Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Foremost Films

So what genres does Jeff like? I've seen Harbringer's spec on the tracking boards (out of respect for him, I won't mention what it is here), but is this the only genre he's interested in?

Comment

His interests seem to run the gamut as far as genre goes, but he does gravitate towards higher concept stories. I don't think he's going to be too interested in reading a character driven drama, but there aren't too many agents/managers who are.

Comment

Originally posted by snwrist View Post
        His interests seem to run the gamut as far as genre goes, but he does gravitate towards higher concept stories. I don't think he's going to be too interested in reading a character driven drama, but there aren't too many agents/managers who are.
        Ah, so he does comedy? Just wanted to know what he was drawn to because he complimented my query, but passed. I'll query him when I have something else in the future, though. He was very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by CColoredClown View Post
          Ah, so he does comedy? Just wanted to know what he was drawn to because he complimented my query, but passed. I'll query him when I have something else in the future, though. He was very nice.
          Best of luck, mate. Hope the new one is coming along?

Any rep who is as open and receptive to queries as Jeff seems to be is worth remembering. I hope to send him something myself when I finish.
          @MacBullitt

Comment

There's probably not much doubt that Jeff is a good manager. I wonder what his average response time for queries and reads are, though?

Comment

Originally posted by The Gunshark View Post
              There's probably not much doubt that Jeff is a good manager. I wonder what his average response time for queries and reads are, though?
              Ludicrous Speed! .... cue SPACEBALLS quotes.

But he's a very quick reader. A very quick editor. A very quick note giver. He's actually so much faster than me at editing down my own scripts or white spacing stuff.

As to other questions (including the NY based and manager vs agent stuff) Snwrist, and then Mr.Earbrass, summed it up better than I ever could (being afflicted with the verbose brush as I am).

As to ColoredClown not mentioning the script title, no problem there. Go for it! I'm so bad at self-promotion if someone does it for me I'm all for that!

In terms of what Jeff likes, like any manager, he likes stuff that could sell or that he could develop to sell. No different to anyone else, EXCEPT that's he's a great guy who looks out for the writer, responds to the queries sent him and does everything in a very classy and respectful manner! What more could you ask for!

Comment

Has he recently sold anything?

Comment

Originally posted by dwightman View Post
                  Has he recently sold anything?
                  My honest answer is I dunno. I'm not registered with any of the tracking websites and he never discusses other client's projects (as you would expect).

I know he's got a number of things set-up around town. Projects in packaging stages or assignments his clients have got through setting up meetings and calls with prodco execs (in that way he does act like an agent as well).

But no specifics.

Comment

A DOD at a mid-level production company told us he's has a good reputation and is respected in the industry.

Comment

GREENWOOD: Relative to what the earlier responder to you said, A PASS IS A PASS. Sometimes it can mean a particular rep just isn't currently interested in that genre (probably because of percevied market potential or lack thereof -- like drama at the moment), but in essence, it means that the manager or agent does not even see enough commercial potential in your work to even TRY to develop it with you. Period. End of story. No exceptions.
                      That's because everybody in town is A) always looking for, praying for, begging for, a great script they can sell for big bucks -- even if that means working on it with you for two years as Adam Kolbrenner at Madhouse did with Aaron Guzikowski on "Prisoners," (and there are plenty of other examples), and B) too much of their time is wasted (even if only adminsitering their readers and assistants) with the worthless, truly awful scripts that flood the system every day.
                      That is the dilemma we all face. It's the work that fails, not the potential rep. A good script attracts managers, agents and producers better than L.A. honey attracts credit card abuse.
                      Last edited by jtwg50; 07-28-2010, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenwood View Post
                        I stand by what I said, even moreso. And I'm amazed you allowed the entire point of my posts to go over your head. SImply put, as writers, we have to not only consider our own talents/connections, but also that of any potential reps.

I could care less about the "essence" of the pass, but when it starts to become clear and evident (from MANY other writers, some of whom have PM'ed me with similar experiences) that a certain rep does not fit the title in which they claim -- We should, I should, and I WILL point it out. Which, I thought, was the purpose of a DISCUSSION BOARD.

You can speculate, and talk sh!t all day with the "maybe he didn't wanna tell you that you suck" crap -- bottom line is just because someone OFFERS A SERVICE (writers and reps included) doesn't mean they're experts at it.

There's a talent aspect involved with every profession. Too often writers think that anybody that's ever worked anywhere in hollywood has the industry and craft down to a sweet science. If that were the case then 80% of studio films wouldn't flop.

