Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Draft v8 Issue Question

Hi Everyone, Wondering if anyone is having issue using v8 versus the current v11. I currently am using version 8. I cannot upgrade to v11 (but I want to) as my PC uses Win7 op system, and v11 requires Win10. Just recently, within the past few months, when I open my scripts, the page view is locked on a page width of 3.5 inches. And I've tried every setting to get it back to the normal view, to change the page width, and nothing works to correct it. I called Final Draft's tech line, and they, rather rudely, dismissed me, saying v8 is not supported. I understand that, but we should be able to use v8, right? Has anyone also experienced this? If so, any tips to correct? Or is it a "lock out" tactic to force us to upgrade to v11? Appreciate any advice.

All Best,
    Mike
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 10-07-2020, 08:42 AM. Reason: Added tags

Re: Final Draft v8 Issue Question

I mean, v.8 has been obsolete on Macs (not just unsupported but literally unable to run under the OS) for over 3 years now. But you probably couldn't have run your copy of Final Draft from 1999 on any computer system in 2009 when v.8 was originally released either. Tempus fugit

Comment

I don't know what the issue is -- are you saying your screen is super tiny? I'd say reinstall it, but now I don't know if Final Draft will even authorize it again since it's so old... Maybe ask if you can upgrade to ver 9 for cheaper?

But the answer is upgrade your OS so you can upgrade Final Draft or buy another software program like Fade In that's cheaper and most people like better. I don't know the OS requirements, so still it may just be your OS that is holding you back.

I have a Mac and I use Final Draft 11 on newer iMac and Final Draft 9 on macbook. I think in college I started on ver. 3 maybe?

I know people hate it -- but it works fine for me over the years for the simple things I do.

Maybe ebay would lead to Final Draft 9 or 10 that may support Windows 7?

Comment

In all sincerity and in the friendliest spirit ...

Stop screwing around with Final Draft and always having to deal with crap like this.

Spend $80 and get Fade In. BTW, I have no financial interest in Fade In. I only know the creator of it online. The benefits:
        • Available for Windows, Mac, Linux.
        • You can export to Final Draft .fdx format. You can import both .fdr and .fdx format. And import/export really works.
        • You can use Fade In on all of your own personal computers (please, do the honest thing with this!). I have it on three computers right now.
        • You get FREE upgrades, and they come out fairly often.
        • Unicode compliant.
        • You can write alternate paragraphs (like Action paragraphs, Dialogue) and scene versions to have more than one version of a scene. Of course, you can save these and recall any alternate or version.
        • You can insert graphics. Unlikely, I know, except maybe for a title page.
        • You can create your own element types. This can be a lot more important than you might think, especially if you write for the stage.
        • Perfect export and import of Fountain text files. Fade In takes your text file and imports it to create a perfectly formatted screenplay. You can also paste text as Fountain into a screenplay, and Fade In will automatically convert the Fountain text into Fade In text.
        • You can get help from the creator of the program through email support, or you can ask questions here.
        • You can create notes and synopses.
        • This is a truly fantastic program. And using it means that you do not have to screw around with Final Draft anymore.
        • Check out the website and try the free demo.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by WritePaths View Post
          Hi Everyone, Wondering if anyone is having issue using v8 versus the current v11. I currently am using version 8. I cannot upgrade to v11 (but I want to) as my PC uses Win7 op system, and v11 requires Win10. Just recently, within the past few months, when I open my scripts, the page view is locked on a page width of 3.5 inches. And I've tried every setting to get it back to the normal view, to change the page width, and nothing works to correct it. I called Final Draft's tech line, and they, rather rudely, dismissed me, saying v8 is not supported. I understand that, but we should be able to use v8, right? Has anyone also experienced this? If so, any tips to correct? Or is it a "lock out" tactic to force us to upgrade to v11? Appreciate any advice.

All Best,
          Mike
          Hi, Mike. Does the text in the script wrap around and carry down long, skinny script pages, or is the screenplay normal and you can only see 3.5” of it? Have you tried using your cursor to “grab” a corner and expand the Graphic User Interface? Also, there are some little boxes to click in the upper corner to change views.

One thing that could cause this (and happened to me once) is a recently installed program or other add-on. This is especially true, it seems, of anything that is “free” or open-sourced. If you’ve recently installed another writing program or application, uninstall it or else don’t give it permission to control Final Draft.

I’ll crack open my Final Draft 9 in a little while and see if I can duplicate your issue. But, and ComicBent has a good argument, Fade In is the way to go. It works perfectly with every OS in my arsenal of computers, young or old. I have PCs and Macs, and I’m glad I got away from those overpriced updates and upgrades of other screenwriting programs.

