No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Things A Producer Looks For In A Screenplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrx7JWEuRkc

I happened across this Film Courage video and found it very informative and I got a lot out of it. Nice to see the words come from actual producers and their thoughts.

1. Emotional Response
    2. Genre
    3. The Hero/Protagonist
    4. What Hollywood Needs
    5. 12 Questions You Must Answer
    6. It's Personal & Mandates
    7. Red Flags
    8. Strong Voice (POV)
    9. Relevancy
    10. Budget
    11. Relationship (with writer)
    12. Business (understanding how it works which is backward to how a writer and screenwriting books suggest it is)

It was worth the time. Valuable stuff. Could be good discussion material.
    FA4
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Re: 12 Things A Producer Looks For In A Screenplay

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrx7JWEuRkc

I happened across this Film Courage video and found it very informative and I got a lot out of it. Nice to see the words come from actual producers and their thoughts.

1. Emotional Response
    2. Genre
    3. The Hero/Protagonist
    4. What Hollywood Needs
    5. 12 Questions You Must Answer
    6. It's Personal & Mandates
    7. Red Flags
    8. Strong Voice (POV)
    9. Relevancy
    10. Budget
    11. Relationship (with writer)
    12. Business (understanding how it works which is backward to how a writer and screenwriting books suggest it is)

It was worth the time. Valuable stuff. Could be good discussion material.
    FA4
    It was going along well enough until “Number 9” came up and the card said “Revelency,” which is a pretty bad misspelling of the intended word “Relevancy.” Hmm.
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
      It was going along well enough until "Number 9- came up and the card said "Revelency,- which is a pretty bad misspelling of the intended word "Relevancy.- Hmm.
      I have a problem misspelling and mispronouncing relevant as revelant. I always have to double check myself. It may be related to the phonetic similarity of: prevalent.

So eyeroll me if you must.

Many of us have quirks with certain words or phrases.

Like: Bored of you. Should be: Bored with you. Or, Bored by you. But the incorrect version is so widespread it's being accepted as correct.

Also:
      Their
      There
      They're

I've had email correspondence with lawyers who use each incorrectly. Guess they should be eyerolled, and their knowledge promptly dismissed?
      Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
        I have a problem misspelling and mispronouncing relevant as revelant. I always have to double check myself. It may be related to the phonetic similarity of: prevalent.

So eyeroll me if you must.

Many of us have quirks with certain words or phrases.

Like: Bored of you. Should be: Bored with you. Or, Bored by you. But the incorrect version is so widespread it's being accepted as correct.

Also:
        Their
        There
        They're

I've had email correspondence with lawyers who use each incorrectly. Guess they should be eyerolled, and their knowledge promptly dismissed?
        It may be the brain’s normal functions do not allow for the sequence of the letters in combination with the layout of a keyboard that makes you often spell “relevant” as “revelant.”

Besides, everyone who’s anyone and writes makes these typographical mistakes these days, thanks in part to the availability of allowing the computer to autocomplete or autocorrect whatever we type. Maybe those attorneys need new secretaries if those errors easily slip by them.

If we forgive “revelent” (as it is spelled in the Film Courage video), then what comes next? Do we allow “irregardless” to enter the dictionary as a bona fide word? Oh, dear me! It's there already! Well, I suppose we could use it in a character's dialogue to show (not tell) the audience they see and hear an illiterate variety of bumpkin.

A video for the web ought to be thoroughly proofread before launching it. Besides making readers’ eyes sore and minds numb, typographical errors diminish the credibility and validity of a piece, just as they do for lawyers and their correspondence or for screenwriters and their scripts.
        Last edited by Clint Hill; 07-15-2020, 05:11 PM.
        “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Working...
        X