And I respect Harbinger's urge to defend his rep, as would I. And I hope (and pretty sure) that Jeff is doing a great job for him and his project -- therein lies my whole point -- is he just great at getting scripts into studios that meet a certain alleged "can't miss" description -- or does he fit the definitive model of a manager that not only gets specs on desks to sell, but also for assignments and supports the writer's career and specific style.

Seems pretty simple to me. If you still don't understand it -- get taller.

was one of the script you sent him the same from the 2006 story below?

Originally posted by Greenwood View Post
                        Hey, guys. This is probably my third incarnation here. I've posted in the past as Greenwood, ldc3000, etc. But now I'm back to share my current experience with the scriptshark site.

I've been considering this route for a while, but recently I decided to give a serious look. I did some forum searches on here to get a feel for what other experiences have been with them (and similar sites) and I decided "what the hell" nothing to lose but 150 bucks. And besides, I would get coverage from someone who at least knows more about "good screenwriting" than I do.

Well, last tuesday, I officially ordered the coverage service. Uploaded my baby as an attachment and shot it to them per request. They make it clear that it usually takes 2 to 3 weeks (business weeks) to finish the coverage and/or get back to you. Only about 5% of the slew of scripts they get receive a "consider" or better, so my main intentions was to get some sort of "professional" opinion on my work.

But then I get a call from a lady named LEE...

...On Friday.

Yep, less than three days from submitting. I'm in another time zone, so I didn't get the call till around midnight (8 or 9 o'clock L.A. time). I was out on a date and didn't answer, so she left a message.
                        She basically said "hey, just calling about your script... look forward to speaking with you on Monday."

So I spent the whole weekend mulling over what she wanted to "talk" about. Did the final draft pdf attachment not work properly? (very plausible considering my computer is retarded) Did the credit card payment get rejected? (just as plausible, 'cause my bill paying skills are just as retarded.)

WHAT COULD IT BE???!!!

So... I return the phone call first thing Monday morning (actually it was morning in L.A., but noon here) ... no answer. Just her voicemail. Called a few more times. Still -- voicemail. So I say "fvck it" and head off to the grocery store.

She finally calls me back while I'm at a gas station. She explains immediately how "great your script is" and "we rarely receive material of this caliber." Mind you, I'm 'bout to **** my drawers. She goes on about how things "work" at scriptshark and how she was eager to "send it out to major contacts" to help promote me and my work.

Long story short (I know, too late for that) they loved my script and the ball is rolling. I also made a contact with a guy that used to work at Outlaw Productions (Training Day, Sex Lies&Videotape, etc.) and he recommended my script to them -- I mention this 'cause I was able to ALSO send the glowing coverage I received from SS.

As for the coverage itself - it was like, well, heaven. The readers synopsis of my script was dead on. Most of the descriptions he used were my own words straight from the pages. The logline wasn't very good (remember, they don't get loglines from you at first, they're pretty much reading your story with no preconceived notions of what it's about) but for the most part it was stellar.

The overall "opinion" beneath the synopsis said, and I quote, "This script might be one of the best-written scripts this reader has seen through ScriptShark.com."

Wow. After six years of writing, marketing, re-writing, marketing, queries, etc, etc, it felt good to hear someone that reads scripts for a living tell you something like that. That alone gave me a return on my investment.

I mention this entire experience not to gloat (hell, I still haven't paid for a meal or a bill with script-money, so I have nothing to gloat about.) but to give my positive experience with a system that has had mixed reviews on this site. I feel sorry for those that have had negative experiences with them or others like them, but I'm impressed so far.

Nothing's in stone yet, and this could all implode overtime, but so far, I'm totally satisfied with my $150 investment. And it could be the best $150 I've ever spent in my life.

I'll keep you all posted as best I can.

GW
                        what happened with the above script?

Comment

Originally posted by trujosh View Post
                          was one of the script you sent him the same from the 2006 story below?

what happened with the above script?
                          Nope. Came across Jeff due to a placement in the Nicholl in '07 with a different script. I don't even remember if he liked the nicholl script I submitted or if I ever submitted. Pretty sure I did.

I went on a very unproductive "hiatus" from writing if you will from '07 to '09 where I did minimal writing and even less networking which was mostly due to a rocky relationship and a demanding job promotion.

But I went digging in my old email account for old "open door" contacts after getting my writing groove back earlier this year and Jeff was one of the contacts I dug up.