Try Fade In; you’ll be glad you did. Then buy it.
          “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
            I mean, v.8 has been obsolete on Macs (not just unsupported but literally unable to run under the OS) for over 3 years now. But you probably couldn't have run your copy of Final Draft from 1999 on any computer system in 2009 when v.8 was originally released either. Tempus fugit

Understand that, JoeBanks. But it was designed to run on Win7, has been running fine on Win7 (no support or updates needed) for the 6 or so years I've owned it, so should continue to operate with no issues. I do understand that compatibility with future revisions could be an issue....

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
              I don't know what the issue is -- are you saying your screen is super tiny? I'd say reinstall it, but now I don't know if Final Draft will even authorize it again since it's so old... Maybe ask if you can upgrade to ver 9 for cheaper?

But the answer is upgrade your OS so you can upgrade Final Draft or buy another software program like Fade In that's cheaper and most people like better. I don't know the OS requirements, so still it may just be your OS that is holding you back.

I have a Mac and I use Final Draft 11 on newer iMac and Final Draft 9 on macbook. I think in college I started on ver. 3 maybe?

I know people hate it -- but it works fine for me over the years for the simple things I do.

Maybe ebay would lead to Final Draft 9 or 10 that may support Windows 7?

Hi Bono. Thank you for your suggestions. Yes, v8 only runs on Win7 (I'm not a Mac user), so would need to upgrade my PC to Win10 to use v11.

The screen view is still the same size lengthwise (letter, 11"), but the width is only 3.5". The ruler at the top of the page shows this. I've tried every every option to change it but it appears locked. I don't think it I can reload it and have it be operable at this point as it requires registration with the key and Final Draft does not support it any longer.

Thanks for advising about Fade In, but I need to stay with the industry standard as will be working with film industry folks who typically solely use Final Draft and I need to have that compatibility. So....it's looking like I'll have to upgrade to both Win10, and v11.

All Best,
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
                Hi, Mike. Does the text in the script wrap around and carry down long, skinny script pages, or is the screenplay normal and you can only see 3.5- of it? Have you tried using your cursor to "grab- a corner and expand the Graphic User Interface? Also, there are some little boxes to click in the upper corner to change views.

One thing that could cause this (and happened to me once) is a recently installed program or other add-on. This is especially true, it seems, of anything that is "free- or open-sourced. If you've recently installed another writing program or application, uninstall it or else don't give it permission to control Final Draft.

I'll crack open my Final Draft 9 in a little while and see if I can duplicate your issue. But, and ComicBent has a good argument, Fade In is the way to go. It works perfectly with every OS in my arsenal of computers, young or old. I have PCs and Macs, and I'm glad I got away from those overpriced updates and upgrades of other screenwriting programs.

Try Fade In; you'll be glad you did. Then buy it.

Hi TigerFang. Really appreciate your feedback.

It's really odd, and never has done this prior....the screen view is still the same size lengthwise (letter, 11"), but the width is only 3.5"....0 to 3.5" shows in the ruler at the top of the page. So it is a long, thin strip of writing. I've tried every every option to change it but it appears locked, like a margin lock. I don't think it I can reload it and have it be operable at this point as it requires registration with the key and Final Draft does not support it any longer. And I have not installed any other program recently either.

Thanks for advising about Fade In, but as I also mentioned to Bono in his post back, I need to stay with the industry standard as will be working with film industry folks who typically solely use Final Draft and I need to have that compatibility. So....it's looking like I'll have to upgrade to both Win10, and v11.

All Best,
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                  In all sincerity and in the friendliest spirit ...

Stop screwing around with Final Draft and always having to deal with crap like this.

Spend $80 and get Fade In. BTW, I have no financial interest in Fade In. I only know the creator of it online. The benefits:
                  • Available for Windows, Mac, Linux.
                  • You can export to Final Draft .fdx format. You can import both .fdr and .fdx format. And import/export really works.
                  • You can use Fade In on all of your own personal computers (please, do the honest thing with this!). I have it on three computers right now.
                  • You get FREE upgrades, and they come out fairly often.
                  • Unicode compliant.
                  • You can write alternate paragraphs (like Action paragraphs, Dialogue) and scene versions to have more than one version of a scene. Of course, you can save these and recall any alternate or version.
                  • You can insert graphics. Unlikely, I know, except maybe for a title page.
                  • You can create your own element types. This can be a lot more important than you might think, especially if you write for the stage.
                  • Perfect export and import of Fountain text files. Fade In takes your text file and imports it to create a perfectly formatted screenplay. You can also paste text as Fountain into a screenplay, and Fade In will automatically convert the Fountain text into Fade In text.
                  • You can get help from the creator of the program through email support, or you can ask questions here.
                  • You can create notes and synopses.
                  • This is a truly fantastic program. And using it means that you do not have to screw around with Final Draft anymore.
                  • Check out the website and try the free demo.

