Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Spec Over 120 pgs

Write brilliantly and it really doesn't matter. BRIGANDS was over 130 pages with tiny margins. PASSENGERS was over 120. A ****ty script is a ****ty script and painful to read 90 pages or 120 or otherwise.

Note that comedies and dramas should be shorter (<115) with the "longer script exception" being reserved for genre (action/sci-fi/fantasy/period) pieces that require more description.
    Reaction time is a factor, so please pay attention.

Comment

When a reader/producer approaches a script and see it as 90 pages, would they have a negative preconception towards it...? As in, it may not be taken 'as' seriously because it is shorter than 100?
      Twitter @sjgrierson
      https://twitter.com/sjgrierson

Comment

Originally posted by sjgrierson View Post
        When a reader/producer approaches a script and see it as 90 pages, would they have a negative preconception towards it...? As in, it may not be taken 'as' seriously because it is shorter than 100?
        If your subject matter is on par with KINGDOM OF HEAVEN, yes, producers probably wouldn't take a 90 page script too seriously.

Every other genre can be done in the 90-110 page range, and in fact may benefit from being such a swift read.

On a side note, I just read a review that said MAX PAYNE clocks in at 85 minutes. The movie is supposed to be horrid, but still....

Comment

Originally posted by Han Shot First View Post
          Write brilliantly and it really doesn't matter. BRIGANDS was over 130 pages with tiny margins. PASSENGERS was over 120. A ****ty script is a ****ty script and painful to read 90 pages or 120 or otherwise.

Note that comedies and dramas should be shorter (<115) with the "longer script exception" being reserved for genre (action/sci-fi/fantasy/period) pieces that require more description.

Exactly my point.
          "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

I think they'd pick up the script and get a negative first impression based on the heft of it. But, they'd still start reading and if it's good, they'll finish it.

Sure 120 pages is a lot, but if they read the first 100 pages...they'll finish the last 20.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
              And if you just can't get it under 120, fudge it with Final Draft... maybe move your dialogue line over a smitten and you can shave off 5 pages.
              I started fooling around with Final Draft out of curiosity. Looks like you can knock quite a few pages off of a script by adjusting the margins under Document/Page Layout.

Comment

Under document, go to Page Layout. Under Options you can change line spacing of whole script from very tight, tight, normal, loose. Have fun and see what your page count does.

I'll try my lastest script for example.

very tight -- 88
                tight -- 93
                normal -- 99
                loose -- 105

Still plenty of ways to adjust. This shouldn't be your first step, but if you have a 123 page script and can't cut anything else, I think it's best to fiddle and make it under 120.

But never forget that sometimes you have to make hard choices, take out a character, a scene you love that goes nowhere...

In general I think specs should be 90 to 110 pages. It's what I hear from everyone and see. Make it shorter. Make it shorter. I had 3 of those, but I cut one to save space.

Comment

Don't do that.
                  Reaction time is a factor, so please pay attention.

Comment

Tsk, tsk, naughty boys.

http://www.wordplayer.com/columns/wp17.Fudging.html
                    -- Another Writer

Comment

Well as that articles states, sometimes you have no choice. It SHOULD NOT be your first step. And maybe you should never do it for a studio, but we are talking spec. Getting in the door. Making the reader happy.

I've read tons of scripts and they all look basically the same and they all look different too. My version of a 100 page script might be a 105 page script for some or a 97 page for some. There are so many choices a writer can make (line spacing, CONT'D, how you space action....) that it's unfair to make a blanket statement against playing with the page count.

I use final draft and others I assume use movie magic, other script software that has slightly different variables in how the same words would spread out over an entire script. Also you can select different types of script layout before you begin...

When you think about it, it's not this malicious thing. It's like editing any document. Sometimes you need your 10 page paper to be 12 or 8.

Comment

You and Han are right. I'm just giving the other side. I'll say it again, don't plan on doing this. Don't solve story issues this way. But is it wrong to consider when you've done all you can and the story WANTS to be 123 pages.

I had a 118 page comedy script... thought it was perfect. Dodgeball was 123 or so -- had similar concept. But everyone said, keep it shorter. I asked everyone I could, even Blake Synder and he said:

Comedies should aim for 95-99 pages.

My current draft is 98 pages. And it's 100% better.

What genre is the script?

Comment

Originally posted by writerly
                          Point of fact -- it goes against industry standards.

it's lame to "cheat" the margins.

and you can tell way cheating the margins. Sure, there's a variation (mainly from overseas scripts) but there are standards and you can tell.

Just effing cut a scene or two already. I mean, unless your script is like effing brilliant. Which, no offense, I doubt because otherwise you wouldn't be asking permission to make it longer, you'd know it was utter brilliance.

Why don't you post the first 10-20 pages and we'll help you chop it down?

:-D
                          I haven't written a word of the script yet, but after outlining the major plot points it feels like it will run (way) long. I was just curious to what people thought on 120+ page specs.

(Based on responses I may even spec The Hobbit for Peter Jackson...)
                          Last edited by TheMonkeyofSpec; 10-20-2008, 09:07 AM. Reason: ...

Comment

Very cool thread.

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                            Under document, go to Page Layout. Under Options you can change line spacing of whole script from very tight, tight, normal, loose. Have fun and see what your page count does.

I'll try my lastest script for example.

very tight -- 88
                            tight -- 93
                            normal -- 99
                            loose -- 105

Still plenty of ways to adjust. This shouldn't be your first step, but if you have a 123 page script and can't cut anything else, I think it's best to fiddle and make it under 120.

But never forget that sometimes you have to make hard choices, take out a character, a scene you love that goes nowhere...

In general I think specs should be 90 to 110 pages. It's what I hear from everyone and see. Make it shorter. Make it shorter. I had 3 of those, but I cut one to save space.
                            Thanks for this. I'll keep it in mind as a possible tool, but I think I'll try my hardest to cut it down from 129 to 120 by shortening words throughout the script.

Then again...
                            "We'd better get back, 'cause it'll be dark soon, and they mostly come at night... mostly." - Newt

AlexThompsonWriter.com

Comment

i have the opposite problem... I always feel like maybe it's not long enough if it's under 100... crazy?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkeyofSpec View Post
                                (Based on responses I may even spec The Hobbit for Peter Jackson...)
                                Look, I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but...
                                "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Working...
                                X