X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
    Fixed for ya.
    no, you didn't. i truly believe abrams, lindelof, orzy(?) and co is of the same opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bananos View Post
      what do you mean?
      I mean TDK is a poor, sloppy, ridiculous movie. It's not even the best sequel of 2008.

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
      looks like someone sat in a room and asked a bunch of 14 to 23 year olds "what is the best sequel of all time?" they all said dark knight.
      Sad but true. Kids these days... Only care about the present.

Sucks to be them.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post

Sad but true. Kids these days... Only care about the present.

Sucks to be them.

Are you a member of the AARP, by any chance?
        "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
          Are you a member of the AARP, by any chance?
          No, just a guy not afraid to watch movies older than himself.

Because I watch movies to enjoy the storytelling and film-making. 12-year olds only watch what's currently popular and assume the first 100 years of cinema was utterly worthless.

Silly kids.

Comment

you must be kidding me? no connection? i'm sorry but your analysis of the joker is not very good. the theme is that of order vs chaos, where society is represented as order. joker is a terrorist, whose purpose is to shake things up. representing chaos. batman is the ultimate protector of order. the message is that you need both, or else society falls into fascism or anarchy. ultimately batman understands this, as he can only work if he is something apart from the police and society.

as for star trek, the connection is the nature of the prime directive, where the law is being questioned and tried by both villain and hero. how far can the federation uphold their dogmatic laws and regulations? while the villain in star trek has a more clear(and humane) motivation than the joker, his philosophy is the same. it's not really that important, because it's about the principle. that he has lost his family, or family members because of the federation not interferring, looks obvious. his mission is the same as the joker's; to make the federation re-think their rigid principles.. it's just that his reasoning is explained where the joker is not. he is not the same character as the joker personality wise, but he serves the same purpose.
            From the marketing of Star Trek 2, it's *impossible* yet to say what the villain is intending to do, and why, and what the overall story of the film is. You are making things up from thin air.

To me it seems the federation has done something very, very bad. And he's looking for revenge. But that's all we've got.

The Dark Knight is *not* making a statement that you need both chaos and order. It's made pretty clear in the film that chaos (Joker) is not a good thing.

And in the end, Batman doesn't choose to work outside of police and society because he would want to represent chaos.

He simply learns in the story that his affection for the people of Gotham can and will always be used against him, and against the very people he tries to protect. Thus he has to create the illusion that he *doesn't* care for them. He has to create the illusion, that Batman is the villain. It's a hugely tragic choice, to be hated by the people you love, in order to protect them. But it's a cross he has to bear. And so he becomes The Dark Knight.
            Last edited by tuukka; 03-21-2013, 08:34 AM.

Comment

no, you didn't. i truly believe abrams, lindelof, orzy(?) and co is of the same opinion.
              Oh well, in that case then it must be true!

And yes, I did.
              M.A.G.A.

Comment

Dark Trek

Comment

but was that a british flag in the trailer? certainly countries does not exist in star trek?
                  London is mentioned in this new "International" trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NztelRacqY8

Comment

Looking good, Benedict Cumberbatch, despite reminding me a touch of the Sherminator sounds great:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=NztelRacqY8

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
                      Yeah, I don't care to criticize before anything is known, another Trek movie, I'm in.
                      Dammit, Jim, now I'm seeing the newer trailer, and revising my opinion! Even that gratuitous bra and panties shot didn't make me jump to warpspeed. Where is the Trek movie?!

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
                        Even that gratuitous bra and panties shot didn't make me jump to warpspeed.
                        What?!

Fetch me my angry trousers! I'm madder than I've ever been!
                        M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack Sparrow View Post
                          Looking good, Benedict Cumberbatch, despite reminding me a touch of the Sherminator sounds great:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=NztelRacqY8
                          Now that you mention it, he does resemble The Sherminator a little bit. But, whenever I see him, I just see a bad ass Sherlock Holmes.
                          "Tact's just 'not saying true stuff.' " - Cordelia Chase

Comment

It looks just like every other current big budget HW action movie, but still fun.

I'm very impressed that Cumberbatch was able to keep a straight face while speaking those lines. That's real acting.
                            TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Final trailer, very slick, this gives a bit more away:

[youtube]5ec_rPApKCA[/youtube]

Comment

I have to change my pants.

Comment

Working...
                                X