Thanks ComicBent. I wouldn't mind switching, however, if you've read my replies to Bono and TigerFang, I really need to be in sync/compatible with the industry standard in the film industry. I've read that something like 95% of screenwriters use Final Draft.

All Best.
                  Mike

Comment

Thanks for advising about Fade In, but as I also mentioned to Bono in his post back, I need to stay with the industry standard as will be working with film industry folks who typically solely use Final Draft and I need to have that compatibility. So....it's looking like I'll have to upgrade to both Win10, and v11.
                    I was seconds away from posting my six to seven paragraph response to all the above, but figured I'd not launch into all that (just yet), and rather simply ask, who are these industry folks you are going to be working with and on what? You don't have to be overly specific for privacy sake, but what is all this for? And when are you starting to work with them? Right now? Six months from now? A year from now?
                    Will
                    Done Deal Pro
                    www.donedealpro.com

Comment

I will just add this to what Will said, but of course I do not know what else he might have wanted to say. These are just my own thoughts.

Just for the record ... and in no particular order and in no strict hierarchy of arrangement:
                      • I have (or have had) every version of Final Draft from 4.x through version 10. I decided that I would never again buy Final Draft. It is expensive, and you have no idea how many email pleas I used to receive (and still occasionally do) from people around the world whose screenplay has been corrupted and they are now receiving a message like "Not compatible with this version of Final Draft." In such cases, nothing can be done. You just have to hope that you have a good backup copy (these are made automatically, but a few people have somehow lost these, too, although the usual problem is that the person just does not know about the existence of the backups). Final Draft is enjoyable to use. It has a gorgeous interface (the later versions). It produces great reports (which most people at your level of experience probably do not use anyway). But, again, it is too expensive.
                      • I used to help various people with their screenplays (usually for free except for foreigners who could not handle English well and whose scripts really needed extensive rewriting). I assure you that you can receive a Final Draft .fdr or .fdx file and open it in Fade In, work on it in Fade In, and then export to Final Draft .fdx. (It does not export to .fdr format because that is an old Final Draft format.) Or you can write a new script in Fade In and then export to Final Draft .fdx. I have done this many times.
                      • If you sell a script, you should get a portion of the sale price up front. Then, if you really think that you must have Final Draft, buy it with some of that money, and buy a new Windows computer, too. They are really very cheap these days.
                      • Version 8 goes back to some time before January 2014, when version 9 was released. Without doing a deep search, I could not even find the release date of version 8. That is a long time ago in computer software years. Your version 8 is not going to be compatible with the computers and software that other people are using (if I understand all of this correctly), so you are not accomplishing anything by trying to fix version 8. You can at least look at the trial copy of Fade In to see what you think.
                      • You might or might not be aware that some highly successful screenwriters use Fade In. Really, it's true.
                      • Fade In works fine with Windows 7. I am using an old laptop right now that is Windows 7, and it has the most current release of Fade In on it, which I downloaded just the other day. Remember that with Fade In you pay once, and then you get free upgrades, for use on any of your own personal computers.
                      Anyway, good luck, and let us know if we can help you.

I do not have Final Draft on this computer, but here is a final thought. Check your page size setup to make sure that something did not get unintentionally changed from US Letter size to something smaller.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Hi TigerFang. Really appreciate your feedback.

It's really odd, and never has done this prior....the screen view is still the same size lengthwise (letter, 11"), but the width is only 3.5"....0 to 3.5" shows in the ruler at the top of the page. So it is a long, thin strip of writing. I've tried every every option to change it but it appears locked, like a margin lock. I don't think it I can reload it and have it be operable at this point as it requires registration with the key and Final Draft does not support it any longer. And I have not installed any other program recently either.

All Best,
                        Mike
                        Mike,

Before you pull the trigger on that much capital outlay for a new Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OS (which will cost $199) and Final Draft 11 (which will cost from $199 to $249), try a few of the things that make “global changes” to your document. You’ll feel ridiculous if you spend all that cash and you could have adjusted the tabs in the ruler. Also, be certain you’re not getting “pranked” by the people you’re working with to make you buy a lot of unnecessary hardware and software. Okay, but just be certain. Some knuckleheads in L.A. tried to pull something similar on me long ago and they had the tables turned on them.

First, I’m fairly certain you could deauthorize your Final Draft, re-install it, and use the key to activate the product again. Just because Final Draft no longer supports your version 8 (my version 9) doesn’t mean your key stopped working.

