Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guardians of the Galaxy

I do have to say that was one of the most fun and entertaining films I have seen in a long time!

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy

Originally posted by Scriptman View Post
    I do have to say that was one of the most fun and entertaining films I have seen in a long time!
    Yeah. Imagine that. Making a comic book movie that is colorful, fun, and optimistic.

Comment

Was anyone else at least moderately disappointed with the bad exchanges of OTN exposition? Drax's introduction by way of having another inmate tell him who he himself was ("You know who I am?.... You know why they call me the Destroyer?" AKA "Hey, can you quickly summarize my backstory for the audience so I can go Hulk Mode?") in the "Let's save Gamora from puny inmates she'd have no problem handling herself if we didn't need her to be saved from something at this point" scene is case and point.

Comment

How MCU-y was it?

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Boellner View Post
          Was anyone else at least moderately disappointed with the bad exchanges of OTN exposition? Drax's introduction by way of having another inmate tell him who he himself was ("You know who I am?.... You know why they call me the Destroyer?" AKA "Hey, can you quickly summarize my backstory for the audience so I can go Hulk Mode?") in the "Let's save Gamora from puny inmates she'd have no problem handling herself if we didn't need her to be saved from something at this point" scene is case and point.
          I loved the movie, but I can't argue this. I have the feeling a lot of Ronan's and Drax's backstory was edited out for more jokey scenes. Hopefully there will be more on the DVD (or if Marvel's smart, the rerelease of this movie in two months with additional footage).

Comment

Originally posted by ctp View Post
            How MCU-y was it?
            Not at all, really. Which is why I loved it. Felt like it's own standalone thing. Felt like a real movie. Not that the other Marvel movies don't, but I think they all tend to suffer a little for the lifting and bending they have to do to accommodate previous and subsequent movies.
            Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

First the disclaimer: I'm a comic geek. For many years I owned and operated five comic and collectable stores. I am still friends and still correspond regularly with a number of comic "creators." We all discuss the "old days. "In one form or another comics were a large part of my life for many years (until roughly 1998.)

The reason I mention all that is I am part of the target audience for Marvel movies. I wanted to love Guardians -- but I didn't. It was only okay. I think they took the right tact. The feeling of a fun, wild, space opera was the right decision. It got a lot of the really big stuff right -- it WAS kinda, sorta fun.

But.... the dialogue was cringe-worthy at times. It's a perfect movie to point to if a new writer asks "what's OTN mean?" The dialogue became so wooden at times that it sucked the fun out of the movie. I kept thinking of the particularly bad passages instead of paying attention to the movie.

The movie handed us things -- without ever earning them. Peter and Zaldana attraction - not earned. Ronin's reasons for his rampage - a throwaway line that he hates the peace treaty -- but never earned. He was a cardboard villain that wasn't interesting. Our emotional involvement depended more on the soundtrack than on carefully crafting the characters. Frankly, Howard the Duck had almost as much character development as many of the major players in the movie.

It was a great overall template for some future Marvel movies, but it made the mistake so many of them do. It concentrated on multiple villains and multiple stories and failed at those instead of giving us one nicely-crafted movie that we cared about and became emotionally involved with.

It's one of those movies that I walked away from thinking, "it could have been so much better." I hate that.
              If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
              Dave Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Boellner View Post
                Was anyone else at least moderately disappointed with the bad exchanges of OTN exposition?
                I used to be annoyed by this, but I read a review last year for Pacific Rim in which it said the dialogue was so bad it couldn't be mis-translated. And then I understood. Yes, there are better lines with more nuance in English. But how would that play in Russian, French, German and Chinese? Probably not as well. So the writers keep it as simple as possible. Part of writing for a global market, I guess.

Comment

That doesn't add up, to me. If you're making media for the global market, wouldn't you invest in good translators? I don't expect translations to contain all of the nuance of the original but being consistent with the original is certainly not out of reach. And you wouldn't intentionally compromise the English dialog, anyway, when the English is the first language of half your audience, if not more.

Comment

I liked it, but thought there was WAY too much introduced to keep track of. It was spitting out new worlds and storylines L and R. (And BL readers claim my space opera is over-stuffed).

I also felt there wasn't enough info given about Nova Prime and its people to really care if it blew up or not. This is why most BB's end battling to save New York. Everyone knows/loves the Big Apple.

I like the exposition, though. It makes me feel better about my own
                    I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by Centurio View Post
                      First the disclaimer: I'm a comic geek. For many years I owned and operated five comic and collectable stores. I am still friends and still correspond regularly with a number of comic "creators." We all discuss the "old days. "In one form or another comics were a large part of my life for many years (until roughly 1998.)

The reason I mention all that is I am part of the target audience for Marvel movies. I wanted to love Guardians -- but I didn't. It was only okay. I think they took the right tact. The feeling of a fun, wild, space opera was the right decision. It got a lot of the really big stuff right -- it WAS kinda, sorta fun.

But.... the dialogue was cringe-worthy at times. It's a perfect movie to point to if a new writer asks "what's OTN mean?" The dialogue became so wooden at times that it sucked the fun out of the movie. I kept thinking of the particularly bad passages instead of paying attention to the movie.

The movie handed us things -- without ever earning them. Peter and Zaldana attraction - not earned. Ronin's reasons for his rampage - a throwaway line that he hates the peace treaty -- but never earned. He was a cardboard villain that wasn't interesting. Our emotional involvement depended more on the soundtrack than on carefully crafting the characters. Frankly, Howard the Duck had almost as much character development as many of the major players in the movie.

It was a great overall template for some future Marvel movies, but it made the mistake so many of them do. It concentrated on multiple villains and multiple stories and failed at those instead of giving us one nicely-crafted movie that we cared about and became emotionally involved with.

It's one of those movies that I walked away from thinking, "it could have been so much better." I hate that.
                      This. All of this. There's much more I could say about the film (I like it less, the more I think about it), but I'm trying to be more reserved with my public criticisms, so I'll just agree with you here, hahaha

Comment

Looked pretty cheesy, so good to know - thanks! Got such good reviews though.
                        www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
                        http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

It was absolutely the best-ever performance by a raccoon and a tree.

Comment

If you haven't seen it yet please do. Sure there are things you could poke at but it is tremendous fun. If you are a human being with a sense of humour you'll love it.

Comment

It was fun, and the Racoon stole the show, but the story was just dull. Like most fun sci-fi's with average stories (ST's 1 and 2), your admiration will fade in 2 weeks.

The Matrix, on the other hand, made you keep thinking about it for a long long time after the theatre.
                              I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Working...
                              X