care why you write?

Comment

I find it hard to believe one would have requests
                    for rewrites without trying and not want any money
                    for it. If true, not good for market. Market
                    being us.
                    " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ Scribe View Post
                      I find it hard to believe one would have requests
                      for rewrites without trying and not want any money
                      for it. If true, not good for market. Market
                      being us.
                      Then grab your pitchforks and torches and storm against thee. I don't understand the business and can't be bothered to learn about it. I learned to write a screenplay. That should be enough. If I get offered $1 or $100,000 for a script, it's all good to me. A can of coke out the machine is still 65 cents.

Comment

I'm in it for the money -- totally. I don't have my mind set on an enormous house and an eight figure bank account, but I would love to be able to quit my day job and write movies for a living.
                        QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

If you're not in it for the money, when you make a sale, can I have your $$$$$?

Comment

Originally posted by doubler83 View Post
                            If you're not in it for the money, when you make a sale, can I have your $$$$$?
                            Yeah man, sure. Only if we can go out for drinks, hit up a dodger's game, and make sand castles on the Santa Monica beach.

Comment

Then grab your pitchforks and torches and storm against thee. I don't understand the business and can't be bothered to learn about it. I learned to write a screenplay. That should be enough. If I get offered $1 or $100,000 for a script, it's all good to me. A can of coke out the machine is still 65 cents.
                              So you're cool if you have a can of coke and 35 cents left over for selling a script after writing and rewriting it for six months?

And living in Venice?

...Trust fund?

Comment

Working...
                              X