X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New Black List

Hi Franklin,

So far I like what I'm reading here but...

Let's say I write a raunchy comedy script. A Blacklist reader
    gives it a very high mark. At this point does Blacklist go
    proactive and send out email alerts to industry professionals who
    have professed an interest in raunchy comedies, or does Blacklist
    wait for the industry professionals to log in to the site and search around?
    PuppyTummy.com

Comment

Obviously, if a logline is badly written, meandering, illogical, typo filled, etc., one would probably rightly assume that the script is a mess as well.

But the point I was making with Ham's example (sorry Ham), was that he queried for a long time with no read requests, until a lucky fluke happened, and he finally got someone to read his script, and they loved it. And it was not because his logline was badly written, per se, but probably because no matter how much lipstick he put on the pig, it still sounded like a pig in his LL - an uncommercial sounding script from an unknown writer. But the fact of the matter was - his execution of the concept was so good that it made it a viable project.

I think that that could be the case for many good scripts, that are commercial on some level, but that have loglines that don't spark read requests, even though they may be well executed.

In that respect, I think this BL3 could be a really great venue, especially for those writers who don't have a logline that sounds like a high-concept, big commercial, sure thing. If they get well-reviewed, maybe they can start getting reads finally, that they couldn't get just by cold-querying. And then the script can stand or fall based on its own merits, and not at the mercy of just its logline.

I just wish they would let you get the first review, before paying the fee to join, and not let all of the unrepped writers see every other writer's stuff. Among other things, it messes up the stats. But the important part is whether or not the professionals looking for scripts will really use this method, read some scripts, and participate in reviews. I'm really rooting for it to be a success, because I think it could be a good thing for writers and pros alike.
      "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
        Loglines are not scripts. Loglines suck. And good loglines are often lies. A well executed script means there is a talented writer. If there is a system that is slanted towards loglines, that is inverse of where the slant should be, no?
        Originally posted by halloweenjak View Post
        Agree. And my script is just the opposite.

It has a horrible logline, as Lowell pointed out. My logline sounds like a bad Scooby Doo episode, and if I posted in on the Black List site would get ignored.
        I hate to agree with halloweenjak because he unabashedly referred to me as a moron recently (Grr), but he and BDZ are spot on.

So many loglines don't do justice to the script. Mine has an out of this world story, and is chock-full of futuristic, philosophical themes, but I can't cram all that into one bloody sentence.

So the result is a hollow, amateurish logline, which to date, hasn't gotten me any reads.
        I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

I don't know, man. If your logline sucks (and by that, I mean your concept sucks), it's probably a good indicator of whether that script is worth your time or not. Because if the shitty idea behind that script is well-executed, it doesn't really matter. It's still a shitty idea.

But if there's a good idea behind it, then it worth seeing whether or not the script is executed well.

I don't see how anyone can say, "My logline sucks but the script is great." Because you're essentially saying the idea behind your story sucks. And if so, who wants to read/watch a story with a shitty idea?

Comment

Originally posted by cshel View Post
            Obviously, if a logline is badly written, meandering, illogical, typo filled, etc., one would probably rightly assume that the script is a mess as well.

But the point I was making with Ham's example (sorry Ham), was that he queried for a long time with no read requests, until a lucky fluke happened, and he finally got someone to read his script, and they loved it. And it was not because his logline was badly written, per se, but probably because no matter how much lipstick he put on the pig, it still sounded like a pig in his LL - an uncommercial sounding script from an unknown writer. But the fact of the matter was - his execution of the concept was so good that it made it a viable project.

I think that that could be the case for many good scripts, that are commercial on some level, but that have loglines that don't spark read requests, even though they may be well executed.

In that respect, I think this BL3 could be a really great venue, especially for those writers who don't have a logline that sounds like a high-concept, big commercial, sure thing. If they get well-reviewed, maybe they can start getting reads finally, that they couldn't get just by cold-querying. And then the script can stand or fall based on its own merits, and not at the mercy of just its logline.

