Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

I don't think it really has anything to do with writers pissing on stuff, but, for me, it's more along the lines of, "That's the teaser?"

Given the caliber of the talent involved, I think it's quite right for people to be underwhelmed with this teaser. It's entirely possible there's just not enough filmed yet to make a really good teaser, but that doesn't mean we have to bow down before a spot that's clearly not what it could be.

I think the closer we get to release, the better the teasers/trailers will be. Hell, they're probably still writing the movie.

Comment

A jaded bunch this group is. It's only a teaser...sheesh. It's not a trailer. It's like a Save-the-Date notice for something a year away. It did its job. No one is even talking about the Jurassic World trailer, also in play now.

What I saw: this version has a young Black dude and a young woman who can pilot a tractor jet or whatever. That's cool to see. Also, can't wait for religious extremists to get upset at the evil cross light saber.

Comment

Epic missed opportunity?

Had the teaser ended with the line:

The Sith are gone. A new enemy will rise...

Just imagine the reaction!

Thar's not to say Ep 7 will be bad or even average, if the story is solid it could be good - but I feel Lucasfilm/Disney missed an incredible opportunity to take the saga in a new direction.

The problem with this teaser is it's anti-epic for the biggest epic film series of all time. I was expecting a fleet of star destroyers to be crashing into a planet or something.
        LOL!

Well, we had a rolling ball droid. That's almost at the same level.
        Last edited by moviefan; 11-29-2014, 10:20 AM.

Comment

I have to agree that it seemed rather cobbled together. I would have been chilled just to have something along the lines of John Williams's score blast away... Du du du dahhhh dahh, du du du dahhh dah, etc.

Then have the millineum falcon hurl across the screen, go into lightspeed.

Then have the date stream across in glowing letters with a lightsaber sfx.

And just for the hell of it a line of nostalgia like...

"Great, Kid. Don't get cocky."

And... done.

Yeah. That would be a teaser.

Comment

Good enough for me. Loved the moment when the music hit and the Falcon arced though the sky. I'm going to try to avoid all the trailers, hype, and spoilers in the coming months so I can see this with as much of a blank slate as possible.

Comment

Is the teaser that different to what we saw in 1977? No, not really. Wouldn't the Republic have updated the X-Wing fighters? When Star Wars came out in 1977 we had cathode ray tvs. We now have flat screen HD tvs - smart tvs, 4k tvs (if you can afford 'em)! TV has come along way in nearly 40 years. But in the SW universe we're being shown a 30 years advance and the good guys still use dirty looking X-Wing fighters? LOL No new designs. Seems a bit unlikely.

"We didn't have the cash to upgrade anything. 30 years of galactic recession."

The Empire fell 30 years ago - and it did cos I saw it on screen, I saw the Ewoks dancing and Luke's daddy saying "leave me, son!" and the end titles appeared and we left the theater thinking "wow - cool ending. The good guys won!"

And now 30 years later we got JJ Abrams going "WRONG! They didn't win after all!"

LOL It's kinda silly. Ep 7 negates the entire original trilogy! The bad guys lost. I saw it on screen. Well, you got to unsee it cos the Sith are back!

The franchise is in a creative hole and 90 percent of all the people raving or hating the teaser trailer can't even see that hole. Oh well.
              Last edited by moviefan; 11-29-2014, 06:44 PM.

Comment

...Except the X-Wing design has been updated. And the Tie Fighters chasing the Falcon were firing green lasers, implying they now belong to the Rebels.
                Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by NoirDigits View Post
                  ...Except the X-Wing design has been updated. And the Tie Fighters chasing the Falcon were firing green lasers, implying they now belong to the Rebels.
                  They always fired green lasers. Trust me. I played "Tie Fighter" in 1993 on PC. Logged about 3000 hours. I still remember all the codes -- 4. Ardent 5. Audacity 6. Colossus. 7 Courageous. 8. Devastation 9. Emperor. 10. Emperor's Will. 11. Formidable. 12. Furious. 13. Glory. 14. Glorious. 15. Harpax. 16. Harpago, 17. illustrious 18. Imperator 19. Implacable 20. Indomitable 21. Inflexible 22. Lighting 23. Magnificent 24. Majestic 25. Monarch 26. Monitor 27. Protector. 28. Renown. 29. Resolution 30. Thunderer. 31. Triumph 32. Vanguard.

