No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jojo Rabbit

Originally posted by bioprofessor View Post
    Agree!!! Tied in perfectly with earlier dialogue and action.

I heard a woman in the front row go "Awwnh, how cute" during the final scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
      I heard a woman in the front row go "Awwnh, how cute" during the final scene.
      The Holocaust was *adorable*

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
        The Holocaust was *adorable*

Don't be snarky. She was reacting to a touching scene where the boy learns a valuable lesson from his mother.

Comment

I still think about this Village Voice symposium about Schindler's List 25 years ago, which was at least an attempt to tell a "serious" story about the Holocaust. Exponentially more applicable to something fundamentally unserious like JJR

http://writing.upenn.edu/~afilreis/S...e_03-29-94.pdf

Comment

Have you seen Jojo Rabbit? It's very serious. Just because it uses humor, doesn't mean it doesn't have its serious moments. Spielberg and the Shoal foundation praised it as one of the most important films.

Comment

Have you seen Jojo Rabbit? It's very serious. Just because it uses humor, doesn't mean it doesn't have its serious moments. Spielberg and the Shoal foundation praised it as one of the most important films.
              Yes I've seen it. It treats mass murderers like a bunch of doofuses in a Hogan's Heroes episode. That it has a moral of tolerance at its core doesn't get TW off the hook for being a terrible satirist

Comment

Yes I've seen it. It treats mass murderers like a bunch of doofuses in a Hogan's Heroes episode. That it has a moral of tolerance at its core doesn't get TW off the hook for being a terrible satirist
                Disagree, Joe. Seems like TW is in good company... What Charlie Chaplin Go Right About Satirizing Hitler.

Comment

Originally posted by bioprofessor View Post
                  Disagree, Joe. Seems like TW is in good company... What Charlie Chaplin Go Right About Satirizing Hitler.
                  Well, putting Taika in the same sentence as Charlie Chaplin is not a comparison I would make. But Great Dictator was made just as WWII had begun and long before the Holocaust itself began, which Chaplin couldn't have known or predicted at the time he made it. And even then there's a distinction between the mocking fictitious character Chaplin created and working "real" Nazis into a narrative in 2020. We know the full scope of what they did now which (imo) colors the story choices any writer should make, dramatic or comedic.

Comment

The movie is a sweet story about how an impressionable boy comes to unlearn the indoctrinated propaganda through the love of his mother and Jewish girl he has a crush on. It's a movie about tolerance. It's pointing out the willful political idiocy that underlies such tragic political regimes. Regardless, the movie has a ton of nominations at the Oscars, Golden Globes, BAFTA, Critics Choice. Not to mention Steven Spielberg loves it.

Comment

Well, putting Taika in the same sentence as Charlie Chaplin is not a comparison I would make. But Great Dictator was made just as WWII had begun and long before the Holocaust itself began, which Chaplin couldn't have known or predicted at the time he made it. And even then there's a distinction between the mocking fictitious character Chaplin created and working "real" Nazis into a narrative in 2020. We know the full scope of what they did now which (imo) colors the story choices any writer should make, dramatic or comedic.
                      Are you asserting that anyone who's watched JJR would come away with any other thought, other than Taika was using satire and tragedy to show the absurdity and evil of Nazi fascism? It's hard to understand how you would consider TW's Hitler buffoon or Sam Rockwell's bumbling, cross-dressing camp counselor as "real" Nazis.

ETA (AND SPOILER ALERT)....

Worth noting that the Hitler character wasn't even "real" in the story, but rather a figment of the young boy's conflicted imagination.
                      Last edited by bioprofessor; 02-10-2020, 03:01 PM.

Comment

It's pointing out the willful political idiocy that underlies such tragic political regimes.

I typically have the inclination to avoid films like this [when I see the Nazi atrocities used in the name of "art"]... that being said, I did end up seeing it late in the game and as dense as I am, this was precisely how I saw the film -- as a beautifully strong, if sad, message that we clearly still need to see and hear in the current era of strong men in power around the world.

Comment

Originally posted by SBdeb View Post
                          I typically have the inclination to avoid films like this [when I see the Nazi atrocities used in the name of "art"]... that being said, I did end up seeing it late in the game and as dense as I am, this was precisely how I saw the film -- as a beautifully strong, if sad, message that we clearly still need to see and hear in the current era of strong men in power around the world.

