X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The New Black List

Originally posted by Gillyflower Cooms View Post
    This isn't the same Black List, dood. This is a new service just like Inktip except it's using the Black list name...the guy who created the Black List never made a dime from it...this is his way to cash in.
    Truth.

Comment

For all of you wondering, it's the same Black List, just an expanded version.

I am Franklin Leonard. The same guy that created the first list while a development executive at Appian Way back in 2005.

I don't know InkTip's service well, so I can't speak to the primary differences, nor do I see them as competition. We are offering something singular and for a, for the most part, lower price point.

I believe InkTip provides in depth coverage. We do not. We provide a brief evaluation and then use the content of that evaluation (which the writer and choose to make public or keep private, entirely their prerogative) to identify the best scripts which are then spotlighted for our membership of, currently, almost 1200 film industry professionals, which is, I believe, far more than what InkTip can offer.

More on that as I learn more about InkTip, but again, to be very, very clear, we do not view them as competition. From what I understand, their coverage service is quite strong.

Comment

Franklin, certainly there is a big rush today, but about timing - How long do you expect it to take to get the $50 notes/review/rec?

Here's why I ask. It seems that one has to pay the $25 monthly fee to be listed in order to pay the $50 to be reviewed. As I understand it, you only make a review available to others if the writer agrees.

So let's say I've written the world's greatest-ever script, and yet... your reviewer finds it to be not-so-much. In that case, I might want to take it down from your site and reconsider if maybe my self-assessment wasn't quite right. I'm wondering how long that time-arc might be. Thanks.

Comment

$25 a month PLUS $50 for a read?

Why not just query the people on the producers' list for free?

Well, one good thing that comes out of this is at least I won't have to be annoyed about not making the black list any more!
          "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post

Well, one good thing that comes out of this is at least I won't have to be annoyed about not making the black list any more!
            exactly.

Comment

I'm kind of excited by this. The Black List is a top-down list of recommended scripts. This is going to be the bottom-up list, and as long as Franklin's algorithm does its job it will hopefully force the cream to rise to the top, much like the original Black List.

It also puts a little more control in the hands of the writer to actively get in on the Black List's distribution channel. The caveat being you still need to be good enough to rank well and get the reads.

If my understanding is valid, why wouldn't this be a good thing? More great scripts getting into the hands of buyers.
              Vancouver Screenwriters Meetup Group

Comment

More reading fees.

There's a reason the WGA bans agencies from charging them, and it's not because they're a wickedly good idea for writers.

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
                  $25 a month PLUS $50 for a read?

Why not just query the people on the producers' list for free?

I'm confused. Isn't it still going to be the same pro Black List as before?

It sounds like this is just a separate service for amateurs that wouldn't have anything to do with the original Black List. Unless in some rare instance it led to a great script getting discovered that then went on to get on the Black List.

Is it a bad thing because they are taking advantage of new writers by charging them? Or are you saying it would diminish the importance of being on the Black List in some way?
                  "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Per linked article: "....The script will be evaluated by professional script readers, and, depending on its evaluation(s), read by as many as 1,000 film industry professionals who are currently a part of the membership site..."

So,I 'd want to know more about this aspect -- evaluated how -- skimmed? The first ten pages read? What would get you ten reads as opposed to a thousand?

And how many months would you have to keep a script up -- if it was hightly rated by an industry professional -- to ensure you were getting those reads? One month? Six? A year? That could really add up.

Comment

It seems like you'd almost have to pay for an evaluation, and get a good one, in order to really get any reads. But then after a month or two with no takers, you could just quit. I wonder if they let you get the evaluation for $50.00 bucks first, and then decide to be listed based on that, before you have to pay the $25.00, too. If you have a kick-ass concept and log, you might be best served to just query for free, but then again, if you have the money to spare, this might be easier?
                      "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
                        Per linked article: "....The script will be evaluated by professional script readers, and, depending on its evaluation(s), read by as many as 1,000 film industry professionals who are currently a part of the membership site..."

So,I 'd want to know more about this aspect -- evaluated how -- skimmed? The first ten pages read? What would get you ten reads as opposed to a thousand?

And how many months would you have to keep a script up -- if it was hightly rated by an industry professional -- to ensure you were getting those reads? One month? Six? A year? That could really add up.
                        It's interesting, because you could easily get rid of 90% of the material with a single reader who was tasked with simply determining if any script in question achieved a basic level of competency. Once you do that, then you lean on classifications, and the interactive nature of the system, i.e., industry participants indicating preferences over time which generates a Netflix like "recommend" list. Ultimately, you could conceivably end up with a manageable pool of material that would be put in front of folks who have already indicated a desire for it.

Comment

I'd be interested in knowing how many agents/managers/prodcos would actually read the scripts that received a favorable review.
                          "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Just signed up for the $25 service and am giving it a shot. There's already been about 3,000 uploads for scripts, so it's pretty freakin' popular at the moment.

Edit: 3,778 uploaded as of 2:30 PM PST.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
                              For all of you wondering, it's the same Black List, just an expanded version.

I am Franklin Leonard. The same guy that created the first list while a development executive at Appian Way back in 2005.

I don't know InkTip's service well, so I can't speak to the primary differences, nor do I see them as competition. We are offering something singular and for a, for the most part, lower price point.

I believe InkTip provides in depth coverage. We do not. We provide a brief evaluation and then use the content of that evaluation (which the writer and choose to make public or keep private, entirely their prerogative) to identify the best scripts which are then spotlighted for our membership of, currently, almost 1200 film industry professionals, which is, I believe, far more than what InkTip can offer.

More on that as I learn more about InkTip, but again, to be very, very clear, we do not view them as competition. From what I understand, their coverage service is quite strong.
                              Franklin, I appreciate your transparency. It would be helpful if you could post a sample review on the website. I'm interested in knowing just how close/extensive a read these scripts get.
                              "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Originally posted by CColoredClown View Post
                                Just signed up for the $25 service and am giving it a shot. There's already been about 3,000 uploads for scripts, so it's pretty freakin' popular at the moment.

Edit: 3,778 uploaded as of 2:30 PM PST.
                                Wow.....

Comment

Working...
                                X