I wasted 2 years of my life.
                  I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

My mistake.
                    Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

The general consensus is - and it's 99.9 percent proven in the teaser trailer - the Sith/Empire return. Perhaps not the full Empire, that would be unlikely but some Imperial faction trying to rebuild its power base. The Sith are to return in some updated guise. If you search the net you'll find out what I'm referring to.

But what about something different? How about this:

The Sith can return but why do they have to be the ultimate bad guys? What if some new villain dared to challenge their order?

Lucasfilm/Disney could feature the classic old stuff - tie-fighters, stormtroopers, Sith lightsaber battles etc - but the storyline is shaped around a new villain trying to impose his order on the galaxy. I feel this would give the third trilogy a degree of freshness. This is my fear about the trilogy, it's just the same old stuff repackaged with a new, younger cast - Han/Leia or Luke's children.

Comment

I like where moviefan is going. And since we're playing theoretical here, I've always liked the conciet of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".

The remnants of the Empire could have been like the old Rebellion, tucked away in some backwoods part of the galaxy in rebuilding mode, unable to really do much but talk big and scheme. They are the first to encounter a new threat that doesn't care about ideology and politics or old resentments. The two sides must come together to defeat it.

What we saw in the second trilogy was a fracturing of unity. The first trilogy was the opposition of unity. Thematically, the third could be the healing of the two sides and a promise of a new beginning.

Sure it's an old trope and all warm and fuzzy, but this is Star Wars... it's not sci-fi, it's fantasy. It should feel good and heroic and mythological.

I hope it does.

Comment

I wouldn't create a new villain. The Sith are solid bad guys. They're a mirror of the Jedi. Introducing some new force-wielding faction is simply too risky.

Just remember how crappy Indiana Jones movies were without Nazis.
                          I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                            I wouldn't create a new villain. The Sith are solid bad guys. They're a mirror of the Jedi. Introducing some new force-wielding faction is simply too risky.

Just remember how crappy Indiana Jones movies were without Nazis.
                            Good point. The Sith could always be that wild card evil. We already know they play nice to achieve bad. They succedded the first time. Might be kind of neat to watch it fall apart the second time and them get played at their own game, because Luke is THAT bad@ss... he did play the Emperor after all with that whole "possum" thing he did in ROTJ... "oh... father... help me... oh". All that force lightning and not one scar or wrinkle or burn to show for it. Not sure if the writers were that clever or not, but Vader left the dark side the same way he joined it. Luke was simply more powerful than Palpatine.

Comment

A much better version of the teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v93Jh6JNBng

In Rick's immortal words:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3RR-rzT5ws

I think it's what subconsciously struck me as off the first time I watched the teaser, it just flat out wasn't dense enough.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                                They always fired green lasers. Trust me. I played "Tie Fighter" in 1993 on PC. Logged about 3000 hours.
                                And Good Old Games has now rereleased these games, with all the add-ons, ready to play on modern computers. See you in the Spring.

The trailer was a teaser, meant to excite die hards... a pretty large crowd, and considering how the internet is lit up over it, it's worked.

My reaction is pretty ambivalent. I've seen nothing involving plot or character, just proof that they can make people travel from point A to B on giant metal fudgesicles. Which is to say they're at least capable of capturing the design dynamic of the original trilogy, so... hooray for that much.

I'm a lot more curious as to whether the film itself will rest on a comfortable scale between the classic trilogy and the big dumb summer movie histrionics that Abrams is good at. Star Trek favored the latter, though we didn't care at first because the 2009 one was actually kind of good... Into Darkness wasn't, so we're less forgiving. So a general audience is going to eat this up, while an audience that pays attention to track records, previous cinema sins, and Abrams' reliance on writers who can't figure out when their trick bag is past its due date are going to be naturally reluctant to put any trust in a clip that doesn't feel the need to exhibit any substance.

Plus that lightsaber made me think, pretty much instantly, of the cross joint in Pineapple Express.

But I'm not skeptical. I figure we might have one or two acceptable Star Wars flicks before Disney starts playing it insanely safe and by the numbers.

Comment

Working...
                                X