No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Foremost Films

Originally posted by mpschunks View Post
    He is mainly looking for comedies right now something I am guessing lower budget. He wasn't interested in sci-fi or high concept films from his reply. Yes he is a gentleman and did respond to my emails.
    Definitely a quick responder. The first time I queried this year, he not only responded within a hour, it was like 1:00 am eastern.
    "U don' know me, muddafugga..."
    - Al Pacino, Carlito's Way

Comment

He responded on Sunday from his cell or tablet... But yeah, it seems I am finding most want some sort of comedy and low budget stuff.

Comment

The guy may be nice, but he has very little clout and I have heard from other managers that he's a bit of a bottom feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by nuvuefilms View Post
          The guy may be nice, but he has very little clout and I have heard from other managers that he's a bit of a bottom feeder.
          Oh boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenwood View Post
            Oh boy.
            Yikes!
            @MacBullitt

Comment

-
              Last edited by TheCleaner; 03-02-2011, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Nope. No four page response. Nuvue is entitled to voice his opinion (or these manager's opinion) However incorrect it is.

There's a wealth of difference between an ill-informed comment (like Nuvue's) and indirectly accussing a rep of theft which is why there's little reaction to the former and a whole lot to the latter.

I will however question just how much credence can be found in the bias of one manager's opinion of another. Did you expect this manager (who may have been selling themselves to you...I don't know the situation) to sell you all the plus-points of another manager?

That would be like a CAA agent giving a detailed account of why his client would be better off with WME.

In fact it sounds to me like a classic Hollywood line constructed as follows-

"What do I think of him? Well... He's...(insert hollow compliment designed to suggest a level of honesty but making sure not to eclipse the negative aspect in the second part), but I hear he... (insert negative aspect that eclipses any positivity implied in the first part).

So in practice-

HARB
                Heyyyyy.....Aren't you Michael Bay?

Bay just offers hand to shake.

HARB
                Thought that was you. Mannnn....
                I didn't vomit much blood watching
                Pearl Harbor (hollow compliment),
                but....
                (beat, checks watch)
                How long you got, Mike?

Ahem....anyway, seems to me any manager would be reluctant to big up the competition. Now come back to me when a producer says it to you. Cause of the 20-odd I've chatted to, he's viewed in great regard.

Comment

Does this manager mind your use of parentheticals?

I ask because in the screenwriting thread the advice was lose parentheticals.

I like them. I use them. I think I have to stop.

If he doesn't mind them, may I please have contact info? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by mariot View Post
                    Does this manager mind your use of parentheticals?

I ask because in the screenwriting thread the advice was lose parentheticals.

I like them. I use them. I think I have to stop.

If he doesn't mind them, may I please have contact info? Thanks.
                    Use them. GO NUTS!

First thing I've gleaned in my short foray into screenwriting.... the rules? It's all BS enforced by people who have never been in a position where they feel they can break them. One more chapter to sell How-to books!

How many times have you been told to capitalize only characters upon first introduction, sluglines and maybe sound effects......BS!

I've had two producers tell me to capitalize WHOLE SENTENCES to emphasize important points in action description and break up moments of long action description.

Parentheticals? I've got an average of one a page in both my scripts currently out there. Sometimes it's simply more economical than splitting up dialogue with another line of action. What's the point in writing-

MEL
                    And if you don't give me a B****** I'm
                    gonna burn this whole house down.

Waves a fist at his startled ex-wife.

MEL
                    With you in it.

You could argue white space, but parentheses can serve the same purpose. Besides looking at each page as a minute and close to each line as a second (which kind of works out with 50+) would it take 3 seconds/lines to wave a fist. It actually makes MORE SENSE with the Parentheses!

(Waves his fist) BAM! Move on to the good stuff.

I realize that this is, as per, a verbose answer. Short one, Don't stop using them, but try not to let them extend to a second line.

To answer your other question, Jeff couldn't give a hoot about Parentheticals. It's all about writing a good script.

If you need it, you'll find his contact details earlier in the thread

PS. Should point out that in my previous post (hollow compliment) was not meant as a parenthetical. Just me messing about.

Comment

• Re: Foremost Films

Thank you. Very happy to hear it.

Comment

Mel's adamant about that Blowjob. I have to admire his conviction.

"Because I deserve it..."
                        It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
                          Mel's adamant about that Blowjob. I have to admire his conviction.

"Because I deserve it..."

For some reason, I can't help but picture the guy in your avatar saying Mel's dialogue -- lol. Both hilarious and disgusting at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by nuvuefilms View Post
                            My manager has never heard of him.

Two things I've noticed from this thread.
                            1. People can easily determine a whole person's personality and worth ethic from simple email responses like, Not what I'm looking for. Sorry., or I'm swamped right now. try later. I don't think I could translate it into, He's a nice guy. Sounded very professional..

2. Sure a client will talk highly about a rep while THINGS ARE GOOD. Give it some time and when the email response time slips up a few days, the rep spends more time finding new clients, or doesn't return a phone call, the whole attitude will change. Happens all the time out here. A manager has a good relationship with a producer, always talks them up. The day it goes bad, all you hear are negative things. Etc. Etc.
                            If there are any questions, direct them to [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Hole Brad View Post

1. People can easily determine a whole person's personality and worth ethic from simple email responses like, Not what I'm looking for. Sorry., or I'm swamped right now. try later. I don't think I could translate it into, He's a nice guy. Sounded very professional..

2. Sure a client will talk highly about a rep while THINGS ARE GOOD. Give it some time and when the email response time slips up a few days, the rep spends more time finding new clients, or doesn't return a phone call, the whole attitude will change. Happens all the time out here. A manager has a good relationship with a producer, always talks them up. The day it goes bad, all you hear are negative things. Etc. Etc.
                              I understand what you're saying, and I can't say I totally disagree, but in Jeff's defense I have to point out that I've had a few phone conversations with him. Mostly a few years ago when we had phone meetings based on a Nicholl advancement. And when I reconnected with him this year, the emails were more than the "sorry, not for me" or "great send a pdf".

So I can honestly say he seems like a nice guy -- which actually isn't saying much. It's not like anyone is calling him the second coming of christ -- he just doesn't seem to have too much A-hole in his blood which is usually obvious in ANY correspondence and pretty rampant in this business.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Hole Brad View Post

Fair point on the first. Second is fairly redundant. You could effectively say that of anything or anyone.

-I love my laptop, till it crashes on me.
                                -Obama may seem great, until the faux-utopia crumbles and he starts hitting North Korea.
                                -Mel's a great actor, till he starts making violently racist phone calls.

And so on and so forth. Making a statement like a client will defend their manager until communication dies and the work dries up, is not entirely unlike saying-

You'll like him.... until you don't like him anymore.

Moreover (that a word?) you could say that of every manager and agent in Hollywood so it really means nothing. From the mid-way managers all the way to CAA agents. If the work dries up, you'll stop defending them.

Doesn't determine their worth though a statement like that. Just uses hypotheticals and supposition to suggest a client's standpoint on their manager is invalid on the assumption sooner or later thing's will turn sour. Condemning them for something they have yet to do.

"ARE YOU SARAH CONNOR!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X