Noticed a little editing trick used in "3 Days to Kill".

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noticed a little editing trick used in "3 Days to Kill".

Or maybe it wasn't an editing trick but something that came across as a continuity or "not well thought out" situation that instead of fixing by changing some placement they just used an editing trick.

I'm still watching it but right at the beginning during the original action "hook" set of scenes, Kevin Costner's character exits a big hotel by the front doors and goes to a waiting "undercover intel van" sitting right in front, on the main street busy with traffic, in broad daylight and even people walking down the sidewalk in the distance. (about 5 mins in)

He pounds once on the door and then the trick...

It cuts to the inside of the intel van after having his character already shut the door. It's full of 3 other secret agents, a bank of intel computers and the lighting is all "film development room red" which of course was just a decision made the lighting effect.

My issue is that I don't think an undercover intel van would just open the side sliding door, in the middle of the day, towards the hotel entrance, exposing 3 secret agents, unnatural red mood lighting and a van wall covered with secret spy computers.

But instead of addressing that IMHO logical continuity problem, they just did a quick edit of Kevin Costner outside in broad daylight knocks on van door, cut to inside darkened undercover intel van with 3 agents, secret computers and bright RED mood lighting.

IMHO what they SHOULD have done is have that van be parked around a corner, out of sight, or in a parking garage or something.

Just didn't make sense and I didn't buy what they attempted to do with the edit.

Maybe I'm wrong but it just didn't sit right.
    You know Jill you remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month, he must have been a happy man.

Re: Noticed a little editing trick used in "3 Days to Kill".

Well, cut my legs off and call me Shorty! We thought you'd be so enamored of the sight of the A-list Hollywood star on the screen that it would distract you so much you wouldn't notice the holes in the story logic. Dang!
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

I'm guessing you weren't totally in love with the movie already at that point?

This sort of thing happens all the time, in almost every movie you've ever seen. Maybe this was a fairly egregious example, I don't know, I haven't seen it.

By and large, when the movie is working, nobody notices.

Comment

I think both of you are right...but now I'm wondering...why did I even spend all the keyboard mashing above to even share it...? I should have been actually writing screenplays....

But then again, maybe I was in the "filmmaking" logic mindset when watching the film (more of a "critical" mindset) and noted it, but still wondering why I took the time to put it on the forum...

Weird need to share I guess....
        You know Jill you remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month, he must have been a happy man.

Comment

Originally posted by UneducatedFan View Post
          I think both of you are right...but now I'm wondering...why did I even spend all the keyboard mashing above to even share it...? I should have been actually writing screenplays....

But then again, maybe I was in the "filmmaking" logic mindset when watching the film (more of a "critical" mindset) and noted it, but still wondering why I took the time to put it on the forum...

Weird need to share I guess....
          Fuggeddaboutit! Thanks to TV technology today, I am able to pause and point out frame-by-frame to others watching many such flaws in editing or other real or abstract "faults" of the logic of movies and television series.

Ex. 1: In an intercut conversation, the skies behind Character #2 are grayer than they are for Character #1, which tells me there must have been a lunch break between changing camera positions (or else the weather just moved too fast that day). Ex. 2: Working clocks in a scene's background have varying times of day in different cuts (shots) for a continuous scene. Ex. 3: Covert surveillance vans parked outside hotel lobby doors-- oh . . . wait a minute. Never mind.

It's the kind of thing hawk-eyed film & video editors look for and are supposed to guard against in the editing suite, if possible, even though it's too late to reshoot.

As for the "Why did I post it?" commentary, many of us, with few exceptions, do that at one time or another. Fuggeddaboutit.

Be well, do well, and fare well. Happy holidays, one and all.
          Last edited by Clint Hill; 12-15-2016, 05:07 AM.
          “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Thanks and Happy Holidays to you as well.

Comment

Working...
            X