I just wish they would let you get the first review, before paying the fee to join, and not let all of the unrepped writers see every other writer's stuff. Among other things, it messes up the stats. But the important part is whether or not the professionals looking for scripts will really use this method, read some scripts, and participate in reviews. I'm really rooting for it to be a success, because I think it could be a good thing for writers and pros alike.
            Cshel I more or less agree. I think I chimed in at a bad time. I wasn't really commenting on the validity of this service, I was just saying why I think with traditional querying loglines are a necessary evil. I absolutely agree that the best thing to have in this game is a great script. Absolutely. Again, I apologize for making such an off topic comment in this thread. I still haven't made up my mind on this new blacklist service for a few reasons, but yeah, I never meant a logline was more important.
            Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
              I don't know, man. If your logline sucks (and by that, I mean your concept sucks), it's probably a good indicator of whether that script is worth your time or not. Because if the shitty idea behind that script is well-executed, it doesn't really matter. It's still a shitty idea.

But if there's a good idea behind it, then it worth seeing whether or not the script is executed well.

I don't see how anyone can say, "My logline sucks but the script is great." Because you're essentially saying the idea behind your story sucks. And if so, who wants to read/watch a story with a shitty idea?
              Again, I'm not referring to a shitty concept, or a poorly written logline.
              "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
                If this is a reference to me, mine isn't a shitty idea.

It's an idea that will inevitably draw comparisons to stories which have dealt with a similar hook.

It will spark pigeonholing, for people who like to pigeonhole as a matter of expediency.

I stand by my story, but can't convey it in a single sentence.

I think loglines are a shortcut to thinking, and reading.

Comment

If you can't sell your script to a studio in thirty seconds, how is the studio supposed to sell the movie to an audience in thirty seconds?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                    If you can't sell your script to a studio in thirty seconds, how is the studio supposed to sell the movie to an audience in thirty seconds?

The way they always have.

Famous actors.

If "Pulp fiction" was pitched by a no name, give me a logline that would convey the excellence of that script.

Without mentioning the stars.

Comment

Famous actors.

If "Pulp fiction" was pitched by a no name, give me a logline that would convey the excellence of that script.

RUSSELL: All right, tell me, tell me about the stories. What kind of stories?

GEORGE: Oh, no. No stories.

RUSSELL: No stories? So, what is it?

GEORGE: What'd you do today?

RUSSELL: I got up and came to work.

GEORGE: There's a show. That's a show.

RUSSELL: How is that a show?

JERRY: Well, uh, maybe something happens on the way to work.

GEORGE: No, no, no. Nothing happens.

JERRY: Well, something happens.

RUSSELL: Well, why am I watching it?

GEORGE: Because it's on TV.

RUSSELL: Not yet.

Comment

Oh, you've written the next Pulp Fiction. Well then, carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                          Oh, you've written the next Pulp Fiction. Well then, carry on.
                          No. The point is there might be the next "Pulp Fiction" out there, and no logline would convey its excellence.

The point is if "JAws" and "Deep Blue Sea" were pitched cold, by no names, with no bestseller and no info other than a logline, "Deep Blue Sea" might seem more attractive to a producer these days.

More sharks.

But let's not make this nasty , Lowell.

Comment

I'm having trouble articulating what I mean. I guess it's low concept versus high concept, and what's typically sure-fire commercial. Two unknown writers query their scripts. The typical first gatekeeper readers are young men. You query Juno and The Terminator. Or Little Miss Sunshine and Predator. Or The Kids Are Alright and Source Code. What gets read requests. What became commercially and critically successful based on great word of mouth. Which was sold based on concept. Which was sold based on execution. Which benefits more from BL3 with good reviews versus typical cold-querying with no review. Why don't I just shut-up.

Comment

Famous actors.

That's really not the way movies are sold.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
                                That's really not the way movies are sold.

You're wrong.

I'm the audience. They're sold to me, and the millions of us out there.

You're talking about insider decisions.

I know what Hollywood does to get me to go to a movie.

You don't have to be an insider to know that. Okay?

Comment

Working...
                                X