Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***** and PG-13

Researching MPAA ratings, it appears that the stronger sexually derived words, like f***, can be used up to 4 times and get away with a PG-13 as long as the word is used as an expletive only. Has any one any idea on the use of pu**y (sexual variant) in PG-13 films?
    M.A.G.A.

Re: ***** and PG-13

Twice. Unless it's a James Bond film.

Comment

Once, actually. The MPAA rule is that you get one F-bomb used in a non-sexual context.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
        Researching MPAA ratings, it appears that the stronger sexually derived words, like f***, can be used up to 4 times and get away with a PG-13 as long as the word is used as an expletive only. Has any one any idea on the use of pu**y (sexual variant) in PG-13 films?
        The MPAA seemed to have moved their rules again .. for some reason they don't believe in keeping them available.

The 'guidelines' state that they can have a single 'sexually derived expletive' in a non-sexual context and still stay PG-13.

So if someone calls another a 'smeg-head' then it would count as a single strike.
        Another ... and it wouldn't be PG-13 anymore.

If they use a sexual derived expletive in a sexual context - then it isn't PG-13 anymore.

Of course - technically they are guidelines etc etc.

Mac
        New blogposts:
        *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
        *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
        *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
        *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Thanks for the info but damn.

I'm gonna need Steven spielberg to direct my film.
          M.A.G.A.

Comment

It's a game of movie politics and who likes who. Quite a few PG-13 movies have gotten away with stuff, including the F-bomb twice thing. Then there are rated R films that have wondering why they were rated R.
            "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
            - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Should I continue to write my script as is - and let the agents and prodco readers worry about the language?

Also, I have a scene where a woman gets on her hands and knees (back to us) and we hear the guy's zip being unfastened. Is that PG-13 or R?
              Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 02-05-2012, 12:45 PM.
              M.A.G.A.

Comment

Be creative. Use different words. Words that haven't been used so often they no longer mean anything.

- Bill
                Free Script Tips:
                http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

WC, the problem is the 4 instances of p*ssy are part of a running joke that started when the characters were 13. I could trade the word for a less obvious one but then it would lose authenticity.

Over here, we have a great word for p*ssy that is pretty harmless - flange. But in a US based film, set in the early 90s, it's going to go sink like lead.
                  M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                    WC, the problem is the 4 instances of p*ssy are part of a running joke that started when the characters were 13. I could trade the word for a less obvious one but then it would lose authenticity.

Over here, we have a great word for p*ssy that is pretty harmless - flange. But in a US based film, set in the early 90s, it's going to go sink like lead.
                    My script went out as a hard-R comedy. Fvck, pvssy, everything. The producer we set it up with saw it as PG-13 so I cut the fvcks but left in two non-sexual pvssies.

I guess my advice would be to just make it good. Worry about the rating later.

Comment

Don't you remember, that's why the writer's guild went on strike a couple of years back, to get that one 'F Bomb'
                      It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

unless you're writing a kiddie flick, who writes with "ratings" in their head?

cable tv (and i'm talking reg cable not premium) has gotten really loose with the language and sex.

but i agree with whoever said to come up with your own language. make a voice that stands out.
                        fudge = fvck
                        sugar = sh!t
                        how sweet is that?

Comment

I'm doing a rom com - traditional family friendly fare - but it isn't adult enough to constitute an R like She's Out of my League and The Ugly Truth.

I'll just write it as you guys suggest.
                          M.A.G.A.

Comment

Working...
                          X