No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Black List Review - Suggestions on Approach for the Novel Series

Just wanted to say best of luck, Lisa.

You've got endless wisdom from many folks here. I would say that you should keep sending out your script. Or maybe I missed the bit where you or your manager has already done that and exhausted all the avenues? Because it sounds like it could work as a great writing sample to open some doors for you?

It was great reading this thread. Thanks to all for their contributions. Best of luck again, you deserve all the success I'm sure you're going to get one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Klazart View Post
      Just wanted to say best of luck, Lisa.

You've got endless wisdom from many folks here. I would say that you should keep sending out your script. Or maybe I missed the bit where you or your manager has already done that and exhausted all the avenues? Because it sounds like it could work as a great writing sample to open some doors for you?

It was great reading this thread. Thanks to all for their contributions. Best of luck again, you deserve all the success I'm sure you're going to get one day.
      Thank you, Klazart. No, my scripts haven't gone wide. They go to a handful of studios and prodcos that can handle the budget.

I'm writing a mid-range noir-ish crime thriller now, that I think is commercial. Working on the outline now. Has a few twists and turns to work out to get the ending right. After that I'll be working on another pilot.

thank you for your kind words, very much appreciated. There are a lot of great writers, and DDP personnel, on this site that are so willing to help others, and I like that about DDP.

Just keepin' it movin' forward.
      Cheers.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Why haven't they gone wide? They certainly have the quality. It's great writing.
        I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
          Why haven't they gone wide? They certainly have the quality. It's great writing.
          It does no good to go wide, since it all comes down to a handful of people who can take it. And even with those, we don't go out to all of them at the same time. Just a few, see how it's received.

Antoine Fuqua was sent one as a directing vehicle. Don't know if he's read it or not. He's filming a TV series now and has several projects lined up, but he's the kind of director I'd love to see take on Tracker. It will probably need to be packaged for either of them to go anywhere, and Tracker, just might be too dark-- at least for now.

The type of violence in Tracker apparently doesn't travel well, so I've been told. It's going to take a specific person's interest in them to get them moving, I think.

Thank you for the kind words, FoxHound, I appreciate it. I think it will simply take getting more projects under my belt-- so I'm working on that.

Best,
          Lisa
          Last edited by finalact4; 09-06-2016, 01:52 PM.
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Lisa, I read your Tracker feature screenplay and I dont think its that over the top violent, no more so than Saw or Seven.

However, I believe it is the added combination of a high production costs (the tracker machines and large ensemble of cast and many set pieces) that will make it difficult to get it greenlit.

IMHO, techniques like removing the pixel sequences when hooking up to the machine into just a simple white light can help reduce costs while not sacrificing any story. Small things like that everywhere will help.

Some small gripes about the plot but nothing big. Several spelling errors.. first page or first paragraph there is 'tatoo' (repeated one more time later)

I havent read your Wasteland feature script but from your description and forum comments it sounds like Dune with GoT or something. Will read when I got the time

Cheers
            Derek

Comment

Originally posted by Goliath View Post
              Lisa, I read your Tracker feature screenplay and I dont think its that over the top violent, no more so than Saw or Seven.

However, I believe it is the added combination of a high production costs (the tracker machines and large ensemble of cast and many set pieces) that will make it difficult to get it greenlit.

IMHO, techniques like removing the pixel sequences when hooking up to the machine into just a simple white light can help reduce costs while not sacrificing any story. Small things like that everywhere will help.

Some small gripes about the plot but nothing big. Several spelling errors.. first page or first paragraph there is 'tatoo' (repeated one more time later)

I havent read your Wasteland feature script but from your description and forum comments it sounds like Dune with GoT or something. Will read when I got the time

Cheers
              Derek
              Hi Derek;
              Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure which draft I sent you, but will check out the spelling typos and the version that's up on the Black List. Apologies for the typos. I just re-organized my final draft files.

The budget of Tracker wasn't the leading problem, execs really liked it, and gave it due consideration.

Very valid comments on what can reduce the production costs. I think you're right, too. It wouldn't change the story much at all-- just the wow-cool factor which is irrelevant if it prohibits it from getting made, right?

It's like how the time machine in Looper is just a metal sphere, right? Nothing too fancy about it. Not a lot of showing HOW it works, just showing that someone appears.

There was a TV exec at a studio that had their entire staff read it, then they all met about it to discuss it. In the end, it was too similar to something else, so they passed, but it was given a fair opportunity-- can't ask for more. I mean, the TV exec liked it enough to have his entire staff read a 128 page feature, I'm not sure they do that, that often, so I'm grateful for the consideration.

An agent said that it's the specific type of violence (against women) that doesn't travel well overseas, which limits its appeal.

Also, that Minority Report and Hannibal were faltering had some concerned, but it seemed several really loved the writing, so maybe down the road it will be something to rewrite and move forward with. Getting a director and lead actor attached would help turn things around, too.

Right now, I need to focus on moving forward and finish two projects by year's end.

I will consider your comments carefully during rewriting. Maybe then it could appeal to a moderate sized prodco, who knows.

Thank you very much for taking the time and interest in Tracker. I appreciate your thoughts.

Best,
              Lisa

Comment

No problem, just trying to help out. Yeah, about the simplifying of the tech and sci fi equipment and sequences, its your choice how much you want to tone it down.

The violence toward women ive seen worse like in I Saw the Devil. Thats one sinister, brutal Korean flick. Quite interesting premise too. Im surprised Hollywood has not remade it.. maybe because the content is too gruesome.

Reducing the page count below 120 might also help.

Comment

Working...
                X