Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2018, 07:26 AM   #11
bmcthomas

Default Re: 2018 Oscar Nominations

LEGO Batman was the best Batman film I've ever seen. I didn't see Boss Baby, as I no longer have kids in that demographic, but from the trailers it didn't look Oscar worthy. Although - what is the criteria for best animated film? How much of it is about the animation vs the story? Incredibles 2 is going to win next year, I know that much.
bmcthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:00 PM   #12
figment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious Anjel View Post

Any surprises for you guys?

Shape of Water seems like the clear favorite for best picture. Has anyone seen it? Thoughts?
I was surprised Jake Gyllenhaal didn't get one for Stronger. That was a great performance.

I saw Shape of Water and thought it was okay. I'm shocked it's leading the pack of Oscar nominations, though. There seems to be no break-out movie this year, imo, because that didn't do it for me.

Anyone see Phantom Thread? Did you like it? I have a feeling Daniel Day-Lewis will win if this is his last performance.
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:48 PM   #13
TigerFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
Anyone see Phantom Thread? Did you like it? I have a feeling Daniel Day-Lewis will win if this is his last performance.
I've just seen Phantom Thread and it is absolutely worth every one of the six Oscar nominations it has received and deserves many more. It's far and away the best-written and all around best-crafted film on the Oscar nominations list. It's one of the best “Writer/Director” films I've seen.

Between “Best Picture” nominations Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri, The Shape of Water, and Phantom Thread, the Phantom Thread story is thoroughly sensible and complete, has the most intriguing reversals, and lands at movie's end without any questions whatsoever left unanswered.

Last edited by TigerFang : 02-10-2018 at 05:35 AM.
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:03 PM   #14
Joaneasley

Different strokes for different folks. I liked Shape of Water and Three Billboards best. Phantom Thread is at the bottom of my list.
Joaneasley is offline   Reply With Quote