It's a beautiful movie. At the heart of it, it really is a sweet story about how the love of the Jewish girl and Jojo's mother were able to triumph over the hateful indoctrination by that regime. It was almost heartbreaking to see those little kids getting brainwashed. The movie succeeds in finding humanity in a horrific time in our history. Great art needs to take risks. JoJo Rabbit clearly took them. You see the two screenplay Oscar winners JoJo Rabbit and Parasite also happened to be the movies that thought outside the box. JoJo Rabbit was one of the few movies that actually touched me. I see so many movies that they tend to wash away as soon as the lights come up, since they are usually pretty predictable. This movie just had a sweet spirit about it. Spielberg and the Shoah foundation wanted this to be a teaching tool for empathy and tolerance so that events like this never happen again. You see the same things happen over and over again in history. One group feels like they can just live at the expense of another group. They dehumanize that group, so as to justify doing bad things at their expense.

Comment

It's a beautiful movie. At the heart of it, it really is a sweet story about how the love of the Jewish girl and Jojo's mother were able to triumph over the hateful indoctrination by that regime. It was almost heartbreaking to see those little kids getting brainwashed. The movie succeeds in finding humanity in a horrific time in our history. Great art needs to take risks. JoJo Rabbit clearly took them. You see the two screenplay Oscar winners JoJo Rabbit and Parasite also happened to be the movies that thought outside the box. JoJo Rabbit was one of the few movies that actually touched me. I see so many movies that they tend to wash away as soon as the lights come up, since they are usually pretty predictable. This movie just had a sweet spirit about it. Spielberg and the Shoah foundation wanted this to be a teaching tool for empathy and tolerance so that events like this never happen again. You see the same things happen over and over again in history. One group feels like they can just live at the expense of another group. They dehumanize that group, so as to justify doing bad things at their expense.
                            Well said, Friday! You should be a writer

The creativity in both films was striking indeed, as was the fact that they both seemed to serve a higher purpose.

I won't get into another oft-repeated debate about messaging in movies, but I don't know what more one could ask for in a film --a sweet and unique take on monumentally huge ideas about leadership, society, humanity. Even this rather closed-minded viewer found myself leaning forward to learn from the story, and at the end, I felt I had been on a journey of sorts.

And how lovely too for Waititi to earn such high praise from the Academy (and as my South Asian friend said today, now, what with Waititi and Bong Joon-ho's wins, people may not throw away his e-mails just because of his funny name.)

Comment

Originally posted by SBdeb View Post
                              Well said, Friday! You should be a writer

The creativity in both films was striking indeed, as was the fact that they both seemed to serve a higher purpose.

I won't get into another oft-repeated debate about messaging in movies, but I don't know what more one could ask for in a film --a sweet and unique take on monumentally huge ideas about leadership, society, humanity. Even this rather closed-minded viewer found myself leaning forward to learn from the story, and at the end, I felt I had been on a journey of sorts.

And how lovely too for Waititi to earn such high praise from the Academy (and as my South Asian friend said today, now, what with Waititi and Bong Joon-ho's wins, people may not throw away his e-mails just because of his funny name.)

Thanks.

Yeah, both films had a powerful message, yet they told stories first. Kind of like how "It's a Wonderful life" has a prescription for treating people nicer, but is a story first. JoJo Rabbit used comedy well to get viewers involved in the story and establish a rooting interest in the characters, then when the drama hits at a key point, it hits like a mack truck. I noticed the audience went whoa at that key dramatic scene. I even heard a lady slightly sobbing. I felt both movies had a high level of difficulty to pull off. You pretty much have to be a master craftsman to pull off what they did and have audiences embrace those films the way they did. I heard the auditorium give an enthusiastic reaction when those two films were introduced compared to the other films Oscar Sunday.

Comment

I realize this film has been out for some time now. Still, I could find it in a nice theater near me, saw it, and thought it was delightful. If anyone who lurks here hasn’t yet seen it, do so. Some parallels with current events are striking, others mere fanciful imagination at play, but all of it is excellent.
                                “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Working...
                                X