Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little known films to share

I wanted to start a thread about some films that perhaps not too many have heard of or seen but would like to share with all here.

I have two: The Man from Earth (2007) and Predestination (2014)

The man from earth is a really interesting "conversation" film in a single location. It touches upon philosophical ideas about evolution, biology, and longevity/immortality.

The story is basically about a teacher who is leaving university to work somewhere else and invites his fellow professors to his cabin and proceeds to tell them a story that is actually mindblowing. Each professor looks at the story from their own expertise (like biology prof looks at the biological aspects, etc).

It is basically an entire film based around a hypothetical question....what would someone's life be like if they were immortal and started out as a neanderthal and became a modern human thru living a long time and adapting because they had to.

There is a great twist in the story that I will not divulge, but it is a really good little film and I highly recommend it. And for all you trekkies out there it does have Tony Todd in it as well as Phlox himself John Billingsley.

Predestination is an Ethan Hawke film that deals with time travel, whodunit, and consequences.

I am not the biggest Ethan Hawke film fan, but this one really gets the brain juices flowing. It is a Philip K. Dick story.

There have been very few films that make me think in depth about them long after watching it. I still discuss this one with my spouse fairly regularly.

If you love time travel films this one is for you.

I would love to hear the thoughts from anyone who may have seen either of these films.

Also please post some of your favorite little known films here so we can check them out too.

Happy writing all!

Re: Little known films to share

I loved Predestination.

Other good lesser-known time travel movies (that many of you have probably heard of): Somewhere in Time (with Christopher Reeves, who meets an older woman at a party - she hands him an antique watch and says "Come back to me." and he, uh, learns how to travel in time and meets her. It takes place in the Grand Hotel on Mackinaw Island, Michigan.)

Cronocrimines by Nacho Vigalondo. Awesome weird time travel movie with a huge, weird machine. In Spanish. Time Crimes in English. Nacho Vigalondo is hilarious.

Forev. A really cute little rom com. Two neighbors barely know each other and are just kind of being lazy on the floor in one apartment. One says something to the effect of "I'm so tired, I'm never getting up." The other one says, "I guess we'll have to get married, then." So they say, okay, that's what they'll do. But one of them needs to make a road trip, so they go together and the whole time you're really worried for the impending disaster. It has Noel Wells from SNL in it.

Do-Deca Pentathalon. - The Duplass Brothers. Two brothers tried to do this elaborate back yard "olympic" event when they were kids - their mom interrupted them and wouldn't allow them to finish. Now they're in their 40s, still really competitive, and want to finish it in secret.
    Last edited by cvolante; 09-05-2016, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
      I loved Predestination.

Other good lesser-known time travel movies (that many of you have probably heard of): Somewhere in Time (with Christopher Reeves, who meets an older woman at a party - she hands him an antique watch and says "Come back to me." and he, uh, learns how to travel in time and meets her. It takes place in the Grand Hotel on Mackinaw Island, Michigan.)

Cronocrimines by Nacho Vigalondo. Awesome weird time travel movie with a huge, weird machine. In Spanish. Time Crimes in English. Nacho Vigalondo is hilarious.

Forev. A really cute little rom com. Two neighbors barely know each other and are just kind of being lazy on the floor in one apartment. One says something to the effect of "I'm so tired, I'm never getting up." The other one says, "I guess we'll have to get married, then." So they say, okay, that's what they'll do. But one of them needs to make a road trip, so they go together and the whole time you're really worried for the impending disaster. It has Noel Wells from SNL in it.

Do-Deca Pentathalon. - The Duplass Brothers. Two brothers tried to do this elaborate back yard "olympic" event when they were kids - their mom interrupted them and wouldn't allow them to finish. Now they're in their 40s, still really competitive, and want to finish it in secret.
      Somewhere in Time is a pretty good film. I like the dreamy quality of it.
      I haven't heard of the other ones you mentioned, but I shall look them up.

3 older films that are my personal fav, even though they may not be the best out there are If you could see what I hear (1982) with Mark Singer. A biopic about Tom Sullivan a blind musician/motivational speaker, The Promise (1979) with Kathleen Quinlan about a woman who gets her face crushed in a car wreck on the way to her wedding and her fiancee's mother manipulates her by paying for her reconstruction as long as she stays away from her son, and Sweet Hostage (1975) with Martin Sheen and Linda Blair about an escaped mental patient who kidnaps a teen girl and they end up falling in love.

Yes all three are drippy melodramas, but my personal guilty pleasure.

Anyone else got any great films we should know about in their mind palace?

Comment

ODE TO BILLIE JOE

great song.

Comment

Originally posted by AnconRanger View Post
          ODE TO BILLIE JOE

great song.
          Yes, good on both accounts.
          Would have been nice to see Robby Benson in more films though. He was pretty good in this one.

Comment

The Odd Angry Shot

Comment

If you like Sci-Fi Dramas, check out ANOTHER EARTH.

IMO, it's a wayyy better version of Melancholia. Made for only $100,000 too!

Comment

"The Castle" (1997). Hilarious and uplifting Aussie movie about a working class dad taking on the government when they try to eminent domain his family's house.
                https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
                http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

DERSU UZALA - Kurosawa's lesser known Soviet exploration.
                  Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
                  "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Gotta add another one to the list. Dog Soldiers (2002)
                    Werewolves in Scotland!!
                    I watched it again a couple days ago on my day off. Was rummaging around my dvd collection and popped that one in.

I always have like the film, but I must say when re-watching it this time with the subtitles on I really noticed some great writing. Very witty and self aware. Something I had not really noticed the first time I watched it, but this time since I knew the story I could really focus on the writing. Great dialog and subtle humor.

Plus being a practical effects artist myself I really thought the werewolf costumes were pretty good. Yes most of the wolf faces were static, but there were some animatronic ones used in certain close-ups.

So I highly recommend this film to those who haven't seen it and for those who have, definitely give it another go with the subtitles on.

Have fun everyone!!

Comment

Originally posted by Darthclaw13 View Post
                      Gotta add another one to the list. Dog Soldiers (2002)
                      Didn't like it. Watched it about three times now wanting to like it because i do like the overall premise. I wanted the werewolves to be ****ing beasts but to me they looked like the worst case scenario of "man in a suit". Where they should have been supremely athletic I thought they were.... your word - static

a small movie I thoroughly enjoyed was Splinter >>>SPLOILERS<<<
                      I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
                        Didn't like it. Watched it about three times now wanting to like it because i do like the overall premise. I wanted the werewolves to be ****ing beasts but to me they looked like the worst case scenario of "man in a suit". Where they should have been supremely athletic I thought they were.... your word - static

a small movie I thoroughly enjoyed was Splinter >>>SPLOILERS<<<

Haven't seen Splinter but I shall check it out.

Yes I agree that the werewolves weren't the best, but they aren't the worst either. I've been a practical effects artist for (too many) years and I have seen some real dud costumes.

But with Dog Soldiers only having a 2mil budget I have to say the weres look pretty good for that kind of budget. But I do agree they are not up to the Howling or American Werewolf in London Rick Baker creations.

Comment

Working...
                        X