No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

AHEM... SPOILER BELOW...

I pretty much called it last year, didn't I?

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
    Wouldn't it be interesting if, since we're in another timeline and another scenario, that Kirk pulls a Spock and sacrifices himself to save everyone?
    Kirk commits self sacrifice... wouldn't that shock the average Trek fan? We will see... but you heard it here.
    Also, one thing bothering me about the film is Cumberbatch's blood being re-genitive... isn't that a little too convenient? Was that a part of the original Kahn's back story? I know really nothing except for the other films and I don't think that was ever established.
    INT. DR. GONZO'S HOTEL ROOM - NIGHT

A glass of BOURBON in one hand and a COMPUTER MOUSE in the other,
    Dr. Gonzo contemplates getting off the message board and back to his script.

Comment

NO spoilers in my recap--

This movie was like if two ticking time bombs had sex, created a bunch of ticking time bomb babies, and then they all exploded.

Loved it. It blew Iron Man 3 out of the water. Both had stories there weren't good for much, but Star Trek nailed the emotions and, more importantly for me, the tension and stakes. It just never lets up. Like the really hot drunk girl you take home from the bar, have a wild night with, and may never see again. Won't change your life, but it's a hell of bargain for the cost of a few beers.

And to whoever was ragging on the performances, I feel like we watched two different movies.

Comment

Just saw it. Kicked ass. This is how you make a summer blockbuster. The fact that it was released in the spring is incidental. I thought Cumberbund Bandersnatch was great as the villain, but the whole cast was on their mark. And I LOVED the music.

It's refreshing to see a big action movie and not have my admittedly mediocre intelligence insulted a la Skyfail or Amateurmetheus.

Comment

What's the 3d like?
          It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
            What's the 3d like?
            Beats me. I paid for the story.

Comment

You should of just read the script for free then, eh?
              It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

What's the 3d like?
                It's fine. Definitely not a necessity, though.

Comment

You should of (sic) just read the script for free then, eh?
                  Script = movie?

Heck, I learn something new every day.

Comment

Just watched 3-D IMAX and it was worth every penny of its $16.95 charge!

Great opening sequence-- caught up right in the middle of the action.

It was awesome... and the packed crowd loved it. I mean, I've been to movies where the crowd cheered and applauded at the end, but the crowd did it three times during the film.

Everyone laughed at all the right moments.

And the tension and suspense-- outta this world!

I grew up with Star Trek-- watching it every Sunday after church with my mom.

They really capture what I remember is the essence of the characters.

And there is a story, a few actually-- a story of brothers, a story of family, and revenge. Strong themes of courage, honor, loyalty, morality, and sacrificing one's self for others.

Damn-straight I cried.

Just like I did when Spock died originally.

I remember listening to Orci and Kurtzman's interview with Jeff Goldsmith after the first Star Trek, and I remember-- I think it was Kurtzman-- who said that he was a Trekkie and Kahn was the best ever Star Trek, so it was no surprise that this was the story-- and hell, WHY NOT?

What was unexpected was Kahn's reappearance and summary crashing into San Francisco

And--

They got the Tribbles in again!

These are an amazing group of film makers.

Thought is was great.

FA4
                    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Enjoyed this one, big time!

A little uneven in tone, but totally forgivable. Dr. McCoy character feels like he's acting in obscure tv show, everyone else like their in a blockbuster movie.

Mild spoiler
                      V
                      V
                      V
                      V
                      V
                      V
                      V
                      Now I have to go watch ST2 again, love how Kahn's regenerative blood implicated as basis for Project Genesis and it feels so seamless the way they did that in this alternate timeline. Good stuff, looking forward to the next.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                        ...I've been to movies where the crowd cheered and applauded at the end, but the crowd did it three times during the film.
                        The only movie I ever saw where the theater audience clapped/cheered during the film was the 2002 version of The Count of Monte Cristo, which happens to be one of the most under-rated movies of all time.

Comment

Christ, this movie was atrocious. On par with PROMETHEUS as far as obscenely gaping plot holes go. If J.J's innate sense of story is this bad -- and he certainly proved it once before via SUPER 8 -- all those fanboys heralding his involvement in EPISODE VII as some sort of saving grace for the series may wanna reconsider their enthusiasm.

Comment

Originally posted by MacG View Post
                            Christ, this movie was atrocious. On par with PROMETHEUS as far as obscenely gaping plot holes go.
                            You either took too many drugs, or not enough.

Please explain Prometheus-level plot holes. Anything on par with that turd would have PLENTY, so you should be able to crank a dozen or two out with no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post

Please explain Prometheus-level plot holes. Anything on par with that turd would have PLENTY, so you should be able to crank a dozen or two out with no problem.

I could probably think of 8, but here's a couple.

SPOILERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Khan's blood. Obviously his blood is magical and it revived Kirk. So why didn't they just take blood from one of the 71 other chambers that held his crew? Why did it have to be Khan? And don't tell me it was because they were sleeping. They were alive.

How come KHAN didn't scan the ship to make sure it was his crew members they sent? He had just scanned it a few minutes earlier.

There's about 5 or 6 other plot points, but I have to get back to writing and re-jog my memory of the movie. It wasn't a terrible movie. But it wasn't a great movie. Pretty sub-par in my opinion.

For someone who hates on Nolan like you do, I find it funny how much you praise this mediocre movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post

I'm gonna see the movie just to argue with Bio about it.

I haven't seen it, but based on the first STAR TREK Abrams disemboweled, I'm pretty sure there are plot holes, bad science, and unexplained/convenient happenings to get our heroes out of trouble.

Comment

Working...
                                X