Second, here is the User Manual for your version of Final Draft: Final Draft version 8 User Guide Book. Go to Chapter 5, page 117, for “Page View” information.

I attempted to recreate your issue but I couldn’t remember what it was that caused this for me way back when (long ago). Try these:

1.) Adjust the tabs in your ruler to 1.5” and 7.5”.

2.) If that doesn’t help, go to “Format,” “Elements” and choose “Paragraph.” Click on each element to see if they are at their default settings or if they were changed when your cat walked on the keyboard when you were away.

3.) You may have wanted to click on “Clear Revised” and instead accidentally clicked on “Lock Pages.” Go to “Production,” then choose “Locking Tools,” then “Unlock All Pages.” From there you might see a warning that doing so will reset all “A” and “B” pages. Choose “Yes.”

Otherwise, I don’t know what to tell you to do to “fix” it, but I’m sure it can be undone. As stated earlier, this happened to me with an earlier version of Final Draft (maybe version 8, like yours), but I cannot recall how I figured it out.

By the way, as ComicBent advised, Fade In exports and imports to the latest version of Final Draft file format. You’ll never be out of sync with your Hollywood friends with Fade In. You sound as though you “bought into” the myth that Final Draft is the be-all and end-all of screenwriting programs. Whoever tells you that is either not current on screenwriting programs or they own stock in Final Draft.

Anything’s possible, but if you’re writing a spec script, you’re most likely not going to be doing Scene Reports, Script Reports, Location Reports, Character Reports, Cast Reports, Statistics Reports, or ScriptNote Reports. That’s the reason Final Draft is the “industry standard,” as you claim (which is rapidly changing, by the way), because once a script gets a greenlight, yes, everyone needs to be able to trade reports and script versions. Final Draft simplifies that for the production folks. But if you are a spec screenplay writer, then you don’t need to waste your money on a screenwriting program with too many bells and whistles you may never use.

First things first: write your spec script and sell it, two challenges that are difficult to meet well and with a victory. I strongly suggest that you buy Fade In now, before you spend a wad of dough on what you’re planning. Save a bunch of money and take someone out to dinner.

Seriously, Fade In is truly worth the bucks you’ll spend for it, you’ll never have this issue with it as you are having with Final Draft (bugs), and the upgrades for Fade In are always free. You can’t beat that with a stick. Fade In works on my MacBook Pro OS X v. 10.11.6 and equally as well on my Windows 8 Pro on an HP xw8400 Workstation. I’ve been through a lot of upgrades on both platforms and they always work.

Download for free the trial version (fully functioning except for a watermark on your script pages). Do a test: import a Final Draft file into Fade In, work on it, then export it as a Final Draft file and send it to your friends. They won’t have any issues with it. Besides several hundred dollars, what do you have to lose?
                        Last edited by Clint Hill; 06-02-2020, 09:33 PM.
                        “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Download for free the trial version (fully functioning except for a watermark on your script pages). Do a test: import a Final Draft file into Fade In, work on it, then export it as a Final Draft file and send it to your friends. They won’t have any issues with it. Besides several hundred dollars, what do you have to lose?
                          Yeah, this is the bottom line to the whole discussion. Just try it for yourself.

I would just point out one thing that I did not make really clear before. If you are thinking about working with someone who has Final Draft, your version 8 may not even open a Final Draft 11 file. I do not know, but if 11 requires Windows 10, I would expect an incompatibility of a FD11 file with your FD8. In any case, versions later than yours have features that 8 does not have.

But with Fade In you can import any Final Draft .fdx file and export it back to the .fdx format.

Anyhow, think about giving it a free try. If you really like it, and you write a script with it, but you cannot afford to buy the program, I can take your script and remove the watermarks and create a PDF for you to submit somewhere. I cannot do this as an open offer to everybody, and I cannot do it for you indefinitely, but I am willing to help you get started with Fade In.

My email:
                          rolandraystroud (and the domain is gmail).

Comment

Fade In or Final Draft both will get the job done. You can export and import into either and they will work fine. So many options these days, no way you can't find a file that you can give to someone else to make it "compatible" if there is any issue. But 99% of the time you're just sending people a PDF so it does not matter what the original writing program used was anyway... people write on Word.

Fade In and Final Draft Upgrade to 11 are same price as far as I know. $79 bucks right?

Comment

The upgrade price of Final Draft 11 is $80 (rounding up), as is the cost of Fade In. (Subsequent upgrades of Fade In have been free.) The Final Draft website is not clear whether someone with version 8 would be eligible. But, in any case, the FD website states clearly that Version 11 requires at least MacOS 10.12 or Windows 10. The original poster is still running Windows 7. He would probably need new hardware to upgrade to Windows 10.

Comment

Working...
                              X