Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best book you've read in the last year

Absolutely no idea where to put this one. We need a "cafe" on done deal, where people can just discuss anything. I'm putting it here because of the "writer" link. And the people that write books are... writers?

Anyway, I'm always looking for a great book. Was wondering what some favorites are here of done deal members.

I'm currently reading a great book called "The Wind Up Bird Chronicle" by Haruki Murakami. His writing style is so unique. And he can make the tiniest mystery feel like life and death. I love it so far.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067...pf_rd_i=507846

Best book I read before that was the great Empire Falls. A beautifully written and tremendous story that builds and builds until a powerful ending. Incidentally, I almost stopped reading after 80 pages because I felt like nothing was happening. I'm glad I didn't.
    Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

Re: Best book you've read in the last year

Nice idea Wilsoneads. You are the second person in less than a week to recommend "The Wind Up Bird Chronicle."

Just finished two that are worth mentioning : Kazuo Ishiguro's "never let me go" (haven't read the script yet), which was hauntingly strange, compelling and poignant. I am on to "remains of the day."
    The other is a novella - Ian McEwan's "on chesil beach"...he has such great and evocative style. A moving reflection on regret.

I look forward to this thread.

Comment

Oh really? What was the pretense under which "The Wind Up Bird Chronicle" was brought up?

I totally stumbled upon the book by chance. And it was sitting in my house for five months before I gave it a shot (the three books I had read before it were terrible - so I wasn't keen on starting a new one).

Oh, another book I recommend is The Brief History Of The Dead. More sci-fi and I won't reveal the premise. But definitely one of the more inventive and original books I've read in awhile.
      Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

Comment

I recently finished up Catcher in the Rye for the 4th time.

Comment

Dean Koontz's "Odd Thomas," the kickoff to this quirky, funny character in an ongoing series. Love the humorous "voice" of Odd and can see someone doing a great witty voicover film adaptation, maybe a combo of the 4 books so far
          "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

The Wind Up Bird Chronicle is Murakami's best book, though I've enjoyed nearly all of his others. If you're looking for something equally as challenging, and, in fact, a story of young people trying to be writers, read the late, great Roberto Bolaño's The Savage Detectives, for me (who reads maybe 45-50 books each year) one of last year's premier titles.

Comment

Originally posted by wilsoneads View Post
              We need a "cafe" on done deal, where people can just discuss anything.
              We've had this section/forum for years. It's called "One on One."
              Will
              Done Deal Pro
              www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Couple of novels stood out for me:

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

The Last Witchfinder by James Morrow

Both beautifully written and very enjoyable.
                TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
                  We've had this section/forum for years. It's called "One on One."
                  ZING!

currently reading:

http://www.ronsuskind.com/thewayoftheworld/
                  Last edited by theblondewritr; 09-18-2008, 04:25 PM.
                  si

Comment

i remember when one-on-one was a skin bar.

skinny lattes will never be the same.

...Autumn of The Patriarch (preemptively, b/c i'm only a couple of sentences in and have another dozen or so to go yet).
                    The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

The boss beat me to the punch.

One-on-One is the forum for discussion.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Invitation to Valhalla...the novelized true story of a top female German spy who takes on the identity of a Jewish girl to romance and steal secrets from a Jewish scientist in America.

The author's first book. Amazing research.

Film rights already sold. Damn.

Comment

This year would have to be, Box Office Poison, a 500 page opus graphic novel by Alex Robinson. It's such a great character driven book about a group of friends coming of age in New York. Fabulous atmosphere and dialogue. Check it out. The other GC I read that knocked me out was a contemporary classic called, The Black Hole, a dark novel about a plague in Northern California. It was like watching a Troma film on LSD, good stuff.

Comment

The Road by Cormac McCarthy with Hollywood (by Charles Bukowski) a close second.
                            Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

I second The Road. Blew me away.

If I can go back two years, We Need to Talk about Kevin.
                              sigpic

Website
                              Tweets
                              Book

Comment

Working...
                              X