X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New Black List

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
    There are a couple of things here that I want to respond to.

DISCLAIMER*****I'm not involved with this venture in any fashion, I have nothing invested in its success or failure.

First, it's different than any other "service" out there because it evolves its recommendations based on user feedback. I'm pretty sure Inktip doesn't have anything remotely like this, I've used it, and it just has a search function. The interactive tailoring to the user's taste is the core of what makes the BL idea different. So, yeah, in terms of ANY non-traditional method for finding material, i.e., outside the agency/referral this is worlds beyond eblasts, listings, and Pitchfests. It is specific to the buyer/reps tastes as they are tracked across a lot of projects. So, yeah, it's completely new because it weeds out 90% of the material that is caught in the net, and actively funnels likely matches to the user.

Second, Franklin knows more about how the machine of acquisition and development work than anyone who has ever tried to do this sort of thing. Personally, I trust his experience and intelligence enough to give it time to get off the ground and see how it works.

Third, the industry has widened the net on finding material over the last fifty years, and that has been driven by the internet. Fifty years ago, an unknown screenwriter in Boston, or France had no shot at selling a spec, modern communications have changed that. This is a logical evolutionary offshoot of that trend.

Fourth, don't get caught up in nitpicking language. It's meaningless. Of course they hope it will change the way business is done. I happen to think that he believes that could happen if they get enough buy in from users (buyers and reps).

Fifth, of course it's an experiment. Calling it that isn't a revelation.

Finally, I think that it may be worth a shot, at a price point of 150.00 or so to get a couple of reads that rate the material and then have it up long enough to filter out of the crowd...if it's good.

And ultimately, that's what really matters...if it's good.
    Could not have said it better myself. Thank you, Geoff, for saving my cramping figures. And now, I should probably eat something today.

Comment

I will say, after reading the long post on GITS, I do appreciate the fact that Franklin tried to warn people not to waste their money. Bad scripts are and will clearly make their way into the system, but at least it's at the writers' own peril and not because they were duped.

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a well-established brand and monetizing it. We all need a way to pay the bills, and getting to be your own boss and work with a brand you've built from the ground up is a great way to go about it.

But like I said before, I'm not convinced that this service will break enough writers to make it worth the cost. I will, however, be happy to be proved wrong.
      QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
        I'd encourage all of you to read what's at the below link in full.

Thank you to all of you for asking questions yesterday. As there are more that I haven't directly addressed here or at this link, I'll respond to clear things up.

The What, How, and Why of the Black List: The Long Answer by Franklin Leonard

http://blog.blcklst.com/2012/10/the-...nklin-leonard/
        Thanks very much, Franklin. The blog answered all my questions, except what the ratings sheet/coverage form looks like. Is there anywhere we can see a sample?

I think this has the potential to be great.

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post

So this is an experiment laced with the "hope" it will change the way screenplays are discovered. In an industry that hasn't changed the way they find scripts in the last - what - 50 years? (
          Was Nicholl around 50 years ago? Was Page? Was Industry/tracking b? Was the Black List? Those are all places where scripts/writers are now discovered.

Comment

You know, I did think twice about the "50 years" comment but then decided to go with it. Okay -- I am converted! This is next great thing!
            Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
              You know, I did think twice about the "50 years" comment but then decided to go with it. Okay -- I am converted! This is next great thing!
              It is. Imagine having the highest rated script in a particular genre.

Even if you don't sell because of it, it will look great on your query letter.

Comment

Imagine pounding pots of coffee and staring at the your uploaded Script's read stats for three days straight.
                REFRESH...REFRESH... REFRESH...
                This will give a many of us a stroke. But it'll keep me of
                facebook and Tumblr. That alone, might be worth the monthly fees .
                He who laughs last is mentally slow

Comment

Looks like I'm gonna skip the hookers and blow this month.

HH

Comment

I joined. Couldn't type into the logline box for some reason, like it was inactive. No problem, I'll just edit it after signup.

YOU CAN'T EDIT AFTER SIGNUP. Now a have a script with no details hosted for $25 a month that won't get read for, in their words, "as long as a few weeks."

Me and The Black List are totally not speaking right now.

Comment

I need to see some screencaps of this website.

Comment

Originally posted by Crashlander View Post
                        I joined. Couldn't type into the logline box for some reason, like it was inactive. No problem, I'll just edit it after signup.

YOU CAN'T EDIT AFTER SIGNUP. Now a have a script with no details hosted for $25 a month that won't get read for, in their words, "as long as a few weeks."

Did you e-mail for tech support?
                        QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
                          It is. Imagine having the highest rated script in a particular genre.

Even if you don't sell because of it, it will look great on your query letter.
                          Wait a sec -- you mean I may still have to query the old fashioned way? I thought this was going to change that paradigm?

What would I write in my query:

I had the highest rated script on The New Black List and not one of the 1000 industry members who had access to it were interested. Tracking my New Black List stats, I see my script was read 30 times. But I have no idea who read it and I have no idea what they thought about it. So I'm hoping you may want to read it.

Maybe we should think this through. If you upload a script that gets no interest, it kinda-sorta may be dead, no?

I'm also thinking when you query on your own, it's real easy for a prodco or manager, or their assistants, to check the New Black List and see who may have panned it, because -- if I understand the guidelines correctly -- the comments of those who read a script are not available to the writer. Neither are the names of those who read it. Hmmm.

(Disclaimer: at this point I'm just being a contrarian while killing time until the POTUS debate starts. Seriously, if folks want to spend their money on this grand experiment -- go for it.)
                          Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

This cracked me up.

Apart from the LL glitch, I don't think the $25 fee should have to be paid until, at the very least, the evaluation is returned to you.
                            "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
                              Did you e-mail for tech support?
                              Yeah, you can request a change to your details. No idea how long that will take. I'm sure it's a safeguard... in case you... edit you own profile. Can you imagine the chaos? We need rules people.

Comment

You can edit after sign up. Just click the "Edit Details" button on your script page. Let us know what needs to be changed, and we change it, almost always within twelve hours.

As for my words being "as long as a few weeks," I'm curious where you're quoting that from, because I've never described the time frame in that way. It will vary, yes, based on demand, but our current estimate is two weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X