What do I do now that an actor likes my script...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I do now that an actor likes my script...

[Note: I'm asking this under my sister's account]

I just finished my first feature-length screenplay.
    Because I don't have representation, I sent a query to my "dream" actor for the lead part, a "B-level" (as far as celebrity) British actor whom I greatly respect.
    His agent wrote back and asked for the screenplay, which I sent immediately.
    Three days later, the agent has again contacted me, saying "they" want to know "more." (About me and the project).

Now what??? I don't want to seem an amateur (and I am VERY aware that this agency also represents a director who would be PERFECT for this screenplay, as it is her genre exactly.)

Do I reply with the truth (new writer, no connections, wanted to attach my dream cast first?)...Do I use this "nibble" to hook an agent here in L.A.? ("I have an interested party in England at the blahblah agency, will you represent me?")... I want to be professional in my approach, and as honest as possible, but I've also been told there are a certain amount of "smoke and mirrors" needed in the beginning to get things rolling (??)...

Please help...

Thank you in advance...
    www.thesparksfly.com

Re: What do I do now that an actor likes my script...

It's a great question. I'd go with, "What they don't know can't hurt *you*." Don't reveal any information you don't have to ("I'm brand new at this" for example). Just say you're not represented at the moment (not uncommon) and that you're looking for ways to get this project off the ground. Keep it simple. Some people love when they discover a script this virgin cause they know they don't have to jump through any hoops or worry about who else has it.
    Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

Comment

No offense but you are an amatuer... not that there is anything wrong with that. Actors are always on the look out for material and if this actor and director can move the project forward let them. There is no reason why you can't tell the truth. If they like the script then they like the script. Whether you've sold something before or not really doesn't matter. You took the initiative to track this guy down... what did you think might happen? It's all good. Let them roll with it.

Comment

I represented myself truthfully (i.e., a screenwriter who'd just completed a script with this actor in mind - all true), but I wonder if they think I am offering more (i.e., that I already have the ball rolling...).

I wrote back following the advice on this board, keeping things brief, but simply restating that I am a screenwriter eager to get this project off the ground, and am first submitting it to my dream cast...

I suppose the other option for selling a screenplay is to approach production companies? (Or agents?) Is approaching actors a more circuitous/less popular route?
        www.thesparksfly.com

Comment

"I wonder if they think I am offering more (i.e., that I already have the ball rolling...)."
          ---------------------------------------
          That's precisely why they asked to know more about the project. It's a very common first info request, and a self-protective one when you contact an actor (via his/her agent or directly). They want to know what elements -- financing, other actors, director, etc. -- if any, are attached or are now considering the script or project.

They'd have no way of knowing any of those things from your submission alone or from what you've told them about yourself so far. It's ultimately a way of them knowing the full scope of their potential place in the project beyond the acting alone; who they might be working with; and for the agent -- what other clients of his might or might not be brought in (thus more potential commissions).

Ernie

Comment

Working...
          X