The Baseline/scriptshark experience kicked open numerous doors for me that I still use to this day. You can't put a price on having producers/agents/managers, etc that WILL ALWAYS welcome your submissions as long as they're remotely up their alley -- and Jeff is in that category and I'm appreciative of that.

Also the script that got the great coverage with SS (which is different from the Nicholl script that attracted Jeff) was an Urban/drama and I shouldn't have to explain on here the "marketability" of that genre lately, or EVER. It's still a solid writing sample though.

thx for asking.
                          "U don' know me, muddafugga..."
                          - Al Pacino, Carlito's Way

Comment

Originally posted by Storytell View Post
                            A DOD at a mid-level production company told us he's has a good reputation and is respected in the industry.
                            That's a solid endorsement right there.
                            @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by jtwg50 View Post
                              GREENWOOD: Relative to what the earlier responder to you said, A PASS IS A PASS. Sometimes it can mean a particular rep just isn't currently interested in that genre (probably because of percevied market potential or lack thereof -- like drama at the moment), but in essence, it means that the manager or agent does not even see enough commercial potential in your work to even TRY to develop it with you. Period. End of story. No exceptions.
                              That's because everybody in town is A) always looking for, praying for, begging for, a great script they can sell for big bucks -- even if that means working on it with you for two years as Adam Kolbrenner at Madhouse did with Aaron Guzikowski on "Prisoners," (and there are plenty of other examples), and B) too much of their time is wasted (even if only adminsitering their readers and assistants) with the worthless, truly awful scripts that flood the system every day.
                              That is the dilemma we all face. It's the work that fails, not the potential rep. A good script attracts managers, agents and producers better than L.A. honey attracts credit card abuse.
                              That's understood, jt. My point is that there's this idea amongst aspiring writers (meaning anyone who hasn't sold yet or had paid assignments) -- that all reps/producers/industry types are created equal.

And that is ridiculous. They come in all shapes, sizes, styles, and talent levels. JUST LIKE WRITERS. DESPITE what companies they've worked for or what they've set-up around town.

I've been doing this too long to really care either way what comes of my submissions after they're submitted. Got over that within my first six months of writing and marketing. But my main point is that writers must remember to judge whether the rep/producer or whatever is the right fit and talent level for THEM. Not just the other way around.

There are plenty of repped writers on here that have had multiple reps -- due to the fact that they realized that rep wasn't right for them. I've turned down rep offers based on the same thing.

I know how it is, by nature aspiring scribes become bottom feeders that are anxious and appreciative of ANY attention they get from someone "above" them on the hollywood totem pole -- but that view from the bottom can be deceiving.

Said it once, twice, and a quite a few times to the man himself -- Jeff's seems like a great guy. Has a gang of material on studio desks right now, and I'd like nothing more than to see the day when Harbinger or any other Jeff clients posts a thread or comment on here announcing their sale/assignment -- but it's just not healthy for a writer to assume that he's the only one that should be evaluated. These reps have strengths/weaknesses just as they have likes/dislikes.

We've all heard the stories of specs being passed on and eventually sold and/or produced and many of them turned out to be great and even profitable movies.

Sure there were rewrites, but there were also numerous passes and flat out rejections from producers/agents/managers that just flat out didn't know how to handle that particular script in the market.

I like to use sports analogies so I'll use this past super bowl. Drew Brees outshined Peyton Manning in the Super bowl and beat'em. Brees was passed on by almost every team in the draft he was drafted in. Too short, arm not strong enough, etc, etc. Whereas Peyton has a NFL pedigree and absolute IDEAL physical attributes for a NFL QB.

The Saints' General Manager flat out didn't *need* his quarterback to be a PROTOTYPE to win a super bowl. In fact his highest profile player has been pretty much a dissappointment (reggie bush) and his best receiver went to a small school and was one of the last players drafted in his draft.

But he made it work. I respect that. I'm sure the Colts GM has some chops too, but my point is that executives and industry types have to bring something to the table too. You know those NFL and other sports teams that seem to NEVER win anything? (like the CLippers, lol) a big part of that is because they're just sitting back waiting on a Kobe or Lebron to just fall into their lap instead of putting together a strong team.

But if anyone wants to continue thinking every industry insider "knows it all" and it's our jobs alone to "step it up" then fine. You say tomato, I say hold the onions.
                              "U don' know me, muddafugga..."
                              - Al Pacino, Carlito's Way

Comment

He is mainly looking for comedies right now something I am guessing lower budget. He wasn't interested in sci-fi or high concept films from his reply. Yes he is a gentleman and did respond to my emails.

Comment

